Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Walsall - Post Match Views

Comments

• Redhenry said:

Sage said:

One thing I would like to add actually, we are so much better balanced with a left footer at left back.

Solly has done a great job covering all the time but Stevenson really allowed us that width at times today. Thought he done well. Same goes with Sarr, he was very good today and think he helped out young Toby well too.

For me it shows we desperately need a good left back, Page is great but is out injured a lot unfortunately. I think if we had little Jay Dasilva again this season, we would be pushing top two right now.

I know they were sitting back by that point, but it was the same at Barnsley. It's not just going forward, it was Solly's fault Pearce got dragged out wide for Barnsley's first and Dijksteel could have done better for the second. Our problems at full back have been exposed by other teams all season and we have shipped to many goals from out wide. Combined with the lack of attacking threat, it is probably the difference between us being in the automatics.

It was madness to go into this season with Page as the only recognised left back considering his injury record and Solly seems half the player covering. Imo this lack of foresight has cost us two good players and consigned us to the play-offs.
    This. I have seen most games this season, home and away and FB is our weak point.
    To be fair in a number of games there hasn't been any cover in front of the fullbacks - a lot of this has been down to constant changes in the team.
  • Redhenry said:

Sage said:

One thing I would like to add actually, we are so much better balanced with a left footer at left back.

Solly has done a great job covering all the time but Stevenson really allowed us that width at times today. Thought he done well. Same goes with Sarr, he was very good today and think he helped out young Toby well too.

For me it shows we desperately need a good left back, Page is great but is out injured a lot unfortunately. I think if we had little Jay Dasilva again this season, we would be pushing top two right now.

I know they were sitting back by that point, but it was the same at Barnsley. It's not just going forward, it was Solly's fault Pearce got dragged out wide for Barnsley's first and Dijksteel could have done better for the second. Our problems at full back have been exposed by other teams all season and we have shipped to many goals from out wide. Combined with the lack of attacking threat, it is probably the difference between us being in the automatics.

It was madness to go into this season with Page as the only recognised left back considering his injury record and Solly seems half the player covering. Imo this lack of foresight has cost us two good players and consigned us to the play-offs.
    This. I have seen most games this season, home and away and FB is our weak point.
    To be fair in a number of games there hasn't been any cover in front of the fullbacks - a lot of this has been down to constant changes in the team.
    Players keep shuffling around the midfield positions as well, whereas with previous teams the wide midfielders have generally stayed on the same side and thus can form a partnership with the FB, it must have been brilliant for a full back to have Jackson and Green/Wagstaff covering, or Robinson and Newton in the 90s.
  • Interesting that Sunderland also have a number of injuries and suspensions.

Cattermole will now miss the game against us after getting his 10th booking yesterday. Sunderland also had a 17 and 18 year old on their bench yesterday.

Lee Cattermole getting lots of bookings, I would never have expected that :smile:
  • Only 4 points behind The Black Cats and a win will put us right on their tails (albeit with them having played 2 games less)

Many teams have a slump in form, the fact remains we are 8 wins from the last 11 games, which is automatic promotion form, it would leave us with 90+ points at the end of the year and the average for an automatic spot is 88
  • edited January 2019
    I couldn't believe how bad Walsall were for the first 20 minutes. They were not pressing us at all and passing and having time on the ball was far too easy for us. Then they suddenly started doing so and in the end they might consider themselves unlucky not to get a draw. Having said that, the disallowed goal was one of the worst decisions you will see at the Valley. I couldn't understand at the time why the goalkeeper didn't get nearer Taylor, but you can't fill in the gaps and assume a foul!

Good experience for the youngsters and an important three points in the circumstances, but we need as experienced a team as we can muster on Saturday.
  • I couldn't believe how bad Walsall were for the first 20 minutes. They were not pressing us at all and passing and having time on the ball was far too easy for us. Then they suddenly started doing so and in the end they might consider themselves unlucky not to get a draw. Having said that, the disallowed goal was one of the worst decisions you will see at the Valley. I couldn't understand at the time why the goalkeeper didn't get nearer Taylor, but you can't fill in the gaps and assume a foul!

Good experience for the youngsters and an important three points in the circumstances, but we need as experienced a team as we can muster on Saturday.

Seemed a shocking decision - looked a clear goal.
  • sam3110 said:

Only 4 points behind The Black Cats and a win will put us right on their tails (albeit with them having played 2 games less)

Many teams have a slump in form, the fact remains we are 8 wins from the last 11 games, which is automatic promotion form, it would leave us with 90+ points at the end of the year and the average for an automatic spot is 88

If we can bring a couple in and get a couple back, points we have gained with a weakened side will prove their importance. This league is not great and I don't think we need that much to give us a better than average chance. Having said that, if we lost Taylor, it would send our chances south!
  • I couldn't believe how bad Walsall were for the first 20 minutes. They were not pressing us at all and passing and having time on the ball was far too easy for us. Then they suddenly started doing so and in the end they might consider themselves unlucky not to get a draw. Having said that, the disallowed goal was one of the worst decisions you will see at the Valley. I couldn't understand at the time why the goalkeeper didn't get nearer Taylor, but you can't fill in the gaps and assume a foul!

