Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Luton v Charlton | Sat 29 Sept | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Luton Town v Charlton Athletic
Saturday 29th September 2018 … 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Antony Coggins

Introduction

Charlton return to the road this Weekend with two tough away trips coming up in quick succession… Coming off the back of a fourth win in a row, the Addicks would once again be forced to get the three points the hard way, after conceding first, two Karlan Grant goals would keep up our strong momentum and so mark us as a dangerous team to be facing in current weeks.

The first of our games on the road is the short trip around the M25 (and up the M1) to face newly promoted Luton Town – It’s a welcome reunion for the Luton Manager and half the Charlton squad who’ll be well aware of what our young squad can do!!

The Opposition
Name: Luton Town | Manager: Nathan Jones
Ground: Kenilworth Road

It always ranks among lower league fans to hear the troubles within the top six clubs yet for Luton Town fans that must rank that little bit more – Famous for being deducted an enormous thirty points before their 2008/09 season started, the penalty would all but relegate the Hatters to the Conference and so begin the long slog back to the Football League… Yet after four years in each of the Conference and League Two, the Hatters have returned to England’s third tier, nor should it be long till their battling to return to the second tier.

The latest man hired to manage that feat is well known around the Valley… Joining in 2012; Nathan Jones would only spend a year as our U21 coach yet in that time would see the likes of Nick Pope and Joe Gomez progressing through the ranks – As a Manager he’s a man who gets results and deservedly led Luton to a second place finish last time out… Indeed the fact that only Arsenal, Sheffield United and Tottenham have won more games since Jones took over means that getting any result in Bedfordshire will be a tough ask this weekend.

Managers Notes: Nathan Jones this week has bemoaned the fact that Striker: Danny Hylton remains injured after missing the last four games… Although back in training, Jones has admitted that there isnt a definite answer on when the Striker will return – Jones added that Luton have a few back this week so will be a lot stronger, without being disrespectful, we had a very youthful, very inexperienced bench at Blackpool.

Charlton Team News
And so the welcome headache for Lee Bowyer slowly begins … Much has been made this season about the number of injuries within the Charlton ranks yet that number is currently down to just three with Krystian Bielik, Billy Clarke and Patrick Bauer missing this weekend

This Weekend will see Tariqe Fosu once again available after his three match suspension yet with a lack of minutes under his belt you’d expect him to take the place of Mark Marshall on the bench. In addition; Darren Pratley will be adding to a crowded midfield, due to recent form in that area, you’d expect another place to be occupied on the bench, at least until Tuesday night

Steer
Solly | Pearce | Sarr | Page
Aribo | Cullen | Reeves
Ward
Grant | Taylor

Substitutes Bench: Phillips | Dijksteel | Lapslie | Pratley | Fosu | Vetokele | Ajose

Prediction
Charlton’s win against Plymouth would see them breaking into the Play-Offs for the first time this season and Lee Bowyer will no doubt want his side to stay there… The Addicks are developing the attitude of a side that is tough to beat this season – Kenilworth Road will be a tough place to visit for any side (Luton are yet to lose at home this season), yet some has to win there eventually, why not us?

Comments

• Robin scored in the rugby last night. Clear sign, Charlton win.

• edited September 2018
    Bench looks strong and still players missing! I think we’ll see Fosu, Pratley and possibly Dijksteel and Lapslie start on Tuesday to rest a few legs.

Tight game tomorrow they don’t lose many at home and the bookies fancy them, which is strange to see us just shy of 3/1 but I’ll always side with the notion that they know something we don’t. Torn between 1-1 and 0-1 but it’s a good time to be positive.

0-1 Fosu from the bench.
  • Will be a tough one to win, but I'm going for a 1-2 win for Charlton! I see they've just signed Lua Lua who could do us some damage (if fit).
  • Game of two halfs 0:0
  • Comfortable away win 4-0.
  • I predicted before the Southend game that we would win five on the spin.
    Four down and one to go.
    With players returning to full fitness Bowyer at last has selection problems of the right sort.
    3.1 Charlton and our winning streak continue 's.
  • 1-1, a good point on the road.
  • edited September 2018
    Nathan Jones has done a great job at Luton, but it has to be remembered that they aren't a small club, and L2 or lower was never their natural level. If they had a decent ground, they'd be getting good crowds, but that's a never ending saga

On some ways the fixture computer got this game and the Scunthorpe one back to front, it might have made sense to have Scunthorpe on the Saturday and Luton midweek...

I've only ever seen us lose from that horrible away end (two 1-0 defeats in 1993) but think we'll draw this time, with a chance of all 3 points
  • Nathan Jones has done a great job at Luton, but it has to be remembered that they aren't a small club, and L2 or lower was never their natural level. If they had a decent ground, they'd be getting good crowds, but that's a never ending saga

On some ways the fixture computer got this game and the Scunthorpe one back to front, it might have made sense to have Scunthorpe on the Saturday and Luton midweek...

I've only ever seen us lose from that horrible away end (two 1-0 defeats in 1993) but think we'll draw this time, with a chance of all 3 points

Yeah historically you could argue that Sunderland / Barnsley / Charlton / Bradford / Luton / Portsmouth / Coventry should all be a league higher

Just a shame it dont work that way
  • Sponsored links:

• Be handy if they are playing Peterborough tonight
  • Sunderland two leagues higher.
  • Tight game 1-1.
  • 2 - 1 Charlton , Taylor & Pearce.
  • Suspect a kick in the nads here, in true Charlton stylie...

2-1 to the Hatters.
  • Luton like to attack so should be an open game. Would be pleasantly surprised if we keep a clean sheet but can see both teams scoring. If we don't win a score draw would not be a bad result.
  • One of Robert Lee's sons scores from a Lua Lua cross but it's not enough as we run out 2 - 1 winners Aribo and Grant
  • Defence not good enough so I fear two losses on the road this week
  • Sponsored links:

• edited September 2018

One of Robert Lee's sons scores from a Lua Lua cross but it's not enough as we run out 2 - 1 winners Aribo and Grant

Forgot Luton had the two sons of that Rob Lee who played for Newcastle, West Ham and Derby
    Yes, Charlton airbrushed from history: barely mentioned in his autobiography. But we shall remind him of our existence tomorrow at Luton: 2-1 away win.

• One of Robert Lee's sons scores from a Lua Lua cross but it's not enough as we run out 2 - 1 winners Aribo and Grant

Forgot Luton had the two sons of that Rob Lee who played for Newcastle, West Ham and Derby
    It was ex-turnstile operator Robert Lee that played for us. Don't know who this other fella is ..... :smile:

• I assume Rob Lee will be there tomorrow
  • would take a draw if offered now, fancy an undeserved 1-0 loss
  • edited September 2018
    Nathan Jones' view on tomorrow

http://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/956339991?-11197:833
  • I do not know how long I can keep being optimistic, let us hope for a lot longer. My hope is for a win, so I think 1-2.
  • ross1 said:

Nathan Jones' view on tomorrow

http://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/956339991?-11197:833

"They've got good players and it will be a real good test of us, our structure and where we are because there are sides that are Premiership, or ex-Premiership sides at this level, and they're one of them. it'll be a tough test, but a great test for us."

It's interesting that we are still seen in that way, considering it's 11 years since we were in the PL in 2007

It's not as Luton are a confirmed lower league side, they were a top flight side as recently as 1992, and just missed the PL era by being relegated that summer
  • 2-0 Charlton, tense first half but 2nd half subs make the difference.