Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Squad (v Republic of Ireland/Belgium/Iceland from p29)

Comments

• Sancho has been on pretty much every media outlet over the last week or so. He currently has the most assists of any player in Europes top 6 leagues.
  • edited October 2018
    Would’ve been criminal if Sancho hadn’t been called up. The guy has been absolutely on fire for Dortmund.

Similarly Maddison for Leicester.

Mount seems a strange one but I haven’t been following the Championship as closely.
  • edited October 2018

At least four of those players i’ve never even heard of.

Who???
    Five actually

McCarthy
    Mount
    Sancho
    Chalobah
    Bettinelli
    McCarthy - Southampton no.1 keeper this season, has tonnes of PL appearances

Mount - influential midfielder for Derby on loan from Chelsea, was one of the best players in Eredivisie last season playing against Ajax, PSV etc.

Sancho - already integral to Dortmund at age 18

Chalobah - bounced around a few clubs on loan from Chelsea, bought by Watford recently. Has 40 caps for U21s.

Bettinelli - Fulham no.1 keeper for last few years
  • edited October 2018
  • Think Sancho, Maddison and Mount are all decent call ups - will all go on to be top pros.

Not convinced by Bettinelli, Mccarthy and Chalobah.
  • At least four of those players i’ve never even heard of.

Who???
    Five actually

McCarthy
    Mount
    Sancho
    Chalobah
    Bettinelli
    McCarthy - Southampton no.1 keeper this season, has tonnes of PL appearances

Mount - influential midfielder for Derby on loan from Chelsea, was one of the best players in Eredivisie last season playing against Ajax, PSV etc.

Sancho - already integral to Dortmund at age 18

Chalobah - bounced around a few clubs on loan from Chelsea, bought by Watford recently. Has 40 caps for U21s.

Bettinelli - Fulham no.1 keeper for last few years

Just goes to show how much notice i take of the premier league ( or German) football nowadays.
  • Would’ve been criminal if Sancho hadn’t been called up. The guy has been absolutely on fire for Dortmund.

Similarly Maddison for Leicester.

Mount seems a strange one but I haven’t been following the Championship as closely.

Mount isnt a surprise seeing he was one of the key reasons that Derby beat Man Utd
  • Mount was on fire last season at Vitesse. Think i read he's been directly involved in 17 goals in his last 18 games.
  • edited October 2018
    Sancho was a no brainier, he might only be 18 years old but he is class. I wouldn’t be surprised if he wins either the league or champions league this season.

No reason he won’t go on to make 100+ caps.
  • Wonder why still no Foden.

Foden is the best teenage footballer in England. Bizarre unless injured this week ?
  • Sponsored links:

• What’s happened to Sessegnon ? It wasn’t long ago people were saying he was the future of English football. Is he injured?
  • What’s happened to Sessegnon ? It wasn’t long ago people were saying he was the future of English football. Is he injured?

Think its got alot to do with the fact that he has had his chance in the prem(albit it only 7 games) but he hasnt really done much to inpress
  • Danny Wellbeck is the new James Milner.

Managers love him because he is verstaile, reliable, and will do a job for the team.

Fans dislike him because he is unspectacular and a bit of a dull choice.

He has a better record for England than he's often given credit for though (h ewould have scored vs Spain but for some poor refereeing).
  • Fulham in general appear to have struggled since returning to the Premier League

Was expecting better from them so far
  • edited October 2018

Wonder why still no Foden.

Foden is the best teenage footballer in England. Bizarre unless injured this week ?
    Shielding him a bit maybe? With the young players coming through, England have a genuine chance of winning something over the next decade, but, just like blooding youngsters at club level, there is a balance to be struck between giving them experience early and over exposing them to the pressures of men's football. Pressures which increase 10 fold in an England shirt.

There are some exciting players coming through, but I think it's really important that we are patient with them to avoid ruining them before they get a chance to reach their undoubted potential.

And I know it's a product of the limited number of English players of quality, but the old fart in me does thinks it should take more than a handful of games in your teens to get a call up to the Senior England squad.
  • The message to Foden from Southgate is go out on loan from Man City if you want to make the England squad.
  • edited October 2018
    Not sure what the criteria is now for picking players, is it to win matches now or is it trying out younger players and looking towards 2020 and 2022?

For example I struggle to see why Joe Hart isn't in the squad, while the likes of Bettinelli and McCarthy are? Hart has been in top form this season, indeed Burnley's best player during their bad patch

Chalobah in who's hardly played, but not Will Hughes who's been excellent this season, and is only 23 (and has loads of U21 appearances for England)

Barkley included but not Loftus-Cheek
  • Danny Wellbeck is the new James Milner.

Managers love him because he is verstaile, reliable, and will do a job for the team.

He has a better record for England than he's often given credit for though (h ewould have scored vs Spain but for some poor refereeing).

Wooooahhhh there, Welbeck should never be placed in the same bracket as super James Milner.

Southgate should be begging him to come out of his England retirement, he’s exactly what we lack in Midfield. 10 times the player of Eric Dier.
    Hey, I was a fan of Milner too, although he's having his best season for quite a while, possibly ever, so perceptions of him have changed a bit this year.

When he was playing for England, a lot of fans didn't think he should be picked though, but managers kept doing it for similar reasons to why they pick Wellbeck.
  • Probably not a popular opinion but i think it's crazy we've called up Sancho and Mount so soon. Absolutely no doubt they're going to be amazing players and i think both of them (along with Foden and Hudson-Odoi) will be part of our team for the next 10-12 years but lets be real here.

