Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Planning to Carpet Living Room (Recommendation Required)

So basically tired of the laminate flooring in my living room

We live end of terrace meaning that over the course of winter it gets bloody cold at times so looking to replace it with carpet

Basically looking for any recommendations of where to go; CarpetRight laid the flooring in our bedroom (Was just floorboards) a few years back so will be tempted to go back to them yet my Wife has had TapiCarpets round today who have quoted around £1,000 for a £15 carpet which includes removing the old laminate and putting down the new carpet

Room size is around 7m x 4m

Comments

• Tapi carpets are carpet right under a different name
  • BR Flooring in Eltham and Petts Wood are excellent. Small family firm. How about @mickc? Or is he commercial only? He's a top floor man.
  • Tapi carpets are carpet right under a different name

Cheers I actually thought that was the case prior to going in there
  • I'm assuming the bulk of the £1,000 is the cost of taking up the old laminate as the carpet cost is £420.

Apart from losing a negligible bit of height in the room and having to shave doors, is there any reason why the carpet couldn't be laid on top of the laminate?
  • bobmunro said:

I'm assuming the bulk of the £1,000 is the cost of taking up the old laminate as the carpet cost is £420.

Apart from losing a negligible bit of height in the room and having to shave doors, is there any reason why the carpet couldn't be laid on top of the laminate?

Would need to see the quote itself but know that would also include new Underlay as well

To be honest though isnt something I've thought of it terms of laying carpet straight on the laminate
  • As stated already. Laminate is a perfect substrate for laying a carpet. Much better to shorten doors as required than to rip up the laminate.
  • If you are near TWells I would suggest Bailey Wighton, when I was a facilities manager I used them all the time which then extended to using them for my own home.
  • edited January 2019
    I don’t think you have to approach your local council for permission to carpet your living room mate.
  • @Miserableoldgit used to fit carpets and was based in Sheppey at one point.

Not sure where he is now though or whether he is still working.

@sadiejane1981 might know.
  • So basically tired of the laminate flooring in my living room

We live end of terrace meaning that over the course of winter it gets bloody cold at times so looking to replace it with carpet

Basically looking for any recommendations of where to go; CarpetRight laid the flooring in our bedroom (Was just floorboards) a few years back so will be tempted to go back to them yet my Wife has had TapiCarpets round today who have quoted around £1,000 for a £15 carpet which includes removing the old laminate and putting down the new carpet

Room size is around 7m x 4m

£1000 for a £15 carpet is scandalous. I'll give you £20 for it. ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• LenGlover said:

@Miserableoldgit used to fit carpets and was based in Sheppey at one point.

Not sure where he is now though or whether he is still working.

@sadiejane1981 might know.

Very much doubt he is working.

• A good deep shag will keep you warm in the winter
  • A good deep shag will keep you warm in the winter

Watch out for the carpet burns.
  • edited January 2019
    I recommend from bitter experience that you dont fit a nice pale sand coloured carpet, feed your toddler a massive bowl of spag bol then let her use the sofa as a trampoline until it's all too much and the spag bol arcs across the room and lands with a splurge right in the middle of the carpet.
  • I so wanted this to be a euphemism for something sexual that I hadn’t heard of.
    Disappointed that’s it’s actually about carpets. Lol.
  • Many thanks Mike (Riviera) for the recommendation, I do supply domestic carpets and can advise Forever Addickted. Price does seem excessive unless there is major floor preparation required, please pm me Forever Addickted and I will send my number to you, I can definitely help you even if it is just advice.
  • @Miserableoldgit used to fit carpets and was based in Sheppey at one point. Not sure where he is now though or whether he is still working. @sadiejane1981 might know.
    It’s been a long time since I was online I do apologise life kind of got in the way. 

Paul isn’t working at the moment. But he would appreciate being thought of. 
  • @Miserableoldgit used to fit carpets and was based in Sheppey at one point. Not sure where he is now though or whether he is still working. @sadiejane1981 might know.
    It’s been a long time since I was online I do apologise life kind of got in the way. 

@sadiejane1981 if you are in touch with Paul please remember me to him and pass on my best wishes.
  • IdleHans said:
    I recommend from bitter experience that you dont fit a nice pale sand coloured carpet, feed your toddler a massive bowl of spag bol then let her use the sofa as a trampoline until it's all too much and the spag bol arcs across the room and lands with a splurge right in the middle of the carpet.
    I regret fitting carpet a few years back. Carpet just looks tired too quickly and is prone to stains. Especially in the living room. I wish I had fit a hard floor and bought a big rug that can be easily changed. Will do that soon.

Good to see you're back. Hope all is well?
  • Sponsored links:

• I would also recommend BR Flooring in Eltham and Petts Wood, they have supplied and fitted all the flooring in my house during the last 8 years.