Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Australian Open 2019

Comments

• He's still talking about having another op and that it may not be over. Poor bloke just doesn't want to let go.
  • With Cameron Norrie losing to Taylor Fritz, as well as Murray and Edmund both losing as mentioned above, Dan Evans flies the male British flag in round 2 alone.
  • He's still talking about having another op and that it may not be over. Poor bloke just doesn't want to let go.

I got the impression the other day it was an op that could help his standard of living etc rather than let him continue. Haven't seen the comments today so could be misreading that.

Six years younger than Federer who shows no signs of having to give up after a good few injuries

Certainly be one of the greatest comebacks if he could manage it

I got the impression the other day it was an op that could help his standard of living etc rather than let him continue. Haven't seen the comments today so could be misreading that.
    That's not quite what he is saying now - his words were "I dunno, maybe I'll see you again. I'll do everything possible to try. if I want to go again I will need to have a big operation from which there is no guarantee that I'll be able to come back from anyway but I'll give it my best shot anyway"
  • edited January 2019
    The biggest surprise was Rafa coming back from his knee injury considering his brutal way of playing.
    Novak coming back from his elbow injury and winning majors again has been immense.
    Roger is a freak ! Cut down on his training plus hasn't played French open for 2 years but is so smooth that he could play till he's 40 + if he's still motivated.

If Andy has an op now it will be for quality of life not to carry on his tennis career.
  • Wow! That was some performance by Murray. He certainly doesn't give up easily.
  • edited January 2019
    Not a great start by Johanna Konta against local Ajla Tomljanovic as she is broken in the first game, loses the 2nd and has to save 4 break points to take the 3rd. So she's 1-2 and a break down.
  • Konta breaks back to Love. 3 games all.
  • Good girl! Konta wins the first set 7-6 (7-4)
  • Sponsored links:

• Konta playing well but not good enough on crucial points, double break down in the third set.
  • Really fell apart towards the end of the 2nd set and lost it 6-2. she needs to re-focus big time in the decider.
  • 2-2 in final set
  • Match goes into the new Aussie Open Final Set Tie-Break - First to 10 points.
  • That's my girl!

Johanna Konta wins the 3rd set tie-break 10-7.
  • edited January 2019
    Home tournament for Konta, should expect a good performance.
  • What were the crowd like towards Konta the ex Aussie !
  • What were the crowd like towards Konta the ex Aussie !

Konta holds three Passports - Australian, British and Hungarian. Both her parents emigrated from Hungary and her grandfather played international football twice for the Magyars.
  • edited January 2019
    Yep she was born and brought up in Australia and represented them till she was 21 (before becoming a British citizen) even after moving to England when she was 14 .....
    So she ratted on them ! Good girl !
  • Sponsored links:

• Confusing that all 4 grand slams now have different rules for the final set!

The All England Club responded to Anderson’s 7-6 (6), 6-7 (5), 6-7 (9), 6-4, 26-24 victory by deciding to introduce tie-breaks at 12-12 in the final set. However Australian Open organisers have also moved to spare players from fatigue by introducing a tie-break at 6-6 and, for an extra slice of variation, will use the slightly expanded first-to-10-points version seen in doubles matches.

That differs from the US Open, where tie-breaks at 6-6 in the final set involve the traditional first-to-seven points singles format, and means there is absolutely no uniformity across the four slams. Men’s matches at the French Open can still go on for ever.
  • There will be more differences soon as the US and Aussies are set to allow court side coaching this year while the French and LTA will not.
  • Think Wimbledon is the best one there with it being later in the set when it's become a real stalemate but before it gets ridiculous.

Could make arguments for it being at 10-10 not 12-12 and maybe the longer tie break to get a more 'deserving'/clear winner but I don't like tie-breaks as early as 6-6 in the final set whatever the length of them.
  • 2am in Australia and Thiem and Paire are still on court
  • edited January 2019

Think Wimbledon is the best one there with it being later in the set when it's become a real stalemate but before it gets ridiculous.

Could make arguments for it being at 10-10 not 12-12 and maybe the longer tie break to get a more 'deserving'/clear winner but I don't like tie-breaks as early as 6-6 in the final set whatever the length of them.

Wimbledon have done it best.

12-12 is a natural stopping point in tennis given it’s double 6-6 which is where they choose to stop in the earlier sets.

The amount of points needed in a regular breaker is the 6+1. So with a double length set, it makes sense to be first to 13 (double 6 plus 1).

I really do not like what the Aussies have done with the first to 10 in their deciding set tie breaks. It feels completely arbitrary and not at all in keeping with the flow of a tennis match.
  • edited January 2019
    Without getting into the wider 5 sets vs 3 sets issue for women, it feels very premature for women to have a tie break at 6-6 in the 3rd set, especially as women's tennis is less serve dominated than men's anyway, and less likely to produce Isner type marathons.
  • While on the subject of Wimbledon, anyway ever queued for tickets? Is it a no go if you're not there at 3am or something?

Has anyone ever got the early leaver returns for the show courts? Are they only for those already on the outside courts or can you get them from outside the whole place?

• Dan Evans playing really well and into a first set tie break v Federer.
  • Federer edges the tie break 7-5
  • Fabbiano and Opelka just had a mammoth tiebreak in the 1st set

Opelka took it 17-15