Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Incredible feats of supporting Charlton

Comments

• I’ve missed 92 consecutive games over the last couple of years .. :disappointed:
  • _MrDick said:

I’ve missed 92 consecutive games over the last couple of years .. :disappointed:

Proper Charlton that.
  • Does the 1,000 include Mickey Mouse cup games?
  • Hate to tell you this MuttleyCAFC,it also includes pre season friendlys aswell.
  • Wracked my brains and I can confirm my years of support have been very mundane.

Yes, me too. I seem to remember running from the Royal Standard once because the kick off was earlier than I thought. I also got soaked watching us play Bury once.
  • I occasionally leave the pub to attend home games, at least the first half.
  • I cant think of anything really but in the 2000-01 and 2001-02 seasons I only missed one home game, commuting all the way from Winchester. It ain't that impressive to be fair. Season before that I think the only home game I missed was when I was at V99.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited November 2018

I watched us play Wycombe at home in the league cup under led Reid in 2006.

I continued to support Charlton after that.

Mr W and I took time off work and flew down from Glasgow for that match. One of the worst.

Then there was the time we drove to Grimsby away from Glasgow - because I thought it was on the way to Manchester, from where we were flying to Kenya on holiday. Only realised where Grimsby was on opening the road atlas (remember those days?) in the car. We got to Grimsby at 3pm only to discover the ground is in Cleethorpes. Made it through turnstiles at 3.15, Clive Mendonca having scored what turned out to be the only goal of the game a minute or two earlier - for them.

Not sure either is incredible but certainly stupid.
  • Hate to tell you this MuttleyCAFC,it also includes pre season friendlys aswell.

Pretty sure it doesn't. He hasn't missed one in the same time but I'm pretty sure he doesn't count pre season games in the tally.

Pretty sure it doesn't. He hasn't missed one in the same time but I'm pretty sure he doesn't count pre season games in the tally.
  • Memorable trip home from Old Trafford after Mark Stuart’s winner my car burst into flames on the dual carriageway near the ground causing traffic chaos. The 5 of us hitched and whilst 3 got a CAFC fan, we got a cockney red. Dropped us somewhere in North London and tubed it back to Charing X
  • Once ended up in the wrong country for a preseason friendly!
  • I started putting my change in a jar in 1968 to make sure I had the money for our first competitive European fixture. I am now only a couple of seasons shy of being able to buy the club.

If you want to put in an offer now we'll pass the hat round for the difference.
  • Stewart said:

_MrDick said:

I’ve missed 920 consecutive away games over the last couple of years .. :disappointed:

Proper Charlton that.
    Agreed

I stand corrected.Well done SEB ON 1000 GAMES, THAT TAKES SOME DOING.
  • Sponsored links:

• Cafc43v3r said:

Once ended up in the wrong country for a preseason friendly!

Which game?
  • Cafc43v3r said:

Which game?
    Roda I think
  • A few of us made a late decision to spend NY in Amsterdam in 89. Everyone booked for 3 nights but me and one of my mates wanted to come back for the home game against Southampton. After getting completely wankered on NYE, we got up and flew home in the morning and went straight to the game.

Looking back on it, we must have been fucking mad.

We lost 4 2.
  • edited November 2018
    Remember going to Cambridge Utd in 1980 In a friends car, we ended up at Cambridge City fc, we only just made ko,and we ended up losing 4-0.

• Cafc43v3r said:

Cafc43v3r said:

Which game?
    Roda I think
    Where did you end up?
  • A few of us made a late decision to spend NY in Amsterdam in 89. Everyone booked for 3 nights but me and one of my mates wanted to come back for the home game against Southampton. After getting completely wankered on NYE, we got up and flew home in the morning and went straight to the game.

Looking back on it, we must have been fucking mad.

We lost 4 2.

The only bit that shocked me about this was ‘we got up and flew home’

I would’ve assumed there was no going to bed
  • 21 people going to China isn't a bad shout, 5 of whom came back with tattoos in Cantonese saying Charlton. And before anyone says egg fried rice etc, translation has been verified by numerous sources.
  • 21 people going to China isn't a bad shout, 5 of whom came back with tattoos in Cantonese saying Charlton. And before anyone says egg fried rice etc, translation has been verified by numerous sources.

Nothing much can top this for attending an away friendly.