Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Lee Bowyer and the Nine Game Blocks

Comments

• Get average 2 points per game or thereabouts = promotion. Who gives a shit about some weird 9 game thing.

Lee Bowyer
  • What is Bowyer’s rational for dividing a 46 game season into blocks of 9?
  • se9addick said:

What is Bowyer’s rational for dividing a 46 game season into blocks of 9?

Don't know but that's what he said he does.
  • Lee Bowyer and The Blockheads.
  • There's no point even looking at this until we're averaging 2 points a game.

To do that we would have to win 8 consecutive games.

All very well if you genuinely believe you are automatic promotion contenders but we're actually closer to 1 point a game than 2.

Automatic promotion......don't make me laugh. I said at the start of the season that LB shouldn't have said anything to the press about "top 2". Makes him look silly. By all means encourage & motivate the team but keep that in the dressing room.

Even play offs look iffy at the moment. I think we'll be top 8/10 most of the season but we just dont have the nous to crack this league. I'll get excited when we go 3-0 up against a side. Until then we are just one of a number of above average 3rd tier teams.
  • edited October 2018
    5 blocks of 9 plus 1 gets us up to 46.
  • 5 blocks of 9 plus 1 gets us up to 46.

You’re going to nail those SATs mate.
  • Get average 2 points per game or thereabouts = promotion. Who gives a shit about some weird 9 game thing.

Lee Bowyer
    Thing is though if we smash the last block of 9 with 9 wins it is irrelevant if that moves us from 14th to 7th cause we were shit in the previous ones. Just aim for 2 points average a game and it is easy to figure out how far ahead/behind you are. Complicating it into 9 game blocks sounds a little like complicating a playing system by sticking a CM as CB and a CB as CM...
  • edited December 2018
    Thought it should be time to revisit this now half the season is gone.

43 points from 23 games, on track for 86 points from 46.

Would it be enough?
  • Sponsored links:

• In previous years the figures for second and third were:
    2nd 3rd
    2016/7 86 82
    2015/6 85 84
    2014/5 91 89
    2013/4 94 86
    2012/3 83 79
    2011/2 93 90 (Champions had 101 points that year)
  • Thought it should be time to revisit this now half the season is gone.

Would it be enough?

Play offs yes easily, and probably top 4.

Top 2 no way, not when there are 3 sides currently on track to get 94+ points.
  • Thought it should be time to revisit this now half the season is gone.

Would it be enough?

Play offs yes easily, and probably top 4.

Top 2 no way, not when there are 3 sides currently on track to get 94+ points.
    Dont see Luton sustaining their form for the entire season...
  • In previous years the figures for second and third were:
    2nd 3rd
    2016/7 86 82
    2015/6 85 84
    2014/5 91 89
    2013/4 94 86
    2012/3 83 79

Wonder who that was?
  • Dazzler21 said:

In previous years the figures for second and third were:
    2nd 3rd
    2016/7 86 82
    2015/6 85 84
    2014/5 91 89
    2013/4 94 86
    2012/3 83 79

Wonder who that was?
    Sheffield Wednesday

All very well if you genuinely believe you are automatic promotion contenders but we're actually closer to 1 point a game than 2.

Automatic promotion......don't make me laugh. I said at the start of the season that LB shouldn't have said anything to the press about "top 2". Makes him look silly. By all means encourage & motivate the team but keep that in the dressing room.

Even play offs look iffy at the moment. I think we'll be top 8/10 most of the season but we just dont have the nous to crack this league. I'll get excited when we go 3-0 up against a side. Until then we are just one of a number of above average 3rd tier teams.
    Yeah Bowyer, you IDIOT.
  • edited December 2018

Thought it should be time to revisit this now half the season is gone.

Would it be enough?

That assumes we are going to repeat the form when we were indifferent, vulnerable at the back, or still trying to build up the team spirit which had preceded the run we are in at the moment. If we target maintaining or improving on our current form, which is more likely, then the final points tally is going to be a lot higher than 86
  • Won’t the competition be saying the same? All the top clubs reckon they’ll be pushing on with a bit of January investment.
  • Sponsored links:

• Won’t the competition be saying the same? All the top clubs reckon they’ll be pushing on with a bit of January investment.

How many of those teams have thrown away as many points as us from winning positions? Last I saw we were leading the whole division with 15 I think it was but to be fair this was a couple of months ago now and we've hoovered up maximum points from winning positions probably since the Coventry game.

We threw away so many points because we couldn't kill teams off and/or conceded soft goals earlier on in the season. We seem to have dealt with both of those issues now and actually look like winning every game we play at the moment even with a depleted squad.

hmmm. Maybe a bit out with the top 8/10 bit but still stand by the "not getting into the top 2" bit. The 3 ahead of us currently are still the best 3 in the league imo & we'll do well to hang onto their coat tails. We've been on an excellent run & having to play Barnsley & Sunderland over the next 2 weeks may just prove too much.

Also still stand by the 2nd to last sentence. As I've banged on about time & time again on here....we just don't score enough goals. Won 7 out of our last 8 yet not scored 3 more than once. Our GD is far worse than the top 3. I'll take us as serious top 2 contenders when we put a team to the sword & run out convincing winners. Even LB today was moaning about it.
  • Easy to forget the utter mess we were in in August - Bowyer didn’t name full bench for the first few matches. I ptretty much expected us to be bottom 3 at the end of August. Bowyer did well to just keep us in touch with the top sides but we’ve been playing catch-up ever since. The good news in, we have been catching them. Moving level on points with a Sunderland side who unjustly took all three points from match on the first day of the season signifies how far we’ve come since August.

Who knows if we can sustain this kind of form or if the squad will be strengthened, or even intact after January, but it was always likely that, if this season was to be a success, we’d have to collect more points in the second half of the season than the first and make up for the handicapped start to the season.

Everything is moving in the right direction, below boardroom level at least, but the hard work starts now.
  • People expecting over 86 points...

Dushitaface will be on a selling spree in January so kiss goodbye those hopes.
  • Sage said:

I’ve recently begun to look at things since the transfer window shut and we got our squad sorted. Since we could start to name a full bench and get the players we needed in. Bowyer said it was about getting through August, so if you take out August from everyone in the league...

If you were to do that, it’s 18 games we have played and we would have 38 points. As would Portsmouth. It’s only Luton who would have 40 points and be ahead of us both, but they have won 9 and drew 1 from their last 10, meaning they had only picked up 12 points from the 8 games previously.

To me, this shows we do have a chance of automatic promotion, especially when you consider the amount of injuries we have had and to key players as well. Factor in that we have won 7 of our last 8, we are a good side that is beginning to score regularly enough and also keep a few clean sheets. 5 of those 7 wins have been 2-0. Two have been 2-1 and we won 3-1 against Bristol Rovers.

It really is a case of if we manage to keep our squad, get players back fit and bring in that left back we need, the second half of the season is there for us to go on and really achieve something.

Interesting analysis
  • Dazzler21 said:

People expecting over 86 points...

He's not stupid, he knows how much he's losing each month and he knows the club is worth more in the Championship. Therefore, it's in his interests to sell us as an attractive proposition with future value.
  • Dazzler21 said:

He's not stupid, he knows how much he's losing each month and he knows the club is worth more in the Championship. Therefore, it's in his interests to sell us as an attractive proposition with future value.
    If thats the case why didnt Roland allow Bowyer to sign more players in the summer and so not force us to have such a small subs bench against Sunderland?
  • Dazzler21 said:

Eh? (Or should I say ‘huh’?!)

He is extremely effing stupid. He’s displayed that very clearly for 5 years.