Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Raheem Sterling

Anyone know why the media have it in for Sterling,

He didnt even play yesterday and the media seem to be using that against him.

This is the 1st paragraph in the observer

Comments

• Because there has to be a scapegoat.
  • There are more QPR supporting sports writers than you'd think.
  • Still 23.....

His career might go the opposite way to Rooneys in that I can see improvements with age.
  • Flavour of the month now in Spain as well after his recent performance for England against them, with the media suggesting Real Madrid want him. Don't know if he will happen and not sure if he's the kind of player who would do well abroad, but pleased to see him doing well for England now after so much ridiculous criticism from the press.
  • Under the guidance of Pep, I am sure Sterling is only going to continue to improve. He has come on enormously over the last 12-18 months and at his age it is exciting what more he can do.

People forget his age as he has been around for a few seasons, people also love to moan and are stubborn, even when a player proves them wrong, they continue to find something to criticise him with. It is rather embarrassing.

If England pursue with the 433 we have played recently, it could really suit him and become a key player for the national team.

I like him and think with a bit more top quality coaching, he could become an incredible player with so many traits that go in his favour already.
  • Sponsored links:

• For those who just want to read the article:

In his post, England international Sterling cites newspaper headlines about team-mates Tosin Adarabioyo and Phil Foden buying houses.

The headline referring to 21-year-old defender Adarabioyo - who is on loan at West Brom - focuses on how he spent £2.25m on a property "despite having never started a Premier League match".

By contrast, midfielder Foden, 18, "buys a £2m home for his mum" and is later described as having "set up a future".

"You have two young players starting out their careers - both play for the same team, both have done the right thing, which is buy a new house for their mothers who have put in a lot of time and love into helping them get where they are," Sterling said.

"But look at how the newspapers get their message across for the young black player and then for the young white player.

"I think this is unacceptable, both innocent, have not done a thing wrong but just by the way it has been worded, this young black kid is looked at in a bad light, which helps fuel racism and aggressive behaviour."

I agree that the media treatment is uneven though I would partially excuse them as one player Foden is much spoken about as a future star for Man City and England, has appeared this season for Man City and was a key part of the England U17 WC winning team, whereas the other hasn't played for any England youth teams since 2015 and is pretty much an unknown at 21.

In his post, England international Sterling cites newspaper headlines about team-mates Tosin Adarabioyo and Phil Foden buying houses.

The headline referring to 21-year-old defender Adarabioyo - who is on loan at West Brom - focuses on how he spent £2.25m on a property "despite having never started a Premier League match".

By contrast, midfielder Foden, 18, "buys a £2m home for his mum" and is later described as having "set up a future".

"You have two young players starting out their careers - both play for the same team, both have done the right thing, which is buy a new house for their mothers who have put in a lot of time and love into helping them get where they are," Sterling said.

"But look at how the newspapers get their message across for the young black player and then for the young white player.

"I think this is unacceptable, both innocent, have not done a thing wrong but just by the way it has been worded, this young black kid is looked at in a bad light, which helps fuel racism and aggressive behaviour."

I agree that the media treatment is uneven though I would partially excuse them as one player Foden is much spoken about as a future star for Man City and England, has appeared this season for Man City and was a key part of the England U17 WC winning team, whereas the other hasn't played for any England youth teams since 2015 and is pretty much an unknown at 21.
    I kind of understand your point. But when you expand it out, going in to the 2016 World Cup Sterling had the audacity to buy a home for his mum, he was well established for both club and country at that point, and yet look at the treatment he got. And before the whole defeat to Iceland (where Sterling won a penalty with his pace in behind) comes in, keep in mind Rooney couldn't trap a ball and Harry Kane looked like an aging cart horse in that tournament.
  • SDAddick said:

For those who just want to read the article:

