Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Jose Mourinho - Like Or Loathe? (Pg 13, sacked Man U)

Comments

• He's not going to turn things around.

Problem is who else is available? I know Zidane did a good job at Real but no idea how well he could do without the players he inherited there.

They need a Klopp/Poch/Sarri type - someone who plays quick, forward thinking and progressive football.

Could Poch leave Spurs? I'm not so sure he would.

• At the press conference yesterday he said the first goal was offside the second was an own goal and the third was a foul. Completely ignored the fact that Utd were crap for 90 minutes.
  • At the press conference yesterday he said the first goal was offside the second was an own goal and the third was a foul. Completely ignored the fact that Utd were crap for 90 minutes.

I loved that, his exact words were
    1st goal linesman fault
    2nd goal was an own goal
    3rd goal was referees fault.

When I heard that I was like, so it wasnt your teans fault for playing bad, or your fault for your squad selection
  • They all do it> Team plays bad and loses its not their fault. Team plays well and wins, its their brilliant management.
  • He's not going to turn things around.

Problem is who else is available? I know Zidane did a good job at Real but no idea how well he could do without the players he inherited there.

They need a Klopp/Poch/Sarri type - someone who plays quick, forward thinking and progressive football.

Could Poch leave Spurs? I'm not so sure he would.

Zidane is a modern manager in that he would be in place for 2-4 years and make the most of a squad built by the director of football (or equivalent). That's not how United are currently set up. Ed Woodward is kind of straddling both approaches currently, although I gather the club are trying to change to the 'continental' approach. If so, if they appoint a quality DoF, then I can see Zidane taking the job.

And failing.

• It astonishes me that anyone would even think of Zidane as a candidate for the United job.

Yes he won three CL’s with Real, and you have to congratulate him on that, but seriously for the big European games, that team would probably have run itself.

The Manchester United job is as big as it comes, and if Mourinho does go imminently , then they are going to need to bring in an experienced guy for the rest of the season, to try and salvage something from what is becoming a disastrous period – maybe someone like Laurent Blanc who has played at the club.

Longer term it is hard to see where United can turn, they have tried a young British manager in Moyes, and he was discarded, then went for the vast of experience of Van Gaal and he was sacked, before going for the ‘guaranteed success’ of Mourinho, only to find that the guy on the other side of town had a little success of his own guaranteed.

Part of the problem is that when you look at whom may be available in terms of the top tier managers, candidates like Zidane, Simeone and even Allegri, all speak little or no English, which for a club with the amount of media interest that United generate is going to become a massive issue very quickly.
  • edited October 2018
    I think they should stick with Mourinho. There are a few managers out there with better records, but they are not available. His record suggests he knows what he is doing. He is arrogant and abrasive, but always has been. Whether we like him or loathe him is irrelevant.
  • Get rid of Pogba / Sanchez, keep Mourinho and stop trying to be clever with the videos they put of players signing... Dont have the likes of Sanchez playing a piano and dont have Stormzy introducing Pogba, its making them think they're bigger than they are

The Manager isnt the problem for me rather than the over paid prats at that club
  • Sponsored links:

• Get rid of Pogba / Sanchez, keep Mourinho and stop trying to be clever with the videos they put of players signing... Dont have the likes of Sanchez playing a piano and dont have Stormzy introducing Pogba, its making them think they're bigger than they are

The Manager isnt the problem for me rather than the over paid prats at that club

Reading that made me wonder, is it possible to make as much money as they do via Ed Woodward's approach while being successful on the pitch? The players they sign are well-suited to those bullshit videos. Signing flashy man-children to entertain the kids. They are not the players with the drive or determination to succeed, it seems.

I don't pay much attention to that stuff, so I don't know if other clubs are quite so prolific with their media crap? Either way, United don't seem to be signing players with heart.

