Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

British Gas scam

Had a phone call today, (number withheld), from a female saying she was from British Gas and asking for me or my wife by name. She then proceeded to tell me my guarantee on my new boiler runs out this month, (my guarantee run out 2 years ago), and my new subscription runs out on November 23 (I do not have one). She then quoted me a new monthly or annual fee. If you get a call like this, be warned, British Gas do NOT phone you, they only send a letter unless you phone them first and arrange a call back.

Comments

• I had a call today from someone saying I had qualified for boiler cover. Told her I already had cover.

She then says 'Do you know who it's with?' I thought no I don't have a clue who I'm paying a monthly amount for my cover.

I said 'Yes' and she rang off.

• iaitch said:

I had a call today from someone saying I had qualified for boiler cover. Told her I already had cover.

She then says 'Do you know who it's with?' I thought no I don't have a clue who I'm paying a monthly amount for my cover.

I said 'Yes' and she rang off.

Keep saying 'I'm sorry I can't hear you properly' if you're talking to a scammer - they soon get bored.
  • I get loads of these calls, sometimes I play along and sometimes they are told to go away impolitely.

Seem to get a few lately from the National Cyber Security Group, usual stuff my pc/router has been hacked so they will have to take down my internet connection forever.
  • The in-laws had one the other day claiming to be from HMRC saying there were problems with their taxes and they were being fined. They tried to get payment of this 'fine' over the phone but even my in-laws weren't stupid enough to fall for that.
  • Also get a recorded message with a woman with an American accent, again about my internet service but doesn't mention which ISP she's calling about.

The last sentence she says 'To free up this problem press 1, I've never done that as I'm sure it leads to more issues.
  • Rizzo said:

The in-laws had one the other day claiming to be from HMRC saying there were problems with their taxes and they were being fined. They tried to get payment of this 'fine' over the phone but even my in-laws weren't stupid enough to fall for that.

My mother in law had a call similar to this. Seems they are targeting older folk. Wonder how they get the profile details?

• Sponsored links:

• Got some "Pharmacy" trying to call me the other day about my repeat perscription, for a small fee I could save collecting it from them I could instead get it delivered on a monthly basis etc. or whenever I needed it
  • Keep getting the same gentleman from a far away land pretending to be from EDF calling us at work. Thought it would be funny putting him through to the old boy accountant who can talk for days. Needed something from his office 5 minutes later and he's reeling off account numbers and balances ffs!
  • The annoying thing is, my telephone is ex-directory, so how do they get my name and number?, simple, some companies sell the information and do not care who to
  • When I get one of those calls, I start singing The Lumberjack song, making up the words as I go along
  • There is an absolute belter on YouTube. A recording of an ambulance chasing lawyer with a sub continental accent. The bloke pretends that he got decapitated and they sewed his head back on again. It’s hilarios
  • edited October 2018
    ross1 said:

The annoying thing is, my telephone is ex-directory, so how do they get my name and number?, simple, some companies sell the information and do not care who to

And some lose it through cynical incompetence, like Equifux lost mine, and I've never had any direct dealings with Equifux.

This beggars belief: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equifax#Security_failings
  • Just be polite and tell them to F**k off 👍
  • ross1 said:

Had a phone call today, (number withheld), from a female saying she was from British Gas and asking for me or my wife by name. She then proceeded to tell me my guarantee on my new boiler runs out this month, (my guarantee run out 2 years ago), and my new subscription runs out on November 23 (I do not have one). She then quoted me a new monthly or annual fee. If you get a call like this, be warned, British Gas do NOT phone you, they only send a letter unless you phone them first and arrange a call back.

Yes had that one a few times and even said 'You rang me yesterday, as I recognise your voice!' Phone down quickly.
    My 85 year old, hard of hearing Mum ended up having two lots of cover for her old dishwasher because of calls like these! I hate that this is actually a 'job' that people do!
  • Sponsored links:

• ross1 said:

Yes had that one a few times and even said 'You rang me yesterday, as I recognise your voice!' Phone down quickly.
    My 85 year old, hard of hearing Mum ended up having two lots of cover for her old dishwasher because of calls like these! I hate that this is actually a 'job' that people do!
    Just imagine if you found out one of your family or relatives did that for a living....be a hard one to deal with.

• There is a massive amount of fraud committed via the telephone against the elderly and vulnerable. How anyone can do this is beyond me?

Utter scum who perpetrate this.

• There is a massive amount of fraud committed via the telephone against the elderly and vulnerable. How anyone can do this is beyond me?

Utter scum who perpetrate this.

If anyone’s interested there’s a really great podcast on this. It’s call “Long Distance” by Reply All. There’s an article on it here: https://www.wired.com/story/reply-all-phone-scammers/
  • We had about 3 scam calls a day from various companies, Then BT emailed me with details of there free anti nuisance call system, thought well it’s free why not, took it up and we have only one call since in over a month. It’s based on people like us ringing a number (believe it’s 1472) immediately after we receive a scam call, that number is logged and added to the blocking black list. Works well for me, but I believe it’s only available to BT land line, but no doubt there’s others available.
  • edited October 2018

We had about 3 scam calls a day from various companies, Then BT emailed me with details of there free anti nuisance call system, thought well it’s free why not, took it up and we have only one call since in over a month. It’s based on people like us ringing a number (believe it’s 1472) immediately after we receive a scam call, that number is logged and added to the blocking black list. Works well for me, but I believe it’s only available to BT land line, but no doubt there’s others available.

The trouble is that some types of scammers now spoof the phone numbers of real people. Just hope you're not on the receiving end of that little trick.
  • We had about 3 scam calls a day from various companies, Then BT emailed me with details of there free anti nuisance call system, thought well it’s free why not, took it up and we have only one call since in over a month. It’s based on people like us ringing a number (believe it’s 1472) immediately after we receive a scam call, that number is logged and added to the blocking black list. Works well for me, but I believe it’s only available to BT land line, but no doubt there’s others available.

The trouble is that some types of scammers now spoof the phone numbers of real people. Just hope you're not on the receiving end of that little trick.
    That’s the one that got through, it was a real number, but not from a number I knew or was in my contact list, so was safe to block it. Well hope it was😀.
  • edited October 2018

We had about 3 scam calls a day from various companies, Then BT emailed me with details of there free anti nuisance call system, thought well it’s free why not, took it up and we have only one call since in over a month. It’s based on people like us ringing a number (believe it’s 1472) immediately after we receive a scam call, that number is logged and added to the blocking black list. Works well for me, but I believe it’s only available to BT land line, but no doubt there’s others available.

That’s the one that got through, it was a real number, but not from a number I knew or was in my contact list, so was safe to block it. Well hope it was😀.
    Yeah, as you probably realise, I meant "hope that it's never your number that gets stolen, used by scummy call centres and worse as if it was their own and then blacklisted". In spite of the blacklisting, you would also find yourself getting possibly hundreds of calls a day for a while from people returning a call logged on their equipment.
  • not a scam but bg related. 

they decided to cut my electricity and gas off at 9.38am this morning as my neighbour who is switching accounts accidentally put my door number in. 

after a grumble i still have no gas and the meter is now broken through no fault of my own, and of course i cannot speak to anyone as there offices shut at 5 even though at 2.30 i was told i would have an engineer here by 4.30

cnuts of the highest order i am over a barrell as have no hot water or heating. 
  • I'm amazed and disappointed that there has not been a single. "Have you got an old boiler?" joke.