I kind of understand your point. But when you expand it out, going in to the 2016 World Cup Sterling had the audacity to buy a home for his mum, he was well established for both club and country at that point, and yet look at the treatment he got. And before the whole defeat to Iceland (where Sterling won a penalty with his pace in behind) comes in, keep in mind Rooney couldn't trap a ball and Harry Kane looked like an aging cart horse in that tournament.
    The treatment of Sterling by the media is wrong, they vilify everything he does, but I don’t think it’s cos of his colour, I’m pretty sure when he first came about there was a few stories leaked from people he knew about him being a wrongun, load of kids to different mums etc and the journo’s have had it in for him since. Journo’s are vermin in my eyes but I don’t think it’s a race thing otherwise they’d be vilifying every young black player. It’s just a strange unnecessary dislike they seem to have for Sterling for some mistakes he made when he was a teenager and it always rears it’s head when the national team need him most, pisses me off.
  • edited December 2018

Massive Sterling fan and delighted he’s doing well for club and county. No reason why he can’t reach the level of Hazard, Neymar etc in the next 3 or 4 years.

Lack of consistency means he'll never get there. Be good if he gets a bit more prolific though - shut the dickheads in the press up
    18 goals and 15 assists last season. (Way better than Hazard)

8 goals and 6 assists in 13 games so far this season.

Needs to be more consistent? I don't understand comments like this but they are somehow frequent
  • Carter said:

SDAddick said:

For those who just want to read the article:

The treatment of Sterling by the media is wrong, they vilify everything he does, but I don’t think it’s cos of his colour, I’m pretty sure when he first came about there was a few stories leaked from people he knew about him being a wrongun, load of kids to different mums etc and the journo’s have had it in for him since. Journo’s are vermin in my eyes but I don’t think it’s a race thing otherwise they’d be vilifying every young black player. It’s just a strange unnecessary dislike they seem to have for Sterling for some mistakes he made when he was a teenager and it always rears it’s head when the national team need him most, pisses me off.
    It's an easy one to pick on though, Raheem Sterling is a winner as far as I'm concerned, for a winger he has never been afraid to use his physicality and isn't a pussy by any stretch. The grief he got for having that tattoo was ridiculous and I'm glad the tabloid press seem to be in their death throes now. By and large the British public have stuck up a pair of fingers to them and every moron who said b3 should have been dropped for Rashford during the world cup.

He actually is a role model, the way I've heard first hand how he behaves with you fans is something to be admired.

Whilst neither article would sway my mind, good on him for speaking up
    Agree
  • edited December 2018
    Chunes said:

Massive Sterling fan and delighted he’s doing well for club and county. No reason why he can’t reach the level of Hazard, Neymar etc in the next 3 or 4 years.

Lack of consistency means he'll never get there. Be good if he gets a bit more prolific though - shut the dickheads in the press up

Needs to be more consistent? I don't understand comments like this but they are somehow frequent
    You can't argue the numbers, they're just too good. So they resort to something nebulous like "consistency" so if God forbid he should go a game or two without a goal then he can be bashed as much as they like.

Yes, the press reported the allegations today, but I guarantee you by the end of the week there'll be articles saying he should have waited for proof before saying anything, or just ignored it. Hell, it'll be tomorrow as likely as not.
  • Sponsored links:

• Chunes said:

Well the comments are consistent at least
  • SDAddick said:

Young footballers have loads of money SHOCK.

English footballer wishes he could write is own headlines. SHOCK.

English media in latent racism SHOCK.
    The media has fully reported the allegations Sterling made today. This despite there being no evidence.

Left wing idiot poster ignores press reports that don't fit his own agenda. SHOCK.
    Lol 4 flags for this, state of it.
  • Nearly flagged it myself but couldn’t be arsed
  • edited December 2018

Nearly flagged it myself but couldn’t be arsed

Samesies
  • edited December 2018
    With Sterling, he is a player who plays better the higher the quality of player around him. And I think that's why he hasn't always done as well for England as he has at club level. I also think it's something that is pretty common for English players in the modern era, Frank Lampard, undoubtedly brilliant at club level for many years, never really wowed in an England shirt. Carrick and Hargreaves, somewhat differently, fall into this category as well for me.

It feels like that's starting to change. If you think of a 4-3-3 with Foden and Dele as attacking midfielders, and Sterling and Sancho either side of Kane, come Euro 2020 that could be a very formidable side, and one where Sterling is playing in a more natural position for him, and isn't as depended upon to provide an attacking spark, with that instead hopefully coming from central midfield.

Also, he just turned 24 yesterday, which is mental.

I hope he asked them both if they are happy to be dragged into this.