Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton women news - 2023-24 fixtures (p56)

Comments

• 500+ attendances are needed to progress in this league according to the rules. The Oakwood is a great venue. Good choice of beers in the clubhouse (and yes you are allowed in). The food inside the ground is excellent and tea, coffee and bovril is only £1. Coupled with some great football you really should make an effort to be there for the next game.
  • I was stood down by the linesman the whole second half. He was a bit over friendly at times, I counted 3 times when a palace player held off a Charlton player to let a ball go for a goal kick him say 'well done' to the palace full back. I thought that a bit odd but didn't really think too much about it at the time as he was chatty.

Then the goal goes in at the end and he flags, it looked initially as he was signalling offside which would have been interesting as there were palace players on or near the goal line, when he got a bit of shouting of 'how was that offside' (namely from Simon Webster and those near me) he changed it to indicating a shirt pull. How he would have seen that I don't know, I'd moved aside from him so I could see and it was just 15 players in the box, the goal scored from the other side to him, we had no idea by whom and the ref was much nearer.

The ref came over and just said, 'no, it's a goal' and blew for full time.

Unsurprisingly the palace management weren't happy!
  • Crusty54 said:

500+ attendances are needed to progress in this league according to the rules. The Oakwood is a great venue. Good choice of beers in the clubhouse (and yes you are allowed in). The food inside the ground is excellent and tea, coffee and bovril is only £1. Coupled with some great football you really should make an effort to be there for the next game.

As cocktails go, that sounds like one of the worst
  • Crusty54 said:

500+ attendances are needed to progress in this league according to the rules. The Oakwood is a great venue. Good choice of beers in the clubhouse (and yes you are allowed in). The food inside the ground is excellent and tea, coffee and bovril is only £1. Coupled with some great football you really should make an effort to be there for the next game.

Is that an average of 500+? or just over 500 for one game?
  • shirty5 said:

Crusty54 said:

Average gates
  • Crusty54 said:

shirty5 said:

Crusty54 said:

Average gates
    I see
  • Sponsored links:

• Varney and Murray.
  • Lost 5 0 to Arsenal last night
  • JohnnyH2 said:

Lost 5 0 to Arsenal last night

Concentrating on the league and automatic promotion, hopefully. Great season so far.
  • No disgrace, Arsenal are top of the womens premier league.
  • To win 7 out of their first 10 games in the championship after being promoted from the third tier is a wonderful achievement so far.
    After Spurs surprise defeat to Durham, Charlton women have gone second to Man United who have a full time squad with the England LB as well as Casey Stoney recently retired 100+ England international as their head coach.

It's been a long road back from Murray's decision to scrap the successful Charlton ladies team 10 years ago, but this present team are wearing the shirt with pride.

I guess those 5-0 defeats will be rather regular if we get promoted to the Super League next year

Seems like a rather big gap between the majority of Super League and the rest for sure
  • To win 7 out of their first 10 games in the championship after being promoted from the third tier is a wonderful achievement so far.
    After Spurs surprise defeat to Durham, Charlton women have gone second to Man United who have a full time squad with the England LB as well as Casey Stoney recently retired 100+ England international as their head coach.

It's been a long road back from Murray's decision to scrap the successful Charlton ladies team 10 years ago, but this present team are wearing the shirt with pride.

I guess those 5-0 defeats will be rather regular if we get promoted to the Super League next year

Seems like a rather big gap between the majority of Super League and the rest for sure
    No different probably to us playing a big Premiership club like Crystal Palace...

• JohnnyH2 said:

Lost 5 0 to Arsenal last night

No point trying if there's no chance of winning it.
  • LenGlover said:

To win 7 out of their first 10 games in the championship after being promoted from the third tier is a wonderful achievement so far.

No different probably to us playing a big Premiership club like Crystal Palace...

If that wasn’t actually very true Len I think I might have flagged you.

• Sponsored links:

• LenGlover said:

To win 7 out of their first 10 games in the championship after being promoted from the third tier is a wonderful achievement so far.

If that wasn’t actually very true Len I think I might have flagged you.

That's the tragedy of it. I deserve a flag for a comment like that under normal circumstances.
  • I doubt whether Charlton will have the funds to go professional

Arsenal women have only lost one game this season to Man city last week.

Unless the new owner puts decent money into the women's team I can't see how we could get back to the side we had over a decade ago. That said this squad has made the step up to the championship with ease with 8 new signings blending so well with the 3rd tier winning squad.

Liz Ejupi has been the stand out player with a hat full of goals so far, and Kit Graham with develop as she gets over a foot injury and finds her scoring boots from last season.
    The keeper Katie Startup is a great shot stopper who have been called up to the England Lionesses national training camp this December.

Would be impossible to hold on to any of the girls if they are offered a full time contract by the 11 WSL sides or Man utd the full time side in the Championship.
  • redman said:

I doubt whether Charlton will have the funds to go professional

Scrap the men’s team and put all our effort into the women.

• Man Utd women lost today

If we can beat Lewes we go joint top

0-0 after 40 minutes
  • 1-0 Charlton
    Joint top as it stands
  • 2nil up - 10 to go