Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Season Over?

With Karlan apparently joining Huddersfield for a reported 2 million, does that effectively mean we'll miss out on the playoffs, and our season is over, resigned to another season in purgatory (league one) or am i being too defeatist?

(Someone please cheer me up with the news we've got a belter, or a plethora of quality signings lined up).

Comments

• Too defeatist, we're still very likely to make play-offs before we consider who's coming in to replace him.

Whether we go up or not, who knows - but as things stand we're still 8 points clear of 7th.
  • Bowyer reckons two strikers coming in.

Grant is replaceable and whilst he has been fantastic this season, a lot of that is down to Taylor.

We'll get to the play-offs as a minimum with Grant or without him.

Grant is replaceable and whilst he has been fantastic this season, a lot of that is down to Taylor.

Bow only spoke of one pitchside after the game Saturday.
  • You'd hope not... We've created a nice buffer between ourselves and sixth place let alone seventh so dont see another season like the last where you saw teams down to ninth potentially in with a chance of getting into the Play-Offs

We might well miss out in the Play-Offs if we were to meet one of Sunderland or Barnsley

Yet what we need to ensure is that we replace Grant's goals, as @Sage said on another thread; Karlan's goals won us 18-points this season and without them we'd be in 15th, its certainly not as simple a fact that those goals would have been scored by someone else if they were playing instead of him - As a team we're not scoring enough and with Grant now gone that has to change if we want any hope of promotion regardless of who comes in
  • We got to the playoffs last year (in a stronger league) with Josh Magennis playing as the solo striker in the 4231.

Auto’s are a stretch now but I’m very confident we can do well in the playoffs
  • Macronate said:

If Grant goes, we will 100% be relegated.

Take off those rose-tinted specs FFS
  • Macronate said:

If Grant goes, we will 100% be relegated.

And I don’t think we will score another goal again all season.
  • Sponsored links:

• I know its sarcasm but of course we'll score more this season yet think we'll have to be more reliant on set pieces, especially if Grant's replacement cant pick up from what Karlan has achieved this season - i.e. take Saturday for example

Cullen and Reeves were the only two that had chances yet both attempts were equally powderpuff yet neither get into those positions often enough - As for Taylor he's either reliant on crosses into the box or set pieces as mentioned yet far too often these days he's out wide himself putting the deliveries in
  • With Karlan apparently joining Huddersfield for a reported 2 million, does that effectively mean we'll miss out on the playoffs, and our season is over, resigned to another season in purgatory (league one) or am i being too defeatist?

(Someone please cheer me up with the news we've got a belter, or a plethora of quality signings lined up).

I know you've had a difficult time of late, but this is ridiculous.
    You might have some justification if Grant goes and we get no one in or only a Dodoo.
    Let's see where we are on Friday when the window has closed.
  • edited January 2019
    Are we still in for the striker from Mansfield ?
  • edited January 2019
    If we had a bid accepted for The turkish messiah and he comes to us then I will be pleased... Karlan had one good season with us. I am glad Taylor is on a contract and happy to stay. I just get the feeling tharmt Roland will let Bow spend some of that money. A) he trusts what him and jacko are doing and b) I trust Bowyer and Gallen to get
    good replacements in.
  • Nah-In Bowyer we trust!
  • Grant has had a good season but ..£2m totally overpriced would not get £20 last year ... and Taylor has made him look even better.

We have to trust LB to sort it out - I fancy us at least play offs !! With or without Grant ( who I wish all the very best )

Len McCluskey and Mick Cash.
  • Come on people get some perspective. You are being far too defeatist. Hopefully Bowyer and remaining squad will have a lot more positivity and resolve.

We are potentially losing Karlan grant not Lionel Messi
  • Thank got KM didn't deal with this transfer otherwise we would have £200,000 for him.. (if tbat) !!
  • Sponsored links:

• jdsd42 said:

Grant has had a good season but ..£2m totally overpriced would not get £20 last year ... and Taylor has made him look even better.

We have to trust LB to sort it out - I fancy us at least play offs !! With or without Grant ( who I wish all the very best )

No more so than Josh Maja though who has moved from Sunderland for £3.5m - Goals win you games, goals make Strikers more expensive yet we've got a old twat of an owner who hasnt an ounce on sense in that regard
  • We already needed a forward with or without Grant leaving. If we don't get them, it's not season over, but it makes promotion incredibly difficult, especially automatic in my opinion.
  • You can't turn down £2m for where Karlan is at right now, but the value he brings to our side is in his partnership with Taylor. You can replace a striker, albeit doing so with goals is never straightforward, but that element of cohesion with his strike partner is going to be a real challenge.
  • jdsd42 said:

Grant has had a good season but ..£2m totally overpriced would not get £20 last year ... and Taylor has made him look even better.

No more so than Josh Maja though who has moved from Sunderland for £3.5m - Goals win you games, goals make Strikers more expensive yet we've got a old twat of an owner who hasnt an ounce on sense in that regard
    Sunderland could spend £1m of that and be more of a threat IMO. If we sell Grant for £2m, it is a question of how much of that Bowyer would be given.
  • jdsd42 said:

Sunderland could spend £1m of that and be more of a threat IMO. If we sell Grant for £2m, it is a question of how much of that Bowyer would be given.
    Looks like they're going to use that on Will Grigg

Just have a feeling we'll get a loan striker in and that'll be it
  • It does seem like the rug is being pulled from under our feet,however,let him go now,rather than trying till the last minute to keep him and then have no time to sort out replacements,as happened with Parker and Murphy.
  • Come on people get some perspective. You are being far too defeatist. Hopefully Bowyer and remaining squad will have a lot more positivity and resolve.

We are potentially losing Karlan grant not Lionel Messi

Agree. However, will whoever replaces him score a goal every other game? Doubtful, as if they were that prolific they wouldn't be in League 1. My main concern is that there are not enough goals coming from the midfield. It's not OK just to rely on your two front men -whoever they may be - to score in every game (coupled with the odd header from BFG or Pearce). I think this may cost us in the long run - especially if we get to the play-offs.
  • No. Taylor made him look good. Igor might not have the pace if grant but I have more condition Igor/hfc or anyone else coming in getting on the end of the chances grant has missed in recent weeks.