• JiMMy 85 said:

Get rid of Pogba / Sanchez, keep Mourinho and stop trying to be clever with the videos they put of players signing... Dont have the likes of Sanchez playing a piano and dont have Stormzy introducing Pogba, its making them think they're bigger than they are

Reading that made me wonder, is it possible to make as much money as they do via Ed Woodward's approach while being successful on the pitch? The players they sign are well-suited to those bullshit videos. Signing flashy man-children to entertain the kids. They are not the players with the drive or determination to succeed, it seems.

I don't pay much attention to that stuff, so I don't know if other clubs are quite so prolific with their media crap? Either way, United don't seem to be signing players with heart.

Its almost like they're copying the Charlton approach under Roland and Katrien just at a higher level

Oh that player is supposed to be the best in his position... We'll sign him but we wont consider if he's the right fit for the team etc.

Thats how Ferguson did so well... He signed players that were good enough and a perfect fit for United, had anyone heard of Patrice Evra or Nemanja Vidic prior to them signing... I even remember their debuts against Man City and thought they were both duds yet both were excellent signings from Ferguson in the end

Now though they just seem lazy and dont want to try and unearth someone
  • edited October 2018

Get rid of Pogba / Sanchez, keep Mourinho and stop trying to be clever with the videos they put of players signing... Dont have the likes of Sanchez playing a piano and dont have Stormzy introducing Pogba, its making them think they're bigger than they are

Gotta say I disagree, yes we all know they are overpaid but Jose needs to take alot of the responsibility.

Look at Sanchez at Barca and at Arsenal now look at him at United.

Look at Pogba at Juventus and with France now look at him at United.

Mourinho publicly says things he shouldnt about players, how will Phil Jones and Eric Bailey have felt going into training after his comments.

I am telling you know, u get a manager in who doesnt think he is bigger thsn everyone there and respects the players u will see a different Pogba, a different Sanchez
    Sanchez granted has gone downhill yet have never rated Paul Pogba, he joined Man Utd shortly after Mourinho and has never shown a sign of being a player who could control a game or potentially win the Ballon D'Or

Partly wonder for him though if he's just not suited to the English game or even the setup that Mourinho prefers (i.e. my previous comment about Man Utd more interested in buying names these days rather than an actual squad)
  • Football at the very pinnacle has moved on in recent years. Playing and pressing high up the pitch is where the best teams and coaches are at. I don’t think Jose has made the transition. There I think is half the problem at least.
  • Football at the very pinnacle has moved on in recent years. Playing and pressing high up the pitch is where the best teams and coaches are at. I don’t think Jose has made the transition. There I think is half the problem at least.

Could well be... As well with Mourinho I've wondered for a few years now if he's struggling like Wenger; Football seems to evolve every few years yet those two seem to struggle to adapt when it changes (Ferguson being the opposite)

Makes you wonder if Guardiola will be similar when / if someone works out how to deal with his style of the game

Its certainly what seperates the Greats from the World Class Managers
  • edited October 2018
    For such a stubborn man at times (the BBC boycott etc), Ferguson was great at changing (he moved from always playing 442 to a 451/433) and taking advice on board from assistants etc - I think Quieroz was largely responsible for the system around the Rooney/Tevez/Ronaldo years, for example.

Mourinho seems more unable to change or adapt his tactics.
  • Successful English teams generally still need a dominant figure, someone who runs the club in their image. Obviously they're not doing it all, but people like Pep, Poch and Klopp aren't just coaching the first team, they'll have a key input into transfers, the dressing room design, the academy etc

Chelsea might be the exception, but their model of short term managers have led to wild fluctations in their success

Can someone like Zidane run the club as well as the first team? I'm not so sure
  • Watched bits of the UTD game this morning, and can’t believe how impotent they are at home.

I know that JM needs to take his share of the blame on this one, but he has been badly let down by the likes of Sanchez and Pogba, he brought them both in, but neither of them have really done anything to justify such a large fee or wages.

