Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

How Do We Improve Our Away Form?

Absolutely cracking away win today, how do we keep it going for the rest of the season?

9 home wins at home this season, (top 2 form imo) now up to 6 away wins (mid table form imo).

I really want our away form to dramatically improve in the 2nd half of the season, I hope this is a sign of things to come.

Whether it’s squad depth, injuries, a bit of bad luck, or our style of play / tactical nous, what do you think it’s going to take for us to dramatically improve, and to keep it going?

Comments

• Eliminate the soft goals we give away and get the consistency needed for a team that wants promotion.
  • Bear in mind we've already been to Sunderland, Portsmouth, Luton, Barnsley and Blackpool. We've got a great chance to improve our record though when on paper Doncaster and Peterboro are our toughest away games left to play (Wimbledon and Gillingham will be tricky ones too)
  • Keep our players fit

I know few teams get to name their best players every week but would love to know which games we've had to play a weakened line up due to injury or suspension as Sunderland at the start of the season is certainly one of those
  • Win them all !
  • Chizz said:

Win them all !

That's ridiculous over-simplification and doesn't help answer the question at all.

The *proper* answer is "score more goals than the opposition in every game".
    As long as there not own goals !
  • edited January 2019
    Just my two cents but I feel we struggle when teams press us. We struggle to work the ball through the press and subsequently end up going long to Taylor and grant which totally goes against how Bowyer wants us to play.

At the Valley most teams set up with a standard 'away vs a better team' template- sit deep, look to frustrate and engineer something on the break. This I actually feel plays into our hands as our creative midfielders get time on the ball to look up and play incisive passes into the front two. However the same teams when they're playing at home probably feel that they have to be a bit more proactive and push higher up the pitch.

We just need to get that confidence to keep playing football even when the opposition are getting in our faces, as the team definitely has the quality to do it but sometimes don't have the courage to risk losing the ball by playing through midfield. Aribo back will be vital as he has the ability to beat a man and hold onto the ball in tight areas. Williams should help in this respect as well.
  • I think this is true, but less so now than it was. I think our problem away from home is/has been three things a) paying opponents too much respect b) Missing key chances and c) making key defensive mistakes. Obvious I know, but the solution for me has to be to back yourself to be better than your opponents and try to hammer them. Less caution, more fear us and more, going for 3-0s and if we lose one goal, back ourselves to win 3-1. Games like yesterday will give us confidence to do this and it will help that we have played most of the better teams away - Only Posh and Donny look tough on paper.
  • I think this is true, but less so now than it was. I think our problem away from home is/has been three things a) paying opponents too much respect b) Missing key chances and c) making key defensive mistakes. Obvious I know, but the solution for me has to be to back yourself to be better than your opponents and try to hammer them. Less caution, more fear us and more, going for 3-0s and if we lose one goal, back ourselves to win 3-1. Games like yesterday will give us confidence to do this and it will help that we have played most of the better teams away - Only Posh and Donny look tough on paper.

My view as well.

It has always confused me (easy I know) why teams nearly always play differently away to when they are at home. Why?

Treat every game as a home game!
  • bobmunro said:

I think this is true, but less so now than it was. I think our problem away from home is/has been three things a) paying opponents too much respect b) Missing key chances and c) making key defensive mistakes. Obvious I know, but the solution for me has to be to back yourself to be better than your opponents and try to hammer them. Less caution, more fear us and more, going for 3-0s and if we lose one goal, back ourselves to win 3-1. Games like yesterday will give us confidence to do this and it will help that we have played most of the better teams away - Only Posh and Donny look tough on paper.

My view as well.

It has always confused me (easy I know) why teams nearly always play differently away to when they are at home. Why?

Treat every game as a home game!
    We need more travelling fans to make that happen. look what happened at Portsmouth last year and this when we took more than a few.