Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post match views: Charlton v Southend

Comments

• Pearce is probably the next injury to return...but our current best player is in his position. Mind you, 3 at the back looked great today so Pearce flanked by Bauer and Sarr in the next game could be a shout
  • Williams class
    Parker class
    Sarr class

Fosu dreadful
    Marshall dreadful

Ref was poor too.

Powell has created an anti-football team. Chopping players down and time wasting from 20 mins in. Wouldn't be sad if they went down 
  • Leuth said:
    alicwkd said:
    Everyone is pointing out how poor Fosu was and I agree, but I also thought Marshall was awful.
    Marshall had his man on toast but the final ball was abysmal (except once)
    Agreed, he was woeful but he was playing up front first half. Looked a bit better in the second half but his final ball was as you say abysmal. Unfortunately I think that's about the 20th time I have said this after a game. We have little creativity in the final third and nobody to put the ball in the net, hopefully the returns of Aribo and Taylor change that. 
  • Leuth said:
    I would start Marshall in the next game and challenge him to put better crosses in. He's a confidence player and I think he needs to be shown a bit of love
    He's been here over a season and a half and he is a winger by trade, if he can't put better crosses in now he never will. 
  • Leuth said:
    I would start Marshall in the next game and challenge him to put better crosses in. He's a confidence player and I think he needs to be shown a bit of love
    Yeah keep someone in to the detriment of the side because we don't want to hurt his feelings.

Have we ever seen a Marshall that's been good enough? He's a sub to bring on when we're already winning. 
  • Sponsored links:

• No Taylor no wins. Was always gonna be hard once Grant had gone , thank god Taylor's back next week , let's hope he remembers where the goal is and strikes up an understanding with Parker quickly!
  • Having seen Fosu score a hatrick at Fleetwood last season and knowing what ability he has I can only come up with one conclusion. 
    He knows his contract is up in the summer and his agent has told him he has offers from championship clubs  because he is playing like he just doesn't care at the moment. 
    I would be amazed if this is true. Yes he might be worth a punt but why would any Championship team want him? It's not just today he was poor, he has been shite all season. 
  • Leuth said:
    He's been here over a season and a half and he is a winger by trade, if he can't put better crosses in now he never will. 
    He got the assist at least and he's what we have. We need Marshall firing if we want to win the playoffs
  • Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    He got the assist at least and he's what we have. We need Marshall firing if we want to win the playoffs
    We do but it's not going to happen. He hasn't done it in a year and a half so what makes you think he will start doing it now? I don't mind him because at least he gives 100% and bringing him on to protect a fullback 1-0 up in the 75th min is the right thing to do. But as for him running down the wing and putting Beckham esq crosses in, it's just not going to happen. 

We have no width. I like Bowyer and he has done an excellent job but Robinson received a lot of stick for his stubborness with a formation, but he is quickly following suit. At least he changed the formation at 1-0 though, something Robinson wouldn't have done. 
  • We should be winning these games, even with out Taylor. 
    If that had been a play off semi final first leg, we would be staring at another season in L1. 
    If the game at roots hall was the second leg, we would be going to Wembley 
  • Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    We do but it's not going to happen. He hasn't done it in a year and a half so what makes you think he will start doing it now? I don't mind him because at least he gives 100% and bringing him on to protect a fullback 1-0 up in the 75th min is the right thing to do. But as for him running down the wing and putting Beckham esq crosses in, it's just not going to happen. 

We have no width. I like Bowyer and he has done an excellent job but Robinson received a lot of stick for his stubborness with a formation, but he is quickly following suit. At least he changed the formation at 1-0 though, something Robinson wouldn't have done. 
    It was a great tactical switch. Marshall is a real option for wing-back if we want to play 3 at the back in future (which I think we might do, as above) - what he lacks in delivery he makes up for in tenacity and defensive ability.

Purrington isn't really a wing-back, is the converse problem, but I don't think he'd be the worst option - he can certainly get in the box and win headers
  • From what I remember, Igor was never a striker who fed off balls in the air. He liked it into feet or to run in behind, yet today he was just sent constant aimless balls in the air. 