Pogba has been discussed at length on here, but I just can’t see why he is so fawned over – totally overrated , and Sanchez to me looks like a guy that has well and truly run his race – no pace, no spark and no goals sums him up perfectly.

I feel a bit for Lukaku, as for Belgium he has DeBruyne and Hazard playing behind him, and getting high quality service, for United there isn’t anyone that can really pass the ball playing behind him, so he gets frustrated.

With Rashford, he looks like a little boy lost playing wide, and at the moment it doesn’t really look like that he is going to become the player we had all hoped.

As for players like Anthony Martial and Fellaini, these guys would have got nowhere near the UTD teams of the past, they are miles short of the quality needed.
  • Watched bits of the UTD game this morning, and can’t believe how impotent they are at home.

I know that JM needs to take his share of the blame on this one, but he has been badly let down by the likes of Sanchez and Pogba, he brought them both in, but neither of them have really done anything to justify such a large fee or wages.

Pogba has been discussed at length on here, but I just can’t see why he is so fawned over – totally overrated , and Sanchez to me looks like a guy that has well and truly run his race – no pace, no spark and no goals sums him up perfectly.

I feel a bit for Lukaku, as for Belgium he has DeBruyne and Hazard playing behind him, and getting high quality service, for United there isn’t anyone that can really pass the ball playing behind him, so he gets frustrated.

With Rashford, he looks like a little boy lost playing wide, and at the moment it doesn’t really look like that he is going to become the player we had all hoped.

As for players like Anthony Martial and Fellaini, these guys would have got nowhere near the UTD teams of the past, they are miles short of the quality needed.

Excellent post.

In addition though I would point out that JM seems to be playing the same system he had at Chelsea despite not having the players to play it!

The 4-3-2-1 formation with the two playing wide attacker roles has to have the right personnel or it just ends up like a 4-5-1.

At Chelsea he had Drogba as his CF who was more mobile than Lukaku although the latter is a better goal-scorer, you can call that a draw.

It is the wide area that the biggest difference lies though, at Chelsea Duff and Robben were tailor-made for those roles and could switch wings, score goals, get behind people, put crosses in for Drogba etc.

At United they really don't have any proper wingers, just strikers that are shunted out wide like Rashford or Martial or Sanchez.

Same for midfield, Chelsea had a certain Frank Lampard who had a great all-round game and could score 20 goals per season - United have Pogba who is a better footballer but doesn't score the goals Lampard did which is hugely important.

I think you should have a system that suits the players you have - this is what Klopp does so well - but Jose seems to be doing it the other way around.
  • Sponsored links:

• A lot of sense there.

I just don't get the constant singling out of his own players. Good management is surely about building up their self confidence, not telling them IN PUBLIC AND BY NAME they are rubbish

It might be boring, but that's why top managers blame bad luck, referees, the grey kit etc, it's to put in the mind of their players that the bad result was a blip caused by temporary external factors

You can tell I went to a presentation on this the other day :smile:
  • More stories in today's papers about player dissatisfaction with him. Today's press conference brought forward...
  • Players are paid a lot of money there. They ought to play for their manager whoever he is and shut up.
  • The game against Newcastle this weekend could be one of the worst football games in the Prem this season

Benitez is in siege mode up at Newcastle and Mourinho’s brand of football is diabolical
  • Rumoured to be sacked tomorrow irrespective of the result
  • Rumoured to be sacked tomorrow irrespective of the result

Gary Neville not happy with this. Gary has been at MU for 34 years so very passionate. If it’s true or if it isn’t , quite frankly I don’t care...
  • BR3red said:

Rumoured to be sacked tomorrow irrespective of the result

Gary Neville not happy with this. Gary has been at MU for 34 years so very passionate. If it’s true or if it isn’t , quite frankly I don’t care...
    Not quite he joined at 16.
    And hasnt been there since 2011 unless he has done coaching but with his old role at England and Valencia and now skysports I dont think he has coached united

He is 43 and was at united for 20 years