Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Car nicked last night in Thorntree Road

edited December 2019 in Not Sports Related
Got back to it just as game was finishing to see it being driven off, anyone local keep an eye out please - it’s fairly distinctive with the roof box. Ta

Comments

• edited October 2018
    Sorry to hear that, i'll keep an eye out.

Any sign of how they stole it?
  • No idea, literally saw it being driven away, 30 secs earlier I’d have caught them.....thought with alarm / immobiliser etc they were harder to nick now.
  • Is it keyless?
  • Sorry to hear that EA. Was parked just off the same road. What I can’t understand is why nick an S-Max? What plate is it just in case anyone sees a black one?
  • Sorry to hear that EA. Was parked just off the same road. What I can’t understand is why nick an S-Max? What plate is it just in case anyone sees a black one?

Parts probably. Unfortunately it's probably already been stripped or is on its way out of the country. Although living round that way I will of course keep an eye out.

Father in law had his car knicked a couple of months back. Police said there's been quite a of car thefts in Greenwich recently, especially with keyless cars.

Apparently they are really easy to steal. Thieves buy a relay amplifier and transmitter and one will stand by the car with the transmitter, while a second waves the amplifier near the house the car is parked outside. If the car’s fob is close enough, the amplifier will detect its signal, amplify it and send it to the accomplice’s transmitter. This then opens that car, allows the thieves to push the start button and drive away.

It's not much help now, but for anyone else with a keyless car I'd recommend a signal block

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Keyless-Entry-Signal-Blocker-Faraday/dp/B071ZGGRD1

@Elthamaddick Was it outside your house, or just parked there while you were watching the game?
  • just parked whilst we were at the game, right outside Thorntree School....it's more half the stuff that was in it that's the pain
  • The problem with keyless cars is it only takes one prat to hack and upload it online. Then anyone is able to unlock those cars.

Al least with keyed cars it takes a little more skill and practice to get the buggers open.
  • edited October 2018
    Unfortunately, car thefts are back on the rise big time. Latest figures show that 109,459 motor vehicles were stolen in England and Wales in 2017, compared to 92,795 vehicles in 2016 - an 18 per cent rise compared to the previous year’s figure. I understand this year's figure will also be well up.

Elthamaddick, I sympathise with you hugely. I had my old T reg Peugeot 406 nicked about 4 months ago. Needless to say never saw it again. Made a few enquiries and was told there was a gang of Romanians in the area who had a tow truck and who were just picking old cars up and driving off with them. Was told the cars would probably be stripped down and scrapped within a few hours.

Unfortunately, the police's response provides no deterrent to those committing the offence. Didn't expect the flying squad to go out looking for my old banger but hoped they might make some effort as there were cameras in the area where the car was nicked. But all we got was a letter 24 hours later saying case had been dropped as no evidence. If the chances of being caught are negligible, it's hardly a deterrent.

Anyway, I really hope you have better luck than me in getting your car back.

(PS Someone suggested to us ask the local mini-cab drivers to look out for your car by offering them a reward if they spot it. Worth trying).
  • Sponsored links:

• edited October 2018

yep

Sounds like they broke in to the car in a conventional way and then plugged into the ODB port. Fords are particularly poor on that one, many owners remove the fuse to the data port. Either that or has your car been into a garage lately? Only other way they’d scan the key when the car isn’t outside the house.

My Cayenne was keyless which always made me a little nervous, my current car is keyless start but not entry, personally I’d rather just have a key!

Anyone who has keyless keep it in a blocking pouch when at home as per link above.

The advice also is to have a physical deterrent As well.

A ghost system is a good stopper as well.
  • Didn't realise the keyless security was so poor.
  • I keep my key with my cards inside a shielded wallet. Not that I knew until now about the key security issue.
  • Great stuff!!
  • I keep my key with my cards inside a shielded wallet. Not that I knew until now about the key security issue.

Keyless is now a thief's dream, although the vast majority of modern cars were stolen with the key (i.e. house break in) as the immobilisers etc are quite sophisticated now. When you think of it, despite all the modern security, it's still a little box with a bit of metal on the end that controls everything, so just get that. Except now with keyless you don't even need to get it, just be near it.

Given the preference I'd rather not have keyless at all.

Some of the models (ford being one) you can also do without scanning the key, bit a little box that plugs into a port can read what it needs, I suspect in this instance that's what happened.
  • update.....wife put pic on FB and bloke in Plumstead has just told her it's in his road and he's phoned the old bill....I just rang them too.

shes now on her way round there with the brother in law who works local to try and retrieve......bloke who saw it is apparently guarding it !

Hopefully a good ending (this bloke must be a bit of a nutter).
  • Great news @Elthamaddick , hope there's no damage!
  • Social media has its uses - hope all is okay.
  • Sponsored links:

• missus got there and jumped in and drove off......ransacked, plenty nicked and it'll need a new door.....but a dam sight more positive than an hour ago !!!

Pleased you got it back. What have the police and insurance said?
  • update.....wife put pic on FB and bloke in Plumstead has just told her it's in his road and he's phoned the old bill....I just rang them too.

shes now on her way round there with the brother in law who works local to try and retrieve......bloke who saw it is apparently guarding it !

Sounds like a Charlton fan driving home :smile:
  • Great news EA.
  • shame you couldn't catch who nicked it, would kneecap them given the chance fuckers, glad you got it back.
  • missus got there and jumped in and drove off......ransacked, plenty nicked and it'll need a new door.....but a dam sight more positive than an hour ago !!!

Good news D

Door will be cheaper than the money youd lose out in the end on insurance

Parts probably. Unfortunately it's probably already been stripped or is on its way out of the country. Although living round that way I will of course keep an eye out.
    Take this back. Great to hear it's turned up and you've got it back.
  • Wasn't expecting that, great stuff getting it back.

Good news D

Door will be cheaper than the money you'd lose out in the end on insurance
    Depends on the damage to the door, a repair could even be cheaper still.
  • Dazzler21 said:

missus got there and jumped in and drove off......ransacked, plenty nicked and it'll need a new door.....but a dam sight more positive than an hour ago !!!

Good news D

Door will be cheaper than the money you'd lose out in the end on insurance
    Depends on the damage to the door, a repair could even be cheaper still.
    The cost of repairs can be eye watering.
  • Sort of a good news story on CL. Well done EA, fecking inconvenient though!