Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Incredible feats of supporting Charlton

Sebbo's 1,000th consecutive game is one hell of an achievement and it's got me wondering what other great feats of Charlton support people have completed?

Ever walked miles to a game?
Hitch-hiked to Carlisle?
Anything else?

Comments

• We broke down at Redhill on the way to Southampton in 87. Left the car and got a cab to the ground for £60 which was a fair bit back then. Jumped on the coach on the way home and picked the car up the following morning.
  • I once went to 110 consecutive home and away games - the run was only broken because I couldn’t face going to Barnsley for the 3rd time in that run. Some of my most miserable games as a Charlton fan were in that run (2 1-0 away defeats at Grimsby spring to mind). The highlights were the 4-3 win at Newcastle and 1-0 away win at West Ham when we were sharing with them....and of course the return back to The Valley.
    After missing the Barnsley game, I then went on a 75 consecutive home and away game run.
    Over a 5 year period I only missed about 10 games. Which was quite an achievement because the run started when I was 15 and midweek away games meant bunking off school.
    For the last 4 years I’d be surprised if I’ve been to many more than 30.

Barnsley and Grimsby are my favourite away days out
  • I walked to Southend for an away game.
  • Stig said:

I walked to Southend for an away game.

From where @Stig? How long did it take. What was the reason?
  • Anyone going to watch Charlton more than once deserves a medal.
  • Sponsored links:

• LouisMend said:

Stig said:

Southend
  • Huddersfield away in the 90s? opening day of the season, we lost 2-0. Talked my dad into driving 3-4 of us and his gearbox blew somewhere near Northampton, we got the AA Relay guy to take us to the game, wait and then drive us home, my Dad always praised the AA after that, the AA bloke was a legend!
  • Late 60s walking to derbies was the norm. Bunking on the train for aways and cadging a lift or sneaking on the coach to get back was the done thing.
  • I once had to park my car by the Thames Barrier and walk to the Valley. Never forget it, what a palaver!
  • LouisMend said:

Stig said:

Southend
    A little bit further, Great Wakering :wink:
  • There was that girl from Bexleyheath who for years during the 90s/00s had the Charlton badge emblazoned on the bonnet of her white car
  • Used to hitch to games all over back in the day. Once got a lift as far as the Rugby turnoff from Michael Glickstein coming home from Chesterfield after the game which was just before the Preston promotion game.
  • Drove to Newcastle and back for a midweek game 1993 ... 2-2 draw got there 45 mins before game and bang straight after back home and in to work the next day.
    Had one mate and a random in the car
  • Sponsored links:

• Went to Bolton away twice in a week, FA cup on the Saturday and league game midweek
  • Went to a Swindon midweek cup game as buying a ticket qualified you to get a ticket for Palace away. The plan was to pay the five quid for the ticket and then leave at HT so we'd make our trains home.

Turns out a load of our pals had made the journey and we won 4-0 (iirc) so we stayed for the whole game and ended up missing our connecting train at Reading. We just about managed to get the last train out of London to Purley but as I was still in school I couldn't afford a cab home so had to walk the 5 miles instead!
  • SE7toSG3 said:

Huddersfield away in the 90s? opening day of the season, we lost 2-0. Talked my dad into driving 3-4 of us and his gearbox blew somewhere near Northampton, we got the AA Relay guy to take us to the game, wait and then drive us home, my Dad always praised the AA after that, the AA bloke was a legend!

Didn't someone leave Berlin undefended, so the Soviets could have strolled in anytime, just to watch the full members cup final @SE7toSG3
    And got jailed on my return, as for winning the Cold War and maintaining the freedom of Western Europe at the sacrifice of my youth from the massing Soviet hoardes whilst you went to football, I dont like to talk about it.
  • Wracked my brains and I can confirm my years of support have been very mundane.
  • Went to Bolton away twice in a week, FA cup on the Saturday and league game midweek

The league game was on a Saturday.