Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Woolwich Ferry boats....only 2 weeks left

Comments

• never been on it but might go on Saturday to say farewell to the old boats. is there anything worth looking at on the north side? decent pub? could only see this place near by... Henley Arms. looks pleasant. image

I think it closed some time ago. Royal Standard offers entertainment for men but is fairly dodgy.
  • never been on it but might go on Saturday to say farewell to the old boats. is there anything worth looking at on the north side? decent pub? could only see this place near by... Henley Arms. looks pleasant. image

There is nothing worthy of note on the wrong side of the river.
  • Not a great deal on this side either

The landlord is a Gillingham fan, lives in the caravan.

• Oggy Red said:

never been on it but might go on Saturday to say farewell to the old boats. is there anything worth looking at on the north side? decent pub? could only see this place near by... Henley Arms. looks pleasant. image

The landlord is a Gillingham fan, lives in the caravan.

Lives in the second much smaller caravan and rents the other one out to his cousins mother who is also his sister

• Crusty54 said:

never been on it but might go on Saturday to say farewell to the old boats. is there anything worth looking at on the north side? decent pub? could only see this place near by... Henley Arms. looks pleasant. image

I think it closed some time ago. Royal Standard offers entertainment for men but is fairly dodgy.
    Extras dodgy?
  • It’s a ferry not The Black Pearl

Belay your style of speech Mr Guru, lest you’ll soon be finding yourself at the gunnels, where His Majesty’s cat awaits you and shall harshly score your poxed ridden back!
    Oggy Red said:

T_C_E said:

I'm gutted and had no idea this was happening. My mum's dad used to work at Woolwich Power Station and knew the ferrymen, he used to take me on the ferry's every week and we were allowed to watch the engines working from the engine room. Another piece of my childhood going.... I must try and get down there before the 5th.

Ffs Wally, they replaced that one ages ago. ;)
    Where did you get that pic, Ray?

That's the paddle steamer I remember when I was a little lad!

Looks like two 'squaddies' in the bow of the one astern. WW2 perhaps?
  • Crusty54 said:

msomerton said:

Well this is the third set of Ferries I will have seen, I was 5-6 years old when the old paddle ferries were retired. My mum took us on the ferry to Victoria garden North Woolwich for an afternoon out, the down stairs of the diesel ones became a bit of a necking place for young couples in the late 60`s.

Well, I can confidently confirm that it was 'necking' place in the early 70's. I used to skive off school, meet up with the girl of the day, and we just used to go backwards and forwards over the river unaware of anything else until it was time to go home.
    You have to get off after every crossing now. They count people on and off and the numbers get recorded in the ship’s records.

Ha ha! That is the act of a spoilsport... wouldn't worry me today though?
  • T_C_E said:

Crusty54 said:

msomerton said:

Well this is the third set of Ferries I will have seen, I was 5-6 years old when the old paddle ferries were retired. My mum took us on the ferry to Victoria garden North Woolwich for an afternoon out, the down stairs of the diesel ones became a bit of a necking place for young couples in the late 60`s.

Well, I can confidently confirm that it was 'necking' place in the early 70's. I used to skive off school, meet up with the girl of the day, and we just used to go backwards and forwards over the river unaware of anything else until it was time to go home.
    You have to get off after every crossing now. They count people on and off and the numbers get recorded in the ship’s records.
    Don't underestimate @Ted\'s Addicksson in the early 70s he could "get off" on every crossing, sometimes twice. ;)

Thank you SO MUCH for your confidence in me!
  • Sponsored links:

Bought my first ever pint in this pub about 45 years ago. Not sure that I’ve been there since.
  • In the early 70's when about 2-3 my mum used to take me on the ferry backwards and forwards as something to do because it was free and there wasn't a lot of money about in our house. I can recall a very tearful moment when I was playing with a little matchbox London Taxi my mum had bought me that day. Imagine how my joy turned to despair when, whilst playing on the deck the little taxi rolled along and through one of the water vents, thus dropping into the Thames.

We also used to go to an early Mcdonalds store in Woolwich i think where they had table service. We used to have a pass that allowed us to order free meals. It was signed by Bob Rae - McDonalds owner who happened to be my Grandad's boss, as he was a foreman for the company fitting out all of their stores in London.
  • Got the ferry today, fancied some nostalgia. I love to romanticise about how me and my best friend used to dick about on the ferry as kids (late 80s)
    It was exactly how I remembered it, only a lot smaller and time wise shorter. These are some of the last active relics of days gone by in the area.
    Take a final ride on one of the grubby boats and wave goodbye. Realistically, I think we are fortunate that the ferry hasn't been ditched all together.

There is sod all in North Woolwich/Newham for those on the ride.
  • bobmunro said:

Snap on both of those!! The other teacher I remember there was Mrs Poulter.

