Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

TV Licensing Scam

I recently had an email purporting to be from the TV Licensing people asking me to update my direct debit details. It was a scam but very well done as the layout and fonts were identical to previous emails from the official site. The giveaways were the lack of my name (addressed Dear Sir/Madam), the wrong renewal date and asking for my mother’s maiden name.

The official site issued the warning below, in September, but I haven’t seen it published anywhere.

"How do I know if a text from TV Licensing is genuine and not a scam?
Warning - Direct Debit text scam
A small number of our customers have received text messages which says there’s a problem with their Direct Debit. It asks them to set up a new payment plan or risk facing a £200 fine. The link in the text directs customers to a fake version of the official TV Licensing website which asks them to enter personal information and bank details.
If you receive a similar text message, please delete it. If you have already clicked the link, do not enter or submit any information. TV Licensing is investigating the source of this fraud.
If you have received a text message and are unsure if it’s from the official TV Licensing, the following advice may help you:
Did you sign up to TV Licensing’s text reminder service?
Is the text out of the blue?
Check the sender
Check the links go to the TV Licensing website
Check the number we ask you to call
Does it ask for personal information?
Are there any changes in style, spelling and grammar?
Need any further help or advice?"

Comments

• Mrs ltgtr received that email. I haven’t. Coincidentally she’s the one that pays the tv licence, not me, and it’s the only thing/utility etc that she pays for. Or was it not a coincidence and the weak link is the tv licensing site ?
  • I agree it is the TV licensing site that is probably at fault. Presumably their site has been hacked but don’t want to admit it.
  • I agree it is the TV licensing site that is probably at fault. Presumably their site has been hacked but don’t want to admit it.

Worried about being fined maybe?
  • No - I got it and I haven't paid for a tv license for 20 years.

The risk to any organisation of not declaring a data breach is enough to suggest its random

The risk to any organisation of not declaring a data breach is enough to suggest its random
    Surely if the website had been hacked they scammers would have more details including name and correct expiry date. Definitely random. Bastards though.

• Recieved this e.mail today. It links to an incredibly sophisticated and authentic looking website. I half completed the form before becoming suspicious and googling “Tv scam e.mailsl” . Beware!
  • I received it a good few months ago.  It is one of the best I've seen.