Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Australian Open 2019

Comments

• Dan Evans loses in 3 sets, but 2 tie breaks which could have gone either way. Federer pays Dan big compliment by saying it was like playing against himself.

Dan Evans is a very talented player but at 5ft 9in it's difficult to beat the long limbed 6 foot plus opponents. At 28 he can still rise up the ratings BUT the off court malarkey has to stop or he will always be remembered for the cocaine and lack of dedication.
  • Dan Evans loses in 3 sets, but 2 tie breaks which could have gone either way. Federer pays Dan big compliment by saying it was like playing against himself.

Dan Evans is a very talented player but at 5ft 9in it's difficult to beat the long limbed 6 foot plus opponents. At 28 he can still rise up the ratings BUT the off court malarkey has to stop or he will always be remembered for the cocaine and lack of dedication.

You'd hope that after the incident he'd be 110% hungry and dedicated to his sport...
  • edited January 2019

Dan Evans loses in 3 sets, but 2 tie breaks which could have gone either way. Federer pays Dan big compliment by saying it was like playing against himself.

You'd hope that after the incident he'd be 110% hungry and dedicated to his sport...
    It is hard to be as good at that height but David Ferrer is 5ft 9in too and this is what he has achieved in the game:

Australian Open: Quarter finalist 2008, 2012, 2014, 2016
    French Open: Finalist 2013; Quarterfinalist 2005, 2008, 2014, 2015
    Wimbledon: Quarterfinalist 2012, 2013
    US Open: Quarterfinalist 2013

Michael Chang was the same height too and he won the French Open as well as earning 20m dollars in prize money.

A tall or short player with the wrong attitude has no chance.

That cannabis isn't it, not cocaine?

It is hard to be as good at that height but David Ferrer is 5ft 9in too and this is what he has achieved in the game:

Australian Open: Quarter finalist 2008, 2012, 2014, 2016
    French Open: Finalist 2013; Quarterfinalist 2005, 2008, 2014, 2015
    Wimbledon: Quarterfinalist 2012, 2013
    US Open: Quarterfinalist 2013

Michael Chang was the same height too and he won the French Open as well as earning 20m dollars in prize money.

A tall or short player with the wrong attitude has no chance.
    Agassi was 5'11" I think, so a shade taller, but still on the shorter side for a pro sportsman and he won multiple grand slams. Not saying Evans could have been a British Agassi, but he's definitely wasted some potential.

Does any tennis player get better at almost 30? Can't be many.

Andy Murray was 29, I think, when he finally got to World number 1, although that was aided by a sharp drop off in form/injuries to other top players.
  • I’m so sad that Murray had Federer, Nadal and Djokovic to compete with in his prime.

One rival of such a standard is bad enough but three is just cruel. The amount of Australian Open finals lost to Novak alone would keep me awake at night if I was Andy.

Stan Wawrinka won his 3 slams when he was 29,30 and 31.
  • It's 00:20 at the #AusOpen and Johanna Konta is yet to start her match.

A decision to get her on court sooner by switching venue has reportedly had to be reversed as there aren't enough staff left to clean the seagull poo off the court 🦢
  • Sponsored links:

• Muguruza took the first set from Konta 6-4 after breaking Konta in the first game of the match.

Now on serve in the second set.
  • Crazy how they have so many late matches, fair play to anyone still there courtside. Can't do much for tv viewing figures either.

2.20am and Konta has just levelled the match to go to a third set.
  • edited January 2019
    On serve in the third set... 4-3 to Muguruza and Konta is 15-0 up on serve.
  • Not even into the 5th day and all brits out of singles
  • edited January 2019

Not even into the 5th day and all brits out of singles

Post Andy Murray this could happen on a regular basis. TBF both Konta at Wimbledon and Edmonds at last year's Australian open have reached a semi final. If they are judged against Murray's for reaching semi's and Finals they will come up short.
  • We're going to be cheering on plucky British near misses for the foreseeable 😢
  • 3rd seed Wozniacki out, beaten in 3 sets by Sharapova.
  • 3rd seed Wozniacki out, beaten in 3 sets by Sharapova.

Tough one that , I think I’ve loved them both at some stage in my life .
    Although that’s ignoring the fact they aren’t seen as the nicest people in the world, I can be shallow when required
  • Federer is out
    Beating 3-1 by Tsitsipas

TBH I have seen alot of the 20 year old from Greece over recent months and he will be a top top player
  • Sponsored links:

• It feels like the end of an era.
  • Federer is out
    Beating 3-1 by Tsitsipas

TBH I have seen alot of the 20 year old from Greece over recent months and he will be a top top player

Seems like a new breed is emerging. Obviously we know about Zverev, but now there's Shapovalov, Tiafoe and this greek kid all under 21 and top 20 players.
  • Tsitsipas' willingness to come to the court is great to watch. Watched the entire match and it looked like it may go the distance for a while.

His opponent Agut has played three 5-setters. The young greek could find his way into a semi at this rate
  • Zverevs reaction at going 4-1 behind in the 2nd set

He lost 1st set 6-1
    He lost 2nd set 6-1
    3rd set is currently 5-5 but Raonic has had 2 match points come and go
  • Someone in Zverevs coaching team needs to talk to him about early celebrations.

1st set he broke in 1st game, massive celebration and lost it 6-1

3rd set tiebreaker he had a mini break twice and both times he celebrated like he had won the set and he lost it on the 2nd point of his next service games(and both times Raonic got the mini break back there was no celebration)
  • What a fucking dick , just saw the smashing up of his racket , petulant twat .
    I actually felt sorry for him when he was wrongfully getting booo’d v Federer at the o2 , i now retract that , complete bellend
  • The reaction of the ballgirl is class.
  • Federer is going to play the clay season after missing the last two years.
  • edited January 2019
    If you're going to smash your racket, do it properly...

I still can't believe though he's only 21, Zverev seems to have been around for ages
  • Number 1 seed Halep out, beaten by Serena in 3 sets.