Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Parking notice help

Hoping to get a bit of advice from the CL experts...

Came home tonight to a PCN for supposedly parking in a petrol garage for 25 hours.  As you may guess, I didn't spend over a day in a small petrol garage, I just went in there two days in a row (I blame the long commute and a tiny bladder!).  They have got my plate one day going in, and the next going out.

Seems like I can only reply in writing, otherwise I'd call to query it.  However I'm aware there is a bit of an art to challenging these things so want to get the written response right.

Does anyone know how to best argue it legally?  Am I right the 'ignore it and they'll go away' approach isn't recommended any more?

Any advice on the best way of making it go away?  

Comments

• Reading my link I would ignore it, but that is my thoughts, not advising you. 
  • Certainly advise you to look through the Money Saving Expert website on this matter

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/parking-ticket-appeals/

I've received two parking tickets in the last year; one from Parking Eye for parking over the allotted time @ Aldi in Dartford, I basically appealed by writing to Aldi by refusing to shop in there ever again if they wanted the fine upheld (Was promptly removed) - The other was when I accidentally parked all day in Tesco, Orpington... Forgot to move it after the allotted time what with it being next to where I work so got a Parking Fine from Euro Car Parks, on this occasion I simply ignored the letters (Didnt bother to appeal as knew it would be pointless) that I received for a few months and have long gone away.

Both times I made the decision based on what I read from the reviews on Money Saving Expert

Yes maybe I should have just paid the fines but at present the Car Parks seem to be ran by Companies who know they have no right to issue penalties (Hence its not a Parking fine but an Invoice) yet pray on those who'll be led by the fear of getting one of these in the post and rush to pay it without having to worry about the increase in payment after X number of days
  • Cheers both.
  • Got a ticket from Co-op in Sidcup.
    Ignored the letters on advice as it was an ‘invoice’ to pay rather than a fine.
    heard nothing since July 🤙🏼
  • My course of action would be to ignore it.
    If it came to a court action (Plaintiff has the burden of proof), my defence would be "the Plaintiff has taken ANPR data from 2 successive days but omitted one other entry event and one other exit event".
  • The should find it hard to prove something that didn't happen.
  • I would write to them, explaining clearly how you obviously weren't in the petrol station for 25 hours and just visited twice in 2 days, maybe even offer a bit of an anecdotal alibi, blame your bladder or whatever so they have the full explanation. Then just say that now you've explained it, you consider the matter closed and ignore any future correspondence from them - I think that way they'll be quicker to drop it.

They probably don't have a leg to stand on anyway, but I'd feel more comfortable semi-playing ball before they start upping the anti with increasingly urgent-sounding (but pointless) letters.
  • Was it a 'parking' or 'penalty' notice?

If the former then ignore it and any subsequent threatening letters you receive. They are not legally enforceable.

A penalty notice will have been issued by a local authority and would have to be paid otherwise you'll end up in court.

• Out of interest (and to avoid) which garage was it @North Lower Neil?

P.S agree with Big_Bad_World, and others who have recommended money saving expert. I got off a PCN ticket in an Erith carpark via an appeals process. Issued by Smart Parking and appealed to POPLA.
  • Sponsored links:

• Cobham Services.
  • Cobham Services.
    Which Company is the notice from?
  • I got a ticket at Pease Pottage Service station - got in touch with the company that managed it and the appeals process was relatively simple. They went back and checked the camera footage and withdrew the notice within a few hours.

This type of thing is relatively common unforunately.
  • Cobham Services.
    Euro Car Parks.
  • I got a ticket at Pease Pottage Service station - got in touch with the company that managed it and the appeals process was relatively simple. They went back and checked the camera footage and withdrew the notice within a few hours.

This type of thing is relatively common unforunately.
    I can't see them pursuing it through courts etc given it seems an obvious automated error etc, bit just want to make my argument as decent as possible.  

Will be replying tomorrow so thanks for the advice above, I'll try the templates etc.
  • Cobham Services.
    Euro Car Parks.
    Really dont think you have anything to worry about them

Based on other reviews that I read up about them they issue a lot of Parking Tickets yet never enforce them if people dont pay / appeal - Apparently you'd join a very exclusive club if they did take you to court as they never follow through with their threats
  • Cobham Services.
    Euro Car Parks.
    Really dont think you have anything to worry about them

Based on other reviews that I read up about them they issue a lot of Parking Tickets yet never enforce them if people dont pay / appeal - Apparently you'd join a very exclusive club if they did take you to court as they never follow through with their threats
    I saw the same - fingers crossed.  Can't see one that daft being the odd one they decide to pursue either.
  • I just got one from Euro Car Parks for parking in the car park of the Royal Standard. I went to pick up my son from his school coach but it was running late and it was pissing down with rain so I went in for a drink.

just sent them the copy of my bank statement showing I bought a drink. 

If if they don’t accept the appeal I am still not going to pay. 
  • Do you have any evidence you were else where during the day in question, ie. credit card receipt. 
  • Dansk_Red said:
    Do you have any evidence you were else where during the day in question, ie. credit card receipt. 
    Probably not, would have only had petrol receipts and maybe a Tesco meal deal etc but wouldn't have kept the receipts.

Have 100 odd emails sent at work that day!

Guess that doesn't prove where the car was only me.  CCTV from the petrol station would soon make it obvious I wasn't parked there fot 24.5 hours.
  • Sponsored links:

• Dansk_Red said:
    Do you have any evidence you were else where during the day in question, ie. credit card receipt. 
    Probably not, would have only had petrol receipts and maybe a Tesco meal deal etc but wouldn't have kept the receipts.

Guess that doesn't prove where the car was only me.  CCTV from the petrol station would soon make it obvious I wasn't parked there fot 24.5 hours.
    The CCTV footage covered my appeal at the services - I entered the car park twice in the same day and for some reason the first exit wasn't logged. It was a simple enough and painless appeal.

I'm not sure why it happened as I've been using the same service station over a period of years without a problem.
  • Dansk_Red said:

The CCTV footage covered my appeal at the services - I entered the car park twice in the same day and for some reason the first exit wasn't logged. It was a simple enough and painless appeal.

I'm not sure why it happened as I've been using the same service station over a period of years without a problem.
    Yeah same here!
  • Dansk_Red said:

Yeah same here!
    Could it be that they have software saying show all the car regs that exist over a certain length of time and therefore miss the first exit & any return?
  • Sorry I meant same that I've used it for years with no issue.
  • Appealed this successfully.

Cheers for the advice!
    Some good news!