I expect she's in Paris at the moment ready to cheer on Ian and the boys.

Maybe not - she would be about 110 now!!
    bobmunro said:

Another snap on Earl Rise. Mrs Poulter and her holidays in Asia Minor. Her husband used to pick her up in a blue Anglia. Also memories of Mr Donnelly, football up at Swingate Lane and that old boot cupboard.

Oh the ferry... I remember my mum lifting me up so I could look into the engine room pre-1963.

Later in the 60's Anthony Hawes and I spent a lot of time on the ferry and exploring Victoria Gardens. We were very cool on roller skates and in short trousers, raincoats and balaclavas... smoking a Park Drive. There used to be interesting shops and cafes on the old Ferry Approach and loads of tugs moored on the north side. Remember a kid drowned off Bell Water Gate... place always scared me after that.

• That Woolwich roundabout can be a pain in the arse at the best of times. Hopefully thenew berths will allow more room and mean less traffic blocking.
  • Used to love getting the ferry sitting in the open side by the steps completely p***ed after a four pack of special brew on the train from Richmond. Quality.

That explains your username.
    You're right. I could get to and from Richmond and all the way around North London dodging the fare.

Jesus. I went in there once. Then I left.
  • edited September 2018

Never been on it

It hasn't got a height restriction to ride on it, you should be ok.
  • bobmunro said:

bobmunro said:

Another snap on Earl Rise. Mrs Poulter and her holidays in Asia Minor. Her husband used to pick her up in a blue Anglia. Also memories of Mr Donnelly, football up at Swingate Lane and that old boot cupboard.

Oh the ferry... I remember my mum lifting me up so I could look into the engine room pre-1963.

Later in the 60's Anthony Hawes and I spent a lot of time on the ferry and exploring Victoria Gardens. We were very cool on roller skates and in short trousers, raincoats and balaclavas... smoking a Park Drive. There used to be interesting shops and cafes on the old Ferry Approach and loads of tugs moored on the north side. Remember a kid drowned off Bell Water Gate... place always scared me after that
    Oh, please confirm there was a boot room where second hand boots were donated for training. Mr Donnelly I'm pretty sure gave me responsibility of handing the boots out for football training and I found a pair of adidas and he gave me them to keep. :)
  • T_C_E said:

bobmunro said:

bobmunro said:

Later in the 60's Anthony Hawes and I spent a lot of time on the ferry and exploring Victoria Gardens. We were very cool on roller skates and in short trousers, raincoats and balaclavas... smoking a Park Drive. There used to be interesting shops and cafes on the old Ferry Approach and loads of tugs moored on the north side. Remember a kid drowned off Bell Water Gate... place always scared me after that
    Oh, please confirm there was a boot room where second hand boots were donated for training. Mr Donnelly I'm pretty sure gave me responsibility of handing the boots out for football training and I found a pair of adidas and he gave me them to keep. :)
    I remember the boot room at Swingate Lane very well - generally filled with boots from pre-war days with nails coming through inside. You could barely walk in them, let alone run!
  • Sponsored links:

• As for there being nothing on north side??
    There used to be a lovely little kiosk in the park next to the foot tunnel lift
    My dad used to buy me a wagon wheel but only if if we walked back though the tunnel to work it off
    Lovely times
  • Well the service is pretty shit today.
    Only one boat and one of the access ramps on the east side is fucked (as it has been all week), so don’t see that getting fixed.
  • Oh, please confirm there was a boot room where second hand boots were donated for training. Mr Donnelly I'm pretty sure gave me responsibility of handing the boots out for football training and I found a pair of adidas and he gave me them to keep. :)

Used to feel brave climbing to the top of the boot rack. Yes the boots were ancient but few of us had our own boots in those days. I'm sure the boot cupboard was near Miss Lambert's (Head of Infants) office. Was there also a boot store at Swingate Lane?

• Oh, please confirm there was a boot room where second hand boots were donated for training. Mr Donnelly I'm pretty sure gave me responsibility of handing the boots out for football training and I found a pair of adidas and he gave me them to keep. :)

Used to feel brave climbing to the top of the boot rack. Yes the boots were ancient but few of us had our own boots in those days. I'm sure the boot cupboard was near Miss Lambert's (Head of Infants) office. Was there also a boot store at Swingate Lane?

Yes definitely at Swingate Lane - that's where I used to get mine.
  • Finishing early today.
    DLR from Stratford to King George V and then on to ferry.
  • I popped down to have a final ride on Tuesday. It'll be interesting what the replacements look like, the massive underfloor area for pedestrians isn't needed now, especially with the DLR extension
  • Just boarded the James Newman.
    Surprised at feeling a bit sad.
    Hearing the emergency recording now.