Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Emiliano Sala plane crash

This looks so tragic, but local reports say Cardiff’s new signing was on the plane that crashed last night. I hope I’m wrong.

Comments

• This looks so tragic, but local reports say Cardiff’s new signing was on the plane that crashed last night. I hope I’m wrong.

"Reports from France this morning say that the Cardiff City footballer Emiliano Sala was NOT on the plane - after rumours he was due to fly to the Welsh capital last night."
  • edited January 2019
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-guernsey-46954922

There is "genuine concern" Premier League footballer Emiliano Sala was on a flight missing off Alderney.
    It is feared the Argentine striker was one of two people on board the Piper Malibu, which disappeared near the Casquets lighthouse on Monday night.
    Cardiff City signed the 28-year-old from French club Nantes on Saturday.
    A coastguard rescue helicopter and crews from Alderney and Guernsey RNLI joined the search in the area around the lighthouse.
  • Daily Mail are saying that French Police have said he was on the plane
  • From Sky Sports

Cardiff City's record new signing, Argentina-born striker Emiliano Sala, was on board a light aircraft that disappeared over the English Channel on Monday night, police sources told AFP.

Sala, signed by Cardiff on Saturday from French club Nantes for a club record fee, was flying to Cardiff aboard a small plane that went missing around 20 kilometres (12 miles) north of the island of Guernsey.
  • Finger crossed for good news, whoever was on board.

Sadly when planes go missing there is very rarely any good news that follows.
  • Conflicting reports here?
  • Sponsored links:

• News wires saying he was on board
  • Conflicting reports here?

Initially but it's seeming more and more likely that he was on board.
  • French police have confirmed he was aboard
  • The city is in shock at the moment
  • Cardiff City Chairman has admitted that they're very concerned for Sala's safety (Must be if they cant get hold of him!!) whilst Nantes have now postponed their French Cup game which was scheduled for tomorrow night
  • Not intended to be insulting to a person's life here, but what happens in terms of the money Cardiff just spent on him, especially seeing as he hasn't kicked a ball in anger for them yet? Must be completely uncharted territory in that respect.

Fingers and toes crossed they find them alive, but you suspect it's already too late
  • Terrible tragedy, I think for many, me included, a plane crash must be your worse nightmare, from a victims perspective, and for all those they leave behind, knowing that potentially (especially in a light aircraft) your loved ones would have been frightened witless.
    Shocking news.
  • edited January 2019
    sam3110 said:

Not intended to be insulting to a person's life here, but what happens in terms of the money Cardiff just spent on him, especially seeing as he hasn't kicked a ball in anger for them yet? Must be completely uncharted territory in that respect.

Fingers and toes crossed they find them alive, but you suspect it's already too late

I imagine he's insured by Cardiff. Horrible way to think but it crossed my mind as well.
  • sam3110 said:

Not intended to be insulting to a person's life here, but what happens in terms of the money Cardiff just spent on him, especially seeing as he hasn't kicked a ball in anger for them yet? Must be completely uncharted territory in that respect.

You've just written what, I suspect, many of us thought. I would guess that, on signing, Insurance would be put in place straight away especially if £15m is the price. Plane is missing and until they find it then there is always hope (faint as it might be).
  • Sponsored links:

• LTKapal said:

As a student of aeronautical and aerospace engineering. At the altitude it went missing at, presuming engine failure a prop craft of that stature even if the pilot had feathered the prop for minimal drag and a cruising airspeed at most it would only be able to glide for about 10 miles if you maximised energy by slowly trading altitude to maintain lift.

The other benefit of slowly lowering your altitude using your airspeed like this means that your airspeed also slowly lowers to the point where a ditch in the sea is definitely viable where the plane should float for a short while depending on sea conditions.

Fingers crossed if it went down then hopefully it's in the manner I just said and they will find a life raft in due course

One can only hope.
  • The city is in shock at the moment

It must be strange because he’s technically their player, yet never played for them (he may never have set foot in Cardiff).

Hopefully he’s found safe and well, @LTKapal ‘s words above bring some hope that all those on the plane may have a decent chance of survival.
  • edited January 2019
    If he signed on Saturday, would they have arranged the insurance for him already?

Also be surprised if the aeroplane would float for too long as it would not have any flotation devices. Also depends on what angle it hit the water. Even at a low speed and reasonable angle of attack, this part of the Channel is hardly a millpond.

Whatever the situation, let's hope both him and the pilot are found safely - the sooner the better.

• 11.45am update

So far over 1,000sq miles have been searched by a total of five aircraft and two lifeboats. It is being co-ordinated by the Joint Emergency Services Control Centre.

There has been no trace of the aircraft.

The search is continuing.
  • A nightmare scenario. When you consider how much difficulty they are having tracing this plane, it explains why the wreckage at sea of the Malaysian Airbus has never been found
  • Heard reports that he was the one piloting the plane. Unconfirmed though.
  • LTKapal said:

At the altitude it went missing at, presuming engine failure a prop craft of that stature even if the pilot had feathered the prop for minimal drag and a cruising airspeed at most it would only be able to glide for about 10 miles if you maximised energy by slowly trading altitude to maintain lift.

The other benefit of slowly lowering your altitude using your airspeed like this means that your airspeed also slowly lowers to the point where a ditch in the sea is definitely viable where the plane should float for a short while depending on sea conditions.

I was thinking pretty much along those lines also.
  • Curious that the club would pay £15m for a player but not pay a few grand to charter a proper business jet to get him to Cardiff.
  • Curious that the club would pay £15m for a player but not pay a few grand to charter a proper business jet to get him to Cardiff.

This. I was really surprised when I saw it was a single-engine prop. Its like the sort of plane you'd have a flying lesson in rather than one dropping off a PL footballer.

Awfully sad but hope to god they've managed to get themselves in a life raft.