Fosu hugely frustrating to watch. Has the confidence to regularly not play the easy ball, but then loses possession numerous times. If I were Bowyer I'd drop him next game.

Nabby MotM. 

Southend were the kings of time wasting. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2019
    cabbles said:
    Having seen Fosu score a hatrick at Fleetwood last season and knowing what ability he has I can only come up with one conclusion. 
    He knows his contract is up in the summer and his agent has told him he has offers from championship clubs  because he is playing like he just doesn't care at the moment. 
    He was appalling.  Bielik was once again too casual in possession.  Fair play to Reeves for the goal but he gave the ball away for their opener.  Vetokele completely went missing.  Not enough out there in terms of urgency and cutting edge.  

Felt Parker looked decent and a presence when he came on.  Would like to see him start with Taylor next week.  

Really frustrating day and I just hope when we get Taylor back we have enough to get the final play off spot 
    Totally agree ! Also why is Vetokele starting over a fully fit Josh Parker!? Bowyer does baffle me sometimes 
  • edited February 2019
    Fosu looks short on confidence to me. Don’t buy the idea he isn’t trying. If anything he’s trying too hard and overthinking when he’s in positions to pass or shoot. That slight hesitation is leading to him taking an extra touch or allowing defenders to get a tackle in. 

The whole team looks devoid of confidence right now. Such a turn around from a few weeks ago when we looked unstoppable. First the Aribo injury, then the Taylor suspension, and finally the Grant sale all seem to have eroded away at our momentum.

Automatic promotion briefly looked a real possibility but we can’t buy a break right now and I think it’s but gone barring a run to end all runs. 

Bowyer has had a bit of a job on now to get everyone fit and rebalance this team so we a) don’t fall out of the playoff picture as well and b) are the form team going into them. 
  • Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:

It was a great tactical switch. Marshall is a real option for wing-back if we want to play 3 at the back in future (which I think we might do, as above) - what he lacks in delivery he makes up for in tenacity and defensive ability.

Purrington isn't really a wing-back, is the converse problem, but I don't think he'd be the worst option - he can certainly get in the box and win headers
    I agree, Marshall and Page would be decent options at wing-back. Only way Marshall should get a starting position. I also agree about Purrington, would be ok but Page would be a better wing back. 
  • PWR.

I am saying well done to Southend to start off with.
    Their keeper won them that point, after playing for an hour with ten men, they might have even won it at the end. I don't blame them for doing everything to try to run down the clock, but I do think their seemingly deliberate targeting of Williams early on led to the red card and was where they messed up.
    Where we messed up was not having the players available, especially up front. We didn't not try, we weren't diffident or complacent, but Southend built a wall that we could only breach once, with a goal I can't decide was jammy or brilliant. The Southend goal was strangely brilliant yet jammy with the deflection, work that one out.
    A very disappointing result, and it must feel like a very odd one for Southend seeing as they rarely draw games.
    It isn't easy to discern meaningful stuff from a game disjointed by injuries for both teams, and unbalanced with 11v10, and substitutions changing structures within the match. Marshall did at least contribute an assist, and I think Igor had about one effort, but for the little they worried Southend it sometimes felt like 10v9. Fosu again wasn't at it for long enough periods in the game and was scant threat, so that kind of made it 10v8!
    Our team was carried along by Belik, Sarr, Williams and Cullen in the main, with some support from others like Reeves, but for all the honest effort we put in, we simply were weakened by the absence of Taylor and Grant and Bauer and not good enough to force a win. Parker wasn't terrible.
    Disappointing result, but I am not looking for excuses or blame, this time I am taking the Bowyer line and saying 'it is what it is'.
  • Blame the two wingers but Williams, Reeves and Cullen should be creating more also.
  • Leuth said:
    Pearce is probably the next injury to return...but our current best player is in his position. Mind you, 3 at the back looked great today so Pearce flanked by Bauer and Sarr in the next game could be a shout
    2 weeks away.