Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Mark Marshall

Not quite worked out for him so far.
But his commitment you can never doubt and a nicer guy you will never meet.
Loved his comments after the game and I still believe he has a role to play this season
COYR

Comments

• He's a 442 winger and has been decent when we play that way.

Defended well today and put in two dangerous crosses.
  • He's a 442 winger and has been decent when we play that way.

Defended well today and put in two dangerous crosses.

I was pleased with his cameo today. I thought he was more effective than Igor, when Ward had his late break down the left he was nearer getting on the end of the cross than Igor.
  • He did well - two excellent crosses
  • He might be a nice guy but I’ve not seen him go past a defender yet . He tracks back well but offensively he’s just not good enough .
  • He might be a nice guy but I’ve not seen him go past a defender yet . He tracks back well but offensively he’s just not good enough .

Didn’t see him when he came on today I guess then as he skipped past a couple of defenders and put in a dangerous cross. Was lively and almost had an assist.
  • He showed glimpses of how good he is in the latter stages of last season when Bowyer first took over and played 442. Thought he was good today when he came on, and as already mentioned - he’s a very nice guy
  • Pedro45 said:

The cynic in me says he, Sarr, and Igor all got on so we don't have to play other first steamers on Tuesday to avoid a fine.

That said, I do think he has something to offer and he balances a 442 well.

We're playing a league game on Tuesday.
    Oops. Too early on a Sunday morning for me obviously!
  • Sponsored links:

• Fair play, thought he did well
  • Fair play, thought he did well

Me too. Thought he got well involved.
  • great run & cross down the right that Igor just couldn't get to. sitting in the East it was hard to see who it was at first, and when he started to trot back & I saw the no 7 on his back I thought "blow me.....he can cross the ball then".
  • image.

image.

Generous too as donated this to the museum yesterday

So that’s why he hasn’t been playing lately - he hasn’t got a shirt
  • Ross said:

image.

image.

Generous too as donated this to the museum yesterday

So that’s why he hasn’t been playing lately - he hasn’t got a shirt
    Biggest issue is the fact his head has disappeared
  • Ist class attitude from Marshall,hope he can turn his career at the valley round and we can see the player he could be.
  • sadly he is on the decline, we signed him 2 years too late.

Beating a defender is just for show! Creating a yard to cross the ball is far more important.
    John Robinson used to beat his man several times when he first arrived and then have no end product.
    When he eventually got the idea that when you are able to cross then get it over he was way more effective. IMO
  • Beckham was a master of whipping the ball in without the need to take on a defender. I think when you take on a defender, often the cross at the end of it is rushed, unless you completely mug them off! I think players who beat a defender should try to drive into the box more often. Things can happen in the box - you can get fouled, you can see a team mate free out of the corner of your eye etc...
  • Comes across as a top top pro. People like that are always good to have around the squad, youngsters will look at him doing extra training at 33? and will no doubt have a ripple affect.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited November 2018

Comes across as a top top pro. People like that are always good to have around the squad, youngsters will look at him doing extra training at 33? and will no doubt have a ripple affect.

He's 31.

He's got good fitness, a strong work ethic and the right attitude - no reason why he hasn't got another few seasons in his tank.
    Just needs to add that vital spark of confidence to his game.

Other players speak highly of him.

• Comes across as a top top pro. People like that are always good to have around the squad, youngsters will look at him doing extra training at 33? and will no doubt have a ripple affect.

Spoke to a youngster on the fringes of the first team about a year ago. When I asked him which player is good to have around, he said Marshall's name without hesitation (followed by Jason Pearce).
  • For me - he has right back written all over him at this stage of his career. Defensively, he has always been very sound.
  • For me - he has right back written all over him at this stage of his career. Defensively, he has always been very sound.

this, think he could become an excellent right back
  • Problem is we need a LEFT back.
  • Perhaps being a left sided right footer is why he struggles to get past defenders
  • addick05 said:

Problem is we need a LEFT back.

Not any more ;)
  • He looked brilliant when he came on for those last few minutes yesterday, bit of a luxury to have someone like that come off the bench
  • He looked brilliant when he came on for those last few minutes yesterday, bit of a luxury to have someone like that come off the bench

If you want an option off the bench to shake things up and change the course of the march, Marshall probably isn't it. But when you want an experienced player to see things through and play sensibly to keep things running smoothly then he's just what we need.