That video of the disallowed goal doesn't show the previous few seconds, where Taylor was obviously physically backing into the goalkeeper & preventing him from getting a jump at the ball. I saw it quite clearly from where I was sitting behind the goal & the decision to disallow the goal was correct IMO.
  • Interesting that Sunderland also have a number of injuries and suspensions.

Cattermole will now miss the game against us after getting his 10th booking yesterday. Sunderland also had a 17 and 18 year old on their bench yesterday.

It's only been 2019 for two days, and already this is the least surprising thing I will hear all year.
  • Sponsored links:

• Autos have long gone for us, we blew it over Christmas if not long before, we’ve lost too many games,we’d have to go on one heck of a unbeaten run till the end of the season to get in the top 2.

Have to agree with this. We are too inconsistent - although some of the football we have been playing has been excellent. Still feel we can make the play-offs but only if we keep the squad and maybe add another couple of players. As many have said, all depends on Uncle Roly and the 'imminent' takeover.
  • If you'd have told me after 1st game of the season we would potentially be 1 point behind Sunderland in January I'd have bitten your arm off.

I lightly disagree with this. If we’d been luckier with injuries , I think we would have been challenging for top 2
  • Redhenry said:

Sage said:

And also the diamond formation which leaves them exposed
  • As an aside I thought it was a poor show that the programme had no review of the Coventry and Barnsley matches, or even updated the results section seeing that the Barnsley programme was right up to date with the Boxing match, including photos and the manager's comments

That video of the disallowed goal doesn't show the previous few seconds, where Taylor was obviously physically backing into the goalkeeper & preventing him from getting a jump at the ball. I saw it quite clearly from where I was sitting behind the goal & the decision to disallow the goal was correct IMO.
    If that's true then why not blow the whistle as soon as Taylor did that, instead of waiting for the ball to be in the net?
  • The linesman raised his flag as soon as the corner was taken & the ball was in play.
  • edited January 2019
    Only argument I'd give the Officials is the fact that Taylor maybe appears to start pushing into the Goalkeeper around 24-26 secs

Or is that the Goalkeeper moving of his own accord to deliberately give up ground to make it look a foul as in his own head he knew he'd be getting no where near the cross and so by making it look a foul was the only way to stop any goal
  • Sponsored links:

• Only argument I'd give the Officials is the fact that Taylor maybe appears to start pushing into the Goalkeeper around 24-26 secs

Or is that the Goalkeeper moving of his own accord to deliberately give up ground to make it look a foul as in his own head he knew he'd be getting no where near the cross and so by making it look a foul was the only way to stop any goal

Hard to tell from the film. Don't think the linesman has a decent view.
  • Looks like he's backing into the keeper before the corner, doesn't move out of the way and keeper makes the most of it. If that was the other way around we'd be pissed off if that was allowed. I like Taylor a lot but he plays on the edge, constantly being a pain in the arse to the opposition. He wins free kicks which he clearly shouldn't and then some go against him, he's a nuisance to the ref as well. This was a 50/50 decision in my opinion.
  • It was a definite goal but can understand why it wasnt given in that the ref’s default position was to give a foul in favour of the keeper every time the ball went near him yesterday. That and the fact that as others have said, Taylor is very effective at winning fouls and I think the ref was generally tuned into that yesterday. It is fast becoming a non contact sport I’m afraid.
  • Autos have long gone for us, we blew it over Christmas if not long before, we’ve lost too many games,we’d have to go on one heck of a unbeaten run till the end of the season to get in the top 2.

Difficult yes, long gone no. We're only 6 points behind Luton.
    Portsmouth, Luton and Sunderland still have to come to The Valley and we have the equal 2nd best home form.

Difficult yes, long gone no. We're only 6 points behind Luton.
    Portsmouth, Luton and Sunderland still have to come to The Valley and we have the equal 2nd best home form.
    Doesnt help that Sunderland (2) and Barnsley (1) have games in hand on us

Certainly doesnt help that no one wants to beat Portsmouth unless they're either Charlton or Gillingham which means they need to start going on a poor run soon if we want to catch them - Unfortunately they're looking like us in 2011/12 where that poor run never truly materialised

As for Luton I think we can catch them yet the top two Play-Off spots will be between then Charlton | Barnsley
  • Not enough there to be a foul in my opinion.

Not at all.

BELIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEVE
  • Dillon Phillips

@Dillon_Phillips
    20h20 hours ago
    More Dillon Phillips Retweeted Charlton Athletic FC
    Felt good to be out there today 🕺🏼Good shift from the boys, 3 points 🔴⚪️
  • Lyle Taylor

@lyletaylor90
    21h21 hours ago
    More
    Is there a better way to start the year than with 3 points, a goal for you and a goal for your mate? NOPE! Happy New Year everyone! Thank you for your support 👏🏽🙌🏽 See you all Saturday…