Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlie Austin Rant

Charlie’s none too happy about a decision given against him at the weekend, to be fair he’s got a point, all together now... all the people, so many people...

https://youtu.be/AdxZjRHq2SM

Comments

• What a geezer! Half of it looks exaggerated to keep up the 'Honest lad Charlie' reputation!
  • You can hear the West Country come out more given he’s angry
  • watford should of had a pen, but obviously that is not commented on.
  • edited November 2018
    As you say, the same ref missed a pen and sending off that would have probably lost them the game! Not much of a testimonial for the ref, but the truth is, his incompetence probably was more damaging for Watford!

Which could also have been a second yellow for the Saints player.
  • any team that are managed by mark hughes i will never be too upset when they come unstuck.

the ref was shit but then was shit for both sides.

2 of my more disliked clubs in the prem aside from the wankers from croydon.

Watford definitely should have had a penalty. Trouble is by the time the Austin goal is disallowed the Watford penalty is a historic event and Austin is correct 2-0 would have ended the game and also hauled them up and above Palace.

But given the penalty not given for Watford a draw was a fair result.
  • I met him a few years ago on the evening he scored a brilliant goal for Burnley in there 1-0 win at the valley. I met him in Newbury as he comes from Kintbury. He was staying down the weekend at his families and was taking his mates out for the evening. Spent about 5 minutes chatting as we were introduced by a work colleague who grew up with him. Seems a decent bloke and wouldn't stop bragging to me about the goal though, although he did say he slightly mis hit it...Cheers.
  • Sponsored links:

• And how many points have Southampton players cost themselves by missing chances/ making defensive errors etc? More than referees have cost them that's for sure.

The problem is players and managers mistakes get forgiven whilst referee's mistakes are scrutinized and analysed to death by pundits. As Brian Clough once said, it's criminal.
  • alicwkd said:

And how many points have Southampton players cost themselves by missing chances/ making defensive errors etc? More than referees have cost them that's for sure.

The problem is players and managers mistakes get forgiven whilst referee's mistakes are scrutinized and analysed to death by pundits. As Brian Clough once said, it's criminal.

In fairness it was a post-match interview so it’s all going to be very fresh, I doubt he’d had time to compose his thoughts for a rational analysis of the bigger picture before a microphone was shoved in his face.
  • I thought I understood the offside law ! But it seems I don't.
    It looked to me like Yoshida was well offside and close to the keeper (so interfering with play?) although he made no attempt to touch the ball.
    However, all the 'pundits' say he wasn't. Also the ball appears to have deflected off a defender. So does this change things?
  • se9addick said:

alicwkd said:

And how many points have Southampton players cost themselves by missing chances/ making defensive errors etc? More than referees have cost them that's for sure.

In fairness it was a post-match interview so it’s all going to be very fresh, I doubt he’d had time to compose his thoughts for a rational analysis of the bigger picture before a microphone was shoved in his face.
    Yeah fair point. I think pundits and managers in particular need to be much more dignified when speaking about referees, but it's understandable that a player would be angry in the heat of the moment.
  • Daggs said:

I thought I understood the offside law ! But it seems I don't.
    It looked to me like Yoshida was well offside and close to the keeper (so interfering with play?) although he made no attempt to touch the ball.
    However, all the 'pundits' say he wasn't. Also the ball appears to have deflected off a defender. So does this change things?

I think, he has to be within the keeper's line of sight. Had the officials said that was the issue, I think you can have a discussion and fall either way, but they said he touched it, which he clearly didn't.
  • Ah I see. The Ref. thought Yoshida touched the ball, had he done so it would have been unquestionably offside. But the slight deflection came from a defender on the ground.

V.A.R. would have cleared it up !!!!
  • VAR...... the only major European league still without it.
  • All the post match chat on MOTD was about Yoshida being in the line of sight. They correctly said he wasn't.
    But the failed to mention the reason for ruling it out was the linesman believed Yoshida had touched it. Nothing to do with line of sight, almost as if the pundits didn't hear the commentary and were never told the reason it had been ruled out.

Either way VAR would have got the correct decision.

VAR also would have seen Watford get a penalty earlier on and probably Bertrand sent off too.

Swings and roundabouts?
  • I quite like players losing their shit once in a while, although I expect that each player in that Southampton team (Charlie Austin included) has made more individual errors over the course of this season than any of the match officials on Saturday.

I blame the insidious influence of that chronic moaner, Mark ('It's always someone else's fault) Hughes.
  • Sponsored links:

• VAR...... the only major European league still without it.

Yeah but at least we get to make internet memes and talk about it in the pub afterwards........