Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Work Charity Days

Like a lot of places nowadays, we get given one work day a year to go off and do something charitable - but when it comes to the end of the year (ours runs April-April) my mind runs blank and I can't think of anything to do or how to get into it.

So my hope is that (in-between squabbling and refreshing the takeover thread) the good people of Charlton Life may be involved in some charity work that either needs volunteers or will be able to give myself and others who want to get involved some inspiration?

Comments

• Are you looking for a team charity day - city farm or soup kitchen type event - or an individual skills based opportunity using your professional skills to benefit a good cause?
  • Are you looking for a team charity day - city farm or soup kitchen type event - or an individual skills based opportunity using your professional skills to benefit a good cause?

Either really, I find these days get really underutilised so personally I could wrangle a bunch together or do something individual.

I guess the dream scenario is to have your professional skills used by a charity for a day so they get the most out of it, but my thinking is that ultimately anything where I can just chip in is better than wasting it another year.
  • our office did one and we all worked at a homeless shelter/drop in centre in Streatham sorting out food donations (there were masses)

very rewarding day to be honest and gives you back a bit of perspective

Either really, I find these days get really underutilised so personally I could wrangle a bunch together or do something individual.

I guess the dream scenario is to have your professional skills used by a charity for a day so they get the most out of it, but my thinking is that ultimately anything where I can just chip in is better than wasting it another year.
    what are your professional skills?

Gynaecologist.
  • edited February 2019

Are you looking for a team charity day - city farm or soup kitchen type event - or an individual skills based opportunity using your professional skills to benefit a good cause?

Didn't want to make it too much about me, but nothing hugely useful - I'm a BA/management consultant... which realistically in a day (+ a bit more on the side if needed) means being handy on a computer having done a lot of excel data analysis, project planning, can maybe run a few workshops on strategy/challenges etc... but I dunno if that might be a bit indulgent/wanky when they'd rather someone just go in help sort out all the food at a homeless shelter - to use the example above.
  • Sponsored links:

• I did one of these a few years back when we were helping a community centre in Newham decorate and update their building and the surrounding garden/yard.

I got stuck outside paint the walls and all I got all day was people shouting abuse at me from cars/vans as they thought I was doing community service!

Last time I do anything like that!

i built bird boxes when i did community service
  • Did you feel a tit as well?
  • Like a lot of places nowadays, we get given one work day a year to go off and do something charitable - but when it comes to the end of the year (ours runs April-April) my mind runs blank and I can't think of anything to do or how to get into it.

So my hope is that (in-between squabbling and refreshing the takeover thread) the good people of Charlton Life may be involved in some charity work that either needs volunteers or will be able to give myself and others who want to get involved some inspiration?

What charitable stuff interests you? Pick that.

I sometimes have people for a day and unless it's a menial task that needs no explanation it's difficult to find something for them to do. This is because of the time needed to explain the task.
    So expect that might happen.

• our office did one and we all worked at a homeless shelter/drop in centre in Streatham sorting out food donations (there were masses)

very rewarding day to be honest and gives you back a bit of perspective

Sorted, got myself a day in at the warehouse at Greenwich food bank - sounds like a similar kind of thing! Cheers for the suggestions.

Now just got to find a ringer...
  • We are doing this where I work. I was hoping to "help out" at the local "Centre For Fallen Women". But no, we're gonna do something with dogs!! Mind you, could be the same thing I suppose.
  • I see you are now sorted but I meant to recommend another local self funding charity, WSUP in Woolwich. It’s a drop in centre for homeless on Tuesdays and Saturdays.

ive been meaning to get involved myself.

• edited February 2019
  • Also where i have added that link in my post above of the charity that i was referring to... it just made it look like one of the site's Adverts so i scrolled past it myself!

• Sponsored links: