Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Tuesday nights at The Valley - what's going wrong?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Crispy said:

Crispy said:

Crispy said:

My feeling over the last couple of years is that due to having a small squad, we tend to put everything into a game on the Saturday and the same team don't have the intensity/energy on the Tuesday. If we do make changes for the Tuesday then because it's a small squad, we aren't able to bring in the same quality and the performance suffers from it. Look at Powell's squad in 11/12 - yes it had the majority of the same eleven each game but we were able to change it up on a Tuesday night and have enough quality to win even if we didn't play as well we did the Saturday before

Certainly we played a stronger starting 11 on Saturday than last night. Bielik and Ward were rested due to physical issues which weakened us

Did Powell change things much on Tuesday nights? I thought we kept a pretty settled team
    Definitely changed a bit in the second half of the season but Powell used loan window wisely and boosted squad with players like Cook and N'Guessan who did a job in getting us over the line
    The core of the team would have stayed the same though. Hamer, Solly, Wiggins, Morrison, Jackson, Hollands, BWP, Yann, Dale, Taylor etc all played a lot of games that season, it's not as if on Tuesdays we rotated a lot, especially in October when you'd expect the players to still be quite fresh.
    Agreed. But I'd also say that the core of that team is far superior to the core of our current team, hence why that side lost 5 all season and we've already lost 4 this year.
    Definitely, though that's a different issue...

That team was more robust as well, I can't think of many major injuries that season, plus every position was covered too
  • Options
    AshBurton said:

This is our home record in Tuesday league matches in the last 4 seasons:

P16 W3 D7 L6

The trail of woe:

2018/19: Peterborough 0-1, Oxford 1-1
    2017/18: Wigan 0-3, Rochdale 2-1, Peterborough 2-2, Bradford 1-1
    2016/17: Shrewsbury 3-0, Oldham 1-1, Oxford 0-1, Scunthorpe 2-1, Bradford 1-1, MK Dons 0-2
    2015/16: Huddersfield 1-2, Preston 0-3, Bolton 2-2, MK Dons 0-0

Why are we consistently so poor in these midweek home games - often against mediocre opposition?

It's really getting to me now.

Not enough quality players to play 2 games in a week
  • Options

Crispy said:

Crispy said:

Crispy said:

My feeling over the last couple of years is that due to having a small squad, we tend to put everything into a game on the Saturday and the same team don't have the intensity/energy on the Tuesday. If we do make changes for the Tuesday then because it's a small squad, we aren't able to bring in the same quality and the performance suffers from it. Look at Powell's squad in 11/12 - yes it had the majority of the same eleven each game but we were able to change it up on a Tuesday night and have enough quality to win even if we didn't play as well we did the Saturday before

Certainly we played a stronger starting 11 on Saturday than last night. Bielik and Ward were rested due to physical issues which weakened us

Did Powell change things much on Tuesday nights? I thought we kept a pretty settled team
    Definitely changed a bit in the second half of the season but Powell used loan window wisely and boosted squad with players like Cook and N'Guessan who did a job in getting us over the line
    The core of the team would have stayed the same though. Hamer, Solly, Wiggins, Morrison, Jackson, Hollands, BWP, Yann, Dale, Taylor etc all played a lot of games that season, it's not as if on Tuesdays we rotated a lot, especially in October when you'd expect the players to still be quite fresh.
    Agreed. But I'd also say that the core of that team is far superior to the core of our current team, hence why that side lost 5 all season and we've already lost 4 this year.
    Definitely, though that's a different issue...

That team was more robust as well, I can't think of many major injuries that season, plus every position was covered too
    We have had a few horrific seasons with injuries (what that can be down to I don't know as it can't just be bad luck) but as long as Roland is here then this situation will continue. We do not have a big enough squad to cope with minimal injuries, let alone the amount we had last year and to a point this. Powell was able to have a squad of 25 quality players and didn't have to rely on youngsters. I'm happy to see the likes of Lapslie and Morgan get a chance but you need to have more experienced heads in front of them IMO to be a promotion winning team. They can get you through the rigours of 3 games in 7 days with 7-9 points each time.
  • Options
    Used to a love a Tuesday night game under the floodlights at The Valley .
    Can’t remember the last home league midweek game I went to , definitely none last season and I’m not sure about the season before .
    Did the Shrewsbury play off game .
    The Roland effect .
  • Options
    For me it's not the atmosphere at The Valley.

I've done a few midweek away league games in recent years including Doncaster, Preston, Oldham and Shrewsbury which all spring to mind where they play in front of smaller crowds in smaller stadiums which are just as flat in terms of atmosphere.

Yes The Valley may seem emptier but it still carries more of an atmosphere than most other grounds in this league.
  • Options
    This was my first game since the home game at the end of the last season v blackburn.I like to think of myself as a boycotter but in truth im a "cant be bothered" merchant.
    The contrast couldnt be greater .I believe the team is stronger in some areas this season with a potent strike force and some inventive midfielders but the defense looks a bit shaky with no proper left back and a makeshift centre half.
    The real difference was in the atmosphere which was non existent.With probably arounf 7000 in the ground and spread out it wasnt possible to get going off the pitch to change the mood of the players.No inspiration on the pitch to change the mood in the stands[lethargy at best].The blackburn game was buzzing ,amazing.
    I cant see me coming back anytime soon [unless of course Roland goes and then the atmosphere will once again be electric i am sure].
  • Options
    Re-arranged games are worse......esp away from home. Not expecting anything from the Wallsall or Pompey games. Games in hand = nil points.
  • Options

Crispy said:

Crispy said:

I loved that team :(
  • Options
    I gave up my ST last season but said I'll pop down after work for the Tuesday home games. I don't even do that anymore! For me it has a lot to do with the atmosphere, it's bloody awful at the moment and especially when the stuff on the pitch isn't great I'm finding it hard to get motivated to watch them
  • Options

For me it's not the atmosphere at The Valley.

I've done a few midweek away league games in recent years including Doncaster, Preston, Oldham and Shrewsbury which all spring to mind where they play in front of smaller crowds in smaller stadiums which are just as flat in terms of atmosphere.

Yes The Valley may seem emptier but it still carries more of an atmosphere than most other grounds in this league.

Agreed. I find it baffling when people say there's no atmosphere at the Valley, as when I go to away matches, the home areas are like a library for most of the match, only making any noise if they have scored.

I'm sure our home areas make more noise than the majority of clubs in our league.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Can’t remember seeing us win in the last 4 years when I’ve gone to a Tuesday night game. Maybe I’m the Jonah here and should boycott