Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Cricket Tours 2018-19 (and everything off the field during that period)

Comments

• The irony is that we have played three spinners but it is the seamers that have caused the problems on this track.
  • The irony is that we have played three spinners but it is the seamers that have caused the problems on this track.

I don't understand why they pick Dawson, I would rather a left arm seemer. Maybe because I don't think Dawson is a considerably better bowler then Root.
  • Cafc43v3r said:

I always said Woakes can't take wickets outside of England :tongue:

Indeed - Woakes gets his 3rd wicket.

31-4
  • Cafc43v3r said:

Anyone got any pie, humble variety?
  • Cafc43v3r said:

Cafc43v3r said:

Anyone got any pie, humble variety?
    To be fair - this wicket supports seamers who bowl in the right area which is just short of a length and not the driveable length that Woakes would ordinarily bowl at home. Whether bowling that length in Australia and/or South Africa would work is another thing.

The other thing that has to be said is that the Sri Lankan batting line up is really poor.
  • Riviera said:

Sri Lanka moved the dates of this tour from the original schedule. Why they moved it to the monsoon season is very odd. Maybe they were just scared of Liam Plunkett...

Is it true it was Sri Lanka's decision? Before I heard your comment I had just assumed it was ours as we start our WI tour in January. ( I do emphasise assumed!)
  • Stones (4-0-7-1) is taken off for Dawson. Given that the game is all but won I would have liked to see Stones bowl a 6 or even 7 over stint but I think that they are mindful of any potential rain and want to get the 20 overs required in.

38-4 off 10 and no Sri Lankan batsman in double figures as yet.
  • Moeen on at the other end as the groundsmen assume their positions in the boundary.
  • Stones (4-0-7-1) is taken off for Dawson. Given that the game is all but won I would have liked to see Stones bowl a 6 or even 7 over stint but I think that they are mindful of any potential rain and want to get the 20 overs required in.

38-4 off 10 and no Sri Lankan batsman in double figures as yet.

2 spinners on and ground staff ready, looks like they do want to rattle through this. Still got 10 overs to bowl.
  • They've played through the drizzle and reached the 20 over mark at 95-5 so there will be a result whatever happens.
  • Sponsored links:

• Threatening black cloud, 18 overs gone, 20 needed for a "result" and the umpires took a drinks break. Pathetic.
  • edited October 2018
    redman said:

Riviera said:

Sri Lanka moved the dates of this tour from the original schedule. Why they moved it to the monsoon season is very odd. Maybe they were just scared of Liam Plunkett...

Is it true it was Sri Lanka's decision? Before I heard your comment I had just assumed it was ours as we start our WI tour in January. ( I do emphasise assumed!)
    It was Sri Lanka's decision. Liam Plunkett, who is a regular in our ODI squad, booked his wedding around the original tour date.
  • edited October 2018
    England won by 31 runs on Duckworth Lewis.

Sri Lanka ended on 140-5 from 29 overs
  • Riviera said:

redman said:

Riviera said:

It was Sri Lanka's decision. Liam Plunkett, who is a regular in our ODI squad, booked his wedding around the original tour date.
    Ok thanks. Shows how easy it is yo jump to the wrong assumption sometimes.
  • redman said:

Riviera said:

redman said:

Riviera said:

Ok thanks. Shows how easy it is yo jump to the wrong assumption sometimes.
    I think it's the first time it's happened on here though...
  • Riviera said:

redman said:

Riviera said:

I hadn't realised that the clash was caused by the dates being changed. It does seem very soon after the end of our season, though handy for the Sri Lankans as they've just played the Asia cup, so I can see why they've done it

• Riviera said:

redman said:

Riviera said:

I hadn't realised that the clash was caused by the dates being changed. It does seem very soon after the end of our season, though handy for the Sri Lankans as they've just played the Asia cup, so I can see why they've done it

Not much good to anyone if they keep having matches not running their full course or even being abandoned without a ball being bowled.
  • I feel sorry for the English supporters that have travelled over there.
  • Toss delayed to, yes you guessed it, rain!
  • Sponsored links:

• Denly is four and a half hours drive away at the moment so won't be playing today.
  • You should enjoy Australia losing instead
  • I hope Sri Lanka havent spent the gate money already for this series !!!

are wee playing at this time of year because Sri Lanka wanted to, or because we insisted this is the only timeframe we have ?
  • MrOneLung said:

I hope Sri Lanka havent spent the gate money already for this series !!!

are wee playing at this time of year because Sri Lanka wanted to, or because we insisted this is the only timeframe we have ?

As stated earlier this was Sri Lanka's decision to play the ODI series now. They brought it forward from its original date. No idea why as the monsoon season is pretty reliable.
  • Are we ever going to get a full game on this Sri Lankan tour? It has been raining off and on in the last few days there.
  • I am going to the first test in Galle at beginning of November. Seemed a good idea at the time of booking.
  • What a joke, We were in Sri Lanka this year in February on holiday, we did our research and looked up when the rainy/monsoon seasons were. Never saw a drop of rain in 17 days.
  • MrOneLung said:

According to the BBC site, its to do with the Body who organise all the fixtures. Sri Lanka have to go to NZ, OZ & then SA after our tour - first match of their tour is less than a week after ours finish.

Just stupid in my mind. Will be fun when the next tour over here starts in early March & games called off due to snow...........but it was organised because the "fixture people" think the Windies will want to see some of the white stuff (and that doesn't mean the ball)
  • Covers are just coming off now. They reckon it might take about an hour to take off the surface water.

MrOneLung said:

According to the BBC site, its to do with the Body who organise all the fixtures. Sri Lanka have to go to NZ, OZ & then SA after our tour - first match of their tour is less than a week after ours finish.

Just stupid in my mind. Will be fun when the next tour over here starts in early March & games called off due to snow...........but it was organised because the "fixture people" think the Windies will want to see some of the white stuff (and that doesn't mean the ball)
    They also now have to fit the fixture schedule around the IPL for fear of a player revolt!