Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Next season, a disaster waiting to happen

Im thinking that this season is probably our best and only chance of promotion with RD as owner. 

With all of the players out of contract in the summer, and a good chance of Lee and JJ going we could be left with less then a skeleton of a first team set-up to build on. 

Whatever manager takes over (assuming Lee goes) would have an impossible task of assembling a squad. RD will only allow freebies and loans, and will probably make the budget even tighter. We could end with the Blackpool/Riga scenario from a few years ago, panic signing anyone who can kick a ball. What kind of team would that result in? At best youd be looking at a lower mid-table finish or worse. 

Comments

• If the (word we are not allowed to use) is still here next season the club will die whatever division we are in.
  • Next season is a disaster starting to happen now. The usual Roland transfer window outcome is already having its affect. 
  • Not worth worrying about yet.

Totally disagree- it certainly IS worth worrying about! Time to withdraw one's head from out of the sand methinks.
  • Oh, and the worst thing is you-know-who- doesn't give a flying.
  • Next season. ? Read - every season under this owner .
  • The most worrying thing for me is that if we fail to go up this season Bowyer JJ and half the squad will all leave. 
    This will result in a new manager coming in with a mandate that all he can bring in is free transfer players. 
    We will then struggle to finish in the top half of league one and our attendance will plumit .
    Roland being the financial genius that he is will continue to lose money but refuse to accept the losses that are of his own making .
    So this time next season when We are a bottom half third tier football club he will probably be looking to sell for about 80 million. 
    Unfortunately unless a sale happens soon I can only see this nightmare continuing indefinitely .
  • Jason Euell in Charge.

Phillips + 10 others mainly young players like Reeco and senior players like Pratley left.

7k crowds who only go to slag off the latest scapegoats.

Yes only an ostrich could disagree with that unfortunately.
  • Jason Euell in Charge.

Phillips + 10 others mainly young players like Reeco and senior players like Pratley left.

7k crowds who only go to slag off the latest scapegoats.

Yes only an ostrich could disagree with that unfortunately.

• edited February 2019
    But yes I agree, next season looks like potentially the most catastrophic under Uncle Roly if we don't get promoted of find some nutter willing to take us on.

If we went up and didn't sell we could be looking at a record low points total in the Championship, but at least we wouldn't be in League 1.
  • Sponsored links:

• I still have faith that the network will come good.

talking of which what clubs does he still own?
    Seems they do well after he has gone somehow haha

Standard and STVV both in top 5 in Belgium

talking of which what clubs does he still own?
    bar us obviously
  • Not worth worrying about yet.
    LOL!
  • edited February 2019
    With Roland still in charge we are in trouble, but with some money, there will be out of contract players to replace our out of contract players! Getting him out has never been so vital.
  • I think its likely RD will still be here in August. I reckon theres more chance of that then someone buying the club unfortunately.
  • If there is still no takeover because RD refuses to swallow his pride and accept a realistic price for the club...

What if he gets tired of losing £10m a year?
    What if he gets to thinking there might be another way to cut his losses?
    What if that leads him to liquidate the club and sell off the assets for whatever he can get?

If that sounds far fetched, remember we're talking about a raving lunatic here.
  • Can we let this season conclude in disaster first before we start worrying about next season? 
  • Yes, we are in a mess aren't we. Only one person to blame. RD. Leave our club.
  • Sponsored links:

• If there is still no takeover because RD refuses to swallow his pride and accept a realistic price for the club...

What if that leads him to liquidate the club and sell off the assets for whatever he can get?

What assets are they then? 
  • se9addick said:
    Can we let this season conclude in disaster first before we start worrying about next season? 

Probably exactly what RD said to Lee Bowyer on the phone last night when asked about his contract.
  • If you don’t think it’s anything to worry about you clearly haven’t seen what we’ll likely be left with. If we don’t go up this season or get a takeover done I’d be surprised if we even stay up next year. 
  • If you don’t think it’s anything to worry about you clearly haven’t seen what we’ll likely be left with. If we don’t go up this season or get a takeover done I’d be surprised if we even stay up next year. 
    Serious question(s) - how many players do League One clubs, who have been in L1 for a few years tend to have signed up with multi-year terms left on their contracts? Seems to me the normal contract length in this division is two years, so a decent chunk of your players will be out of contract every summer. Additionally, if we were to be promoted to the Championship wouldn’t having greater financial flexibility due to not carrying too many of the current squad (most of which I really don’t think could compete at that level) actually be a good thing?

I’m not crediting Duchatelet with any sort of strategic genius here, and not at least tying the manager down is bad form, I’m just not certain it’s the calamity that many are making out. 
  • CAFCTrev said:
    Im thinking that this season is probably our best and only chance of promotion with RD as owner. 

With all of the players out of contract in the summer, and a good chance of Lee and JJ going we could be left with less then a skeleton of a first team set-up to build on. 

Whatever manager takes over (assuming Lee goes) would have an impossible task of assembling a squad. RD will only allow freebies and  tells meloans, and will probably make the budget even tighter. We could end with the Blackpool/Riga scenario from a few years ago, panic signing anyone who can kick a ball. What kind of team would that result in? At best youd be looking at a lower mid-table finish or worse. 
    good post .. like you I have been saying that promotion is a must this season for many reasons .. fan loyalty, people interested in buying the club, player contracts, managerial comings and goings …

I still think this is the case .. BUT .. devil's advocacy time ..  a cold, hard look at a worst possible scenario ..
     players go ... the players who were on long and lucrative contracts and were not good enough to get us promoted .. 
    solution ? .. there will be scores of players young and old with experience of the lower divisions who'd jump at the chance of joining CAFC. How many Luton, Barnsley, Doncaster and (say) Lincoln players are household names or would be recognised as 'star players' ?

Fan loyalty ? .. nothing new here. I used to stand on the old Valley terraces seemingly all alone amongst attendances in the 3 to 4 thousand range .. a few good results and the waverers will return. Lots of clubs in the lower divisions exist on small crowds. It's all a case of managing budgets and resources.

Managerial turnover ? .. IF Bowyer and Jackson want to leave or get better offers, so be it. We've lost managers before and the club has survived

Ownership ? .. The price might well drop to an attractive/realistic level as we are seen as a basket case of a club and therefore a bargain to a far seeing entrepreneur, rather as M Ashley keeps buying seemingly white elephant department store companies .. this of course depends on the Belgian twerp seeing the light at last and taking the money on offer 

I REPEAT .. I see promotion as a MUST this season .. however, must is not a gimmee .. the club and its loyal fans will survive come promotion, relegation or stagnation
  • What will it take for Roland to see sense?

guess he means the prime real state that is the valley and sparrows lane. 
  • What will it take for Roland to see sense?
    Someone to make him an offer he can't refuse. 

There's The Valley and the training ground to start with. Not much value without planning permission to redevelop them, but like I pointed out, RD doesn't do rational.