Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Any cyclists on here?..

Is there a safe route from Sidcup to the City?

Comments

• [cite]Posted By: Fishnets[/cite]Is there a safe route from Sidcup to the City?

Put your bike on a train.
  • [cite]Posted By: Fishnets[/cite]Is there a safe route from Sidcup to the City?

Not if i'm driving nearby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • find a route to cross the river at the Woolwich Ferry / foot-tunnel (over Plumstead Common?) or Greenwich foot-tunnel and cycle alongside the north bank of the Thames as much as possible?
  • TFL website does cycle routes, not a great fan of going north of the river on the bike between the ferry and CW, really exposed to the wind through to Canary Wharf.

So probably, through Welling, over Plumstead common, down to the lower road to Greenwich, then through the foot tunnel, up to Cable Street, then there is a dedicated cycle lane from there to Aldgate
  • Dont do it Fishy fella ----- stick to the darkside.

take up the cycle is a short step from tweads + tofu
  • edited November 2008
    from Greenwich foot tunnel you can stick to the riverside a lot, come along Narrow Street past Tofu Express, round Shadwell Basin and then decide to carry on to Tower Bridge or turn right by Tweads-U-Like to come up to Cable Street from there.

Perhaps try asking on here :
    http://www.southlondoncyclists.org.uk/
  • Lol - love your support there GH!

the TFL website doesn always give you the best route, what i would do is look it up on there and cycle it at the weekend. Check out the roads around the route. you might actually want to go on the main roads as they can be quite safe for cyclist with the bus lanes.
    You're best bet will be through the foot tunnel in Greenwich or down to London Bridge. I go from Greenwich to Clerkenwell and go through the city.

your fitness will improve no ends, even if you are pretty fit.
  • Fishy dont forget ur nice hat-----day glow vest----back pack-----nifty (stephen hawkins like) drinks bottle.
  • I believe that Razil cycles from Blackfen to the City every day and so should know a route.... Raz??
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Fishnets[/cite]Is there a safe route from Sidcup to the City?[/quote]

Depends. If you have a complete disregard for traffic signals, pedstrians and other road users like most of Londons cyclists, then probably not!
  • Sponsored links:

• cyclists feckin menace's on the road.
  • I cycle from New Eltham to the Old Kent Road.

N.E. ----> Yorkshire Grey ----> Lee High Road ----> Lewisham ----> New Cross ----> O.K.R = 35mins door to door. Luv-er-lee!

[cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]cyclists feckin menace's on the road.

I quite agree. Some are a menace. Bit crap to generalise though NSS, don't you think?

I stop at all red lights, and make sure I use the road as the rules that govern them for cars also apply to cyclists.

Until you have driven a car and rode a bike in London, I think it's a bit hard to comment. It's certainly an eye-opener getting on a bike after spending years in the comfort of a metal cocoon.

Some drivers out there are a complete nightmare, but generally, I find most very good.
  • [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]cyclists feckin menace's on the road.

Couldn't agree more, when the feckers double up riding side by side I turn all evil and wanna take em out...Can't stand em.
  • [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]cyclists feckin menace's on the road.

We're not all that bad!

I have almost come to fisticuffs with a few other cyclists though about their bad road manners.

its the Pedestrians around Bank who just walk into the road that are the menace!!
  • I do a pretty good route, which is largely bus lanes, quiet roads, footpaths etc

starting near Falconwood
    Rochester Way all the way past Well Hall to Kidbrooke Gardens
    Over Blackheath,
    Down blackheath Hill
    Deptford Church Street
    Then follow the thames
    Creek Road/Evelyn Street/Lower Road
    Cut though Soutwark Park
    Jamaica Road
    Queen Elizabeth Street
    Tower Bridge
  • There are cyclist then there are couriers, and those loons are a law upon themselves.

Blackheath Hill, horrible road!
  • [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]I do a pretty good route, which is largely bus lanes, quiet roads, footpaths etc

starting near Falconwood
    Rochester Way all the way past Well Hall to Kidbrooke Gardens
    Over Blackheath,
    Down blackheath Hill
    Deptford Church Street
    Then follow the thames
    Creek Road/Evelyn Street/Lower Road
    Cut though Soutwark Park
    Jamaica Road
    Queen Elizabeth Street
    Tower Bridge

Fair old distance that razil, although my annoyance with cyclists is massive I've got full respect you doing that distance to and from work every day! How long does it take you?
  • about an hour
  • i did a sneaky "ha ha" in the ear of a cyclist who was being issued a ticket by a cycle copper as i walked paast this morning. Made sure the cop didnt hear me. I dont know the cyclists crime but he was very near bank lights so i can only guess...
  • [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]i did a sneaky "ha ha" in the ear of a cyclist who was being issued a ticket by a cycle copper as i walked paast this morning. Made sure the cop didnt hear me. I dont know the cyclists crime but he was very near bank lights so i can only guess...

Any cyclist that breaks the rules should be fined.

Me? I'm squeeky clean...
  • Sponsored links:

• just like motorists, eh...
  • I believe there is a canal route you can take from near lime house all the way up to Camden, not sure whats it like to commute on or how close to the city it goes, and you need to get a consent thingy to cycle on it (which is a formality).
  • [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]I believe there is a canal route you can take from near lime house all the way up to Camden, not sure whats it like to commute on or how close to the city it goes, and you need to get a consent thingy to cycle on it (which is a formality).

I work at Euston, maybe I should turn to the dark side for a week and cycle in using this route to check it out, especially as you say it only takes an hour via your route. It takes me that on the train.
  • Thanks guys..
  • [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]just like motorists, eh...

do you cycle back up Blackheath Hill - that must be a killer
  • That is one road I miss like the plague, horrible going down it with the lorrys and worse going up.

Quick zip up Charlton lane instead
  • I have the pleasure of cylcing from eltham to croydon, I reckon theres alot to be said for it,
  • when I was young and fit I used to cycle up Sandy Hill Road, Eglington Hill, Plum Lane and Shooters Hill on my trusty old 3 speed Hercules.

I probably couldn't cycle to the end of my road now:-(
  • edited November 2008
    Blackheath hill - not on the road I go on the pavement, (then up dartmouth hill which is just to one side) - its always deserted and no way am I cycling up that busy road. Shooters hill is the one I avoid..
  • Cycling to work is the best hangover cure....