Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Bowyer’s best XI...

It came up in the post match discussion earlier so thought I’d make a thread.

This is especially tough in midfield where we now seem to have a wealth of options.

Who would you pick for our current best XI, if everyone was fit?

Comments

• Copied mine from post match thread

Personally

---------------Phillips-------------------
    Solly BFG Pearce Page
    ----------------Bielik---------------------
    -----------Aribo Cullen---------------
    ---------------Williams----------------
    -----------Taylor Grant---------------

Harsh on Naby I know but if we are leading towards the end take Williams off for Naby to defend the lead, but personally thing BFG and Pearce are 1 of the greatest partnerships at Centre Back we have had
  • Phillips
    Beliek Bauer. Sarr Page
    Cullen
    Lapslie. Aribo
    Willams
    Taylor. Grant
  • Phillips
    Solly | Bauer | Pearce | Page
    Cullen | Bielik | Aribo
    Williams
    Grant | Taylor

Maxwell - Purrington - Sarr - Lapslie - Clarke - Fosu - Vetokele

• Once everybody is fit, Bowyer's got some tremendous players available for this level.

Only one caveat ..... the 11 best players, rarely make the best team.

Wasn't it Lawrie McMenemy, having guided Southampton to 2nd place finish in the Prem, who said something like:
    "You need 9 virtuosos and 2 roadsweepers in a successful team".

Perhaps Bowyer and Jacko have already chewed the cud on this question over endless cups of tea after training. I expect they'll have more idea than I do.

• Oggy Red said:

Once everybody is fit, Bowyer's got some tremendous players available for this level.

Only one caveat ..... the 11 best players, rarely make the best team.

Wasn't it Lawrie McMenemy, having guided Southampton to 2nd place finish in the Prem, who said something like:
    "You need 9 virtuosos and 2 roadsweepers in a successful team".

Perhaps Bowyer and Jacko have already chewed the cud on this question over endless cups of tea after training. I expect they'll have more idea than I do.

I think the best answer is there's no set eleven that makes the best team - Some players will do better in training than others whilst certain teams will require a certain approach like when we faced Bradford last season; Sarr was favoured at LB over Dasilva because of the long balls we'd have to deal with.

Ideally I like to think of the Northampton game last season where it was either Bowyer or their manager who commenfed on their players crying when they saw us potentially having Mavididi / Kaikai / Fosu on the pitch because of the pace that could hurt them - In this aspect you'd hope opposing teams are crying at the prospect of playing us because we've so many options that can unlock an opponent they're left not knowing who we'd play
  • Phillips or Maxwell
    Solly Bauer Pearce Page
    Cullen
    Reeves Aribo
    Williams
    Grant Taylor

This is what I posted on the other thread, but it could easily be tweaked depending on the opposition.
  • Fosu gets in in home games, IMO. Makes things happen
  • Sponsored links:

• Fosu is only effective as a winger in 4-4-2 which LB won't play. Doesn't make him a poor player though.
  • how can cafcfan pick maxwell over phillips when has almost certainly never seen hom play
  • Jess, I can't believe some of you have forgotten him...

If everyone is fit...

Phillips
    Solly, Bauer, Pearce, Page
    JFC
    Cullen, Reeves
    Williams
    Taylor, Grant
  • Very true Loopy... Ahead of Bielik though?
  • Very true Loopy... Ahead of Bielik though?

Yes. I made a mistake with Cullen. I'm not a big fan of loan players (however well they're playing). So I'll replace Cullen with Aribo...
  • Haha I did forget about JFC
  • Oggy Red said:

Bielik
    Cullen Aribo
    Williams

That just isn't a Third Division standard midfield, is it?

Totally unfair to the other teams in our league. :smile:
    Only one word for that midfield: 🤤
  • Sponsored links:

• I'm surprised so many have left out Sarr, he has been superb lately.
  • Philips

Solly BFG Sarr Page

Cullen

Aribo Reeves

Williams

Grant Taylor
  • Cafc43v3r said:

Philips

Solly BFG Sarr Page

Cullen

Aribo Reeves

Williams

Grant Taylor

Looking at that it's a bit weak down the left flank, just hope Leeds aren't spying on training.
  • Cafc43v3r said:

Cafc43v3r said:

Philips

Solly BFG Sarr Page

Cullen

Aribo Reeves

Williams

Grant Taylor

Looking at that it's a bit weak down the left flank, just hope Leeds aren't spying on training.
    Reeves has had a good season and I don't mind that team. I do feel having Cullen, Reeves and Williams would definitely amount to the shortest one in the league though.
  • What a Great selection headache to have.
    For me there are certain players that pick themselves automatically
    Bauer,Beilek,Williams and Taylor- all would walk into any championship team.
    Nice problem for Bowyer to have
    COYR
  • edited January 2019
    Phillips
    Solly. Beilik. Pearce. Page
    Cullen
    Aribo. Fosu
    Williams
    Grant. Taylor

Would love to get promotion and hold onto our best players as I think we have the basis of a decent Championship team although would still need to splash some cash to really improve. Trouble is I think of the above only Solly, Page and Taylor have contracts beyond this season.
  • Cafc43v3r said:

Cafc43v3r said:

Philips

Solly BFG Sarr Page

Cullen

Aribo Reeves

Williams

Grant Taylor

Reeves has had a good season and I don't mind that team. I do feel having Cullen, Reeves and Williams would definitely amount to the shortest one in the league though.
    It was ment to be a joke about my poor formatting :tongue:

I think Reeves would look even better playing with Williams and Cullen, a simple pass will always be on, the interact triangles would be sight to behold. It would also benifit Sarr.
  • Looking at all of these teams, i know a majority of our players are on loan but if a new owner comes in and can get everyone signed up onto a new contract and bring in some of the loanees permanently, we have a decent championship side
  • Looking at all of these teams, i know a majority of our players are on loan but if a new owner comes in and can get everyone signed up onto a new contract and bring in some of the loanees permanently, we have a decent championship side

I could certainly see Williams extending his contract. Would imagine Cullen could be available permanently. Not sure on Bielik, although I reckon we could have him for another year in the Champ.