Sancho has started SEVEN bundesliga games in 15 months. He hasn't started one at all this season. So 7 senior league starts is now enough to get you an England call up. It's far too soon. Yes he's been a great impact sub and creating assists late in games but in my opinion he should be turning out for the U21s first.

Mount is slightly different in that he had a full season of top flight experience with Vitesse last year but he's now playing in the championship. I don't see how he can be deemed worthy of an England call up based on that. He's not a better player than Foden, so if you're calling Mount up, then how are you not calling up Foden?

I personally think all 3 should be in the U21s. If they were Spanish or German they'd be in the U21s for at least the next 2 years.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited October 2018

Probably not a popular opinion but i think it's crazy we've called up Sancho and Mount so soon. Absolutely no doubt they're going to be amazing players and i think both of them (along with Foden and Hudson-Odoi) will be part of our team for the next 10-12 years but lets be real here.

Sancho has started SEVEN bundesliga games in 15 months. He hasn't started one at all this season. So 7 senior league starts is now enough to get you an England call up. It's far too soon. Yes he's been a great impact sub and creating assists late in games but in my opinion he should be turning out for the U21s first.

Mount is slightly different in that he had a full season of top flight experience with Vitesse last year but he's now playing in the championship. I don't see how he can be deemed worthy of an England call up based on that. He's not a better player than Foden, so if you're calling Mount up, then how are you not calling up Foden?

I personally think all 3 should be in the U21s. If they were Spanish or German they'd be in the U21s for at least the next 2 years.

As someone who watches Dortmund pretty much every week, he's been brilliant when coming on as a sub. And honestly, he's been pretty unlucky not to start more. Wolf has been picked ahead of him because of his defensive abilities and tactical discipline, but Sancho is a fantastic impact player in an England team desperately lacking in impact players coming off the bench.

Danny Wellbeck is the new James Milner.

Wooooahhhh there, Welbeck should never be placed in the same bracket as super James Milner.

Southgate should be begging him to come out of his England retirement, he’s exactly what we lack in Midfield. 10 times the player of Eric Dier.
    I think Milner is a player who looks better the higher the quality of player around him is. Unfortunately, England don't have the attacking talents that Liverpool do. As such, his role as a solid water carrier is already fulfilled by Henderson and Dier, both of whom are significantly younger which matters with a tournament almost two years away. I don't think Milner is what England are missing by any stretch. I think England are missing creativity and the ability to retain possession in central midfield.
  • Probably not a popular opinion but i think it's crazy we've called up Sancho and Mount so soon. Absolutely no doubt they're going to be amazing players and i think both of them (along with Foden and Hudson-Odoi) will be part of our team for the next 10-12 years but lets be real here.

I agree with you that they may have been called up a little too early, but it is still great experience for them to be amongst the senior team even if they don’t play.

Sancho for example is going to be a very good player and it is exciting, but he did start in the Champions League on Wednesday, played 84 minutes and set up another goal to keep his form going.

I do think that Mount and Sancho could be best used for the U21s but a call up to get used to the surroundings isn’t going to do any harm. A little exposure is good.

Foden could be special but he needs to start to play more regularly now. I wouldn’t be surprised if Man City decide to let him go on loan in January, a few months away in another first team could help him massively going into next season where we could see Guardiola really make him into a top, top young player.
  • Sage said:

Probably not a popular opinion but i think it's crazy we've called up Sancho and Mount so soon. Absolutely no doubt they're going to be amazing players and i think both of them (along with Foden and Hudson-Odoi) will be part of our team for the next 10-12 years but lets be real here.

I agree with you that they may have been called up a little too early, but it is still great experience for them to be amongst the senior team even if they don’t play.

Sancho for example is going to be a very good player and it is exciting, but he did start in the Champions League on Wednesday, played 84 minutes and set up another goal to keep his form going.

I do think that Mount and Sancho could be best used for the U21s but a call up to get used to the surroundings isn’t going to do any harm. A little exposure is good.

Foden could be special but he needs to start to play more regularly now. I wouldn’t be surprised if Man City decide to let him go on loan in January, a few months away in another first team could help him massively going into next season where we could see Guardiola really make him into a top, top young player.
    Half a season down the Valley and he'll be a world beater
  • no Ben Chilwell .. in better form than Luke Shaw
  • Phil Foden got called up to the U21s I saw the other day - Bet he wont be at that level for long, personally believe the United States friendly in November would be a good game to test the kids to see if they're ready
  • Luke Shaw out injured, Lewis Dunk to replace him.
  • Luke Shaw out injured, Lewis Dunk to replace him.

Odd but then again we play with three Centre-Backs rather than as a flat 4-4-2
  • edited October 2018
    Ben Chilwell now in to apparently replace Shaw.

So who was Dunk replacing then?
  • Ross said:

Ben Chilwell now in to apparently replace Shaw.

So who was Dunk replacing then?

Tarkowski
  • I think Sancho is eligible for Trinidad and Tobago, and the Germans haven’t been averse to picking players who qualify through residency. I doubt it’s the reason but remember that the Nations League counts as a competitive fixture so if he does get on the pitch, he can’t change nationality....

Jay daSilva in the u21s for the first time too which hasn’t been mentioned yet