Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

My Summary of Roland's ownership

edited February 2019 in General Charlton
Ok this is off the top of my head, so figures are estimates.

Roland bought Charlton to build his property empire. He probably got a couple of land valuations and realised that it was worth or would be worth more than the £18M he paid.He probably intended to build a hotel, shops, offices etc like at St Truiden.

He thought we were a nice little club (possibly like Orient) and the fans would be happy for the club to just survive as long as we had a club.

He didn't realise our heritage and ambitions.

He planned to keep the club viable by developing (as above) and by producing and selling Academy players.

The network angle was also one of his drivers. Pooled knowledge across different football markets, utilisation of offloading players within clubs, with us primarily as the little Brother to Standard Liege. He quickly discovered Championship Standard was probably higher / tougher than he anticipated, thus the failure of Thuram, Nego etc

He had no ambition for the club other than survival and this is why he appointed Meire, because he didn't care and had no interest.

He was only interested in the Academy being run well.

The fans were always going to be a problem for him although I don't think he realised this at first.

This is why RD & Meire treated us with disdain, because we were/are the only block to his plans.

I believe he wanted to sell for £70M to get all his money back.

It now appears that he is maybe willing to sell for £50M, which in his mind is £50m for the freeholds and the club for free.

Comments

• I can sum it up in one word - bottom.
  • edited February 2019
    My one word to describe his ownership, whilst avoiding all the more appropriate expletives, is catastrophic.
  • I think you omit the network angle that I believe was also one of his drivers. Pooled knowledge across different football markets, utilisation of offloading players within clubs, with us primarily as the little Brother to Standard Liege. He quickly discovered Championship Standard was probably higher / tougher than he anticipated, thus the failure of Thuram, Nego etc
  • I think you omit the network angle that I believe was also one of his drivers. Pooled knowledge across different football markets, utilisation of offloading players within clubs, with us primarily as the little Brother to Standard Liege. He quickly discovered Championship Standard was probably higher / tougher than he anticipated, thus the failure of Thuram, Nego etc
    This, I believe, was this primary objective.
  • Ok this is off the top of my head, so figures are estimates.

Roland bought Charlton to build his property empire. He probably got a couple of land valuations and realised that it was worth or would be worth more than the £18M he paid.He probably intended to build a hotel, shops, offices etc like at St Truiden.

He thought we were a nice little club (possibly like Orient) and the fans would be happy for the club to just survive as long as we had a club.
    He didn't realise our heritage and ambitions.

He planned to keep the club viable by developing (as above) and by producing and selling Academy players.

He had no ambition for the club other than survival a[nd this is why he appointed Meire, because he didn't care and had no interest.

He was only interested in the Academy being run well.

The fans were always going to be a problem for him although I don't think he realised this at first.

This is why RD & Meire treated us with disdain, because we were/are the only block to his plans.

I believe he wanted to sell for £70M to get all his money back.

It now appears that he maybe willing to sell for £30M, which in his mind is £50m for the freeholds, less a £20M discount and the club for free.

I think the whole thing was a vanity project. To have an English football team and to launch the  career of a certain young lady friend. His knowledge of English football culture was FA.
    He should have stuck to electronics.
  • edited February 2019
    He cared enough to tell Chris Powell, that Polish Pete would replace Yann, Nego would replace Solly and Thurman would replace Hamer.  The academy conveyor belt was the money making scheme with Duchatelet hoping to have similar sell on clauses as he had with Batshuayi at Standard Liege. 
    His due diligences told him that Joe Gomez was a diamond and maybe a few more could be coming through.

Until the protests he Roland  thought he was the Father figure and we were his Children.
    (Dont mention Michael Jackson Sam !)

A strange dude from the start who has manifested into Dreyfus from the Pink Panther.
    I agree entirely. It was a rushed post and I should have added the above.
    I'll add your comment to it.
  • Here's my summary of his ownership:

It's been shit.

Short and to the point. I love a man who has a way with words!
  • He is still holding on.

We just need to completely demoralise him in every way. I just want the guy to quit ugly.

He is still trying to make money out of us ...but every day, that thought and belief is probably gradually declining.

His only argument is to blame English football. Blame the fans. Blame the FA. Blame Chris Powell. Blame Peter Varney.

No Roland. You didn't do your homework. Stop blaming everyone and everything....apart from yourself!

We also need to get Murrary and the bloke with the white hair...out of our club!!!

If Curbs is currently jobless but has a lot of cash and would like to invest in some way.

I'd love to see him involved with the future board of directors.
    He is the only one that could stop Murrary from behaving like an absolute bellend.

He must have some form of internal influence.

Good for morale...is old Curbs  
  • Sponsored links:

• I'd also add the financial fair play rules were more in his favour when he bought the club, see here - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/29940463

This obviously would have made competing in the Championship harder and more expensive from his point of view.

In a way you could argue it now hleps him, as Championship clubs may be willing to spend more on signing our better players.
  • Roland bought us to prove a point.
    Listen to his disdain when he mentioned the English model of football. He has utter contempt for it. From Owners to agents to fans. He wanted to prove that it could be done another way using a fraction of the money that we see sloshing around the industry on a daily basis.

He wanted to be the man that changed the face of football. Where the likes of people like him investing huge amounts actually see healthy returns instead of it all going into the pockets of players and their agents.

Where football fans, the lower echelons of society in his eyes, just turn up and pay the little money they have to watch any old shyte. After all, they're only there to see their friends and family. They couldn't care less about what is actually happening on the pitch.
    A vanity without sanity project that was doomed to failure the moment it was cooked up.