Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Lee Bowyer and the Nine Game Blocks

Comments

• In January, I would like to see us bring in a defender, a winger and a bit of a lump up front. Would let Marshall and Ajose go. Wouldn't need to spend too big to make the squad almost perfect on paper.
  • So ends the first nine game block.

After Plymouth were are

P9 W5 D2 L2

Lee's target is six wins from each nine game block or five wins and two draws as a minimum.

So we're on target, just.

The last four games have all been wins so we're in form going into the next nine.

I don't personally think 5 wins and 2 draws from every 9 games will be anywhere near enough to go up this season. That works out to 85 points, but i think it'll take at least 95 to get automatic.

It's a pretty shit division and i can't see the likes of Pompey, Peterborough, Sunderland and Barnsley losing too many games. After the first batch of 9 games, they've lost 3 games between them.
    80 points will be enough to get into the play offs which is the minimum aim.

I think 27 wins is what you need to get automatic. If we take it in the 9 game blocks, then 5 wins and 2 draws in 2 of them = 34. 6 wins and 1 draw in the other 3 = 57, making 91. This is without the final game

5 wins and 2 draws is absolutely fine as solid top 6 contenders, but you're not going to run away with the league with it only equating to 86/87 points.
    Yeah absolutely, his minimum of 5 wins and 2 draws from every 9 games will easily get you into the play offs. i just assumed that Bowyer's target was automatic and therefore we will need more.

After Plymouth were are

P9 W5 D2 L2

Lee's target is six wins from each nine game block or five wins and two draws as a minimum.

The last four games have all been wins so we're in form going into the next nine.

I don't personally think 5 wins and 2 draws from every 9 games will be anywhere near enough to go up this season. That works out to 85 points, but i think it'll take at least 95 to get automatic.

It's a pretty shit division and i can't see the likes of Pompey, Peterborough, Sunderland and Barnsley losing too many games. After the first batch of 9 games, they've lost 3 games between them.
    80 points will be enough to get into the play offs which is the minimum aim.

I think 27 wins is what you need to get automatic. If we take it in the 9 game blocks, then 5 wins and 2 draws in 2 of them = 34. 6 wins and 1 draw in the other 3 = 57, making 91. This is without the final game

5 wins and 2 draws is absolutely fine as solid top 6 contenders, but you're not going to run away with the league with it only equating to 86/87 points.
    Yeah absolutely, his minimum of 5 wins and 2 draws from every 9 games will easily get you into the play offs. i just assumed that Bowyer's target was automatic and therefore we will need more.
    Yeah agree, we cant just win 25. But if we get a few 5's and a couple of 6's, then that's 27/28 wins which is what Blackburn got and they comfortably finished second.

Realistically, it's doubtful we will have that consistency throughout the season. One 'block of 9' we might only get 3 wins, but then we need 7 in the next. Shrewsbury certainly didn't have that level of consistency but did fall away. I still doubt we will get automatic, I think at least Barnsley and Sunderland will finish above us.

• We might have only 5 wins from 9 games so far, but I people are forgetting the 12 wins in a row that we'll get in March & April. :smile:

• Block Two - games 10 to 18

Luton (A)
    Scunthorpe (A)
    Coventry (H)
    Walsall (A)
    Barnsley (H)
    Oxford (H)
    Rochdale (A)
    Doncaster (H)
    Portsmouth (A)

Luton (3) | Scunthorpe (1) | Coventry (3) | Walsall (3) | Barnsley (3) | Oxford (3) | Rochdale (1) | Doncaster (3) | Portsmouth (0)
    20 out of 27 would be a great return. Would take 16 out of those games.
    Doncaster and Walsall will be the interesting games... Portsmouth will be winnable as we did it at Fratton Park last year

Think Barnsley at the Valley will be the hardest out of that lot
  • Block Two - games 10 to 18

Luton (A)
    Scunthorpe (A)
    Coventry (H)
    Walsall (A)
    Barnsley (H)
    Oxford (H)
    Rochdale (A)
    Doncaster (H)
    Portsmouth (A)

Just squeeze to 18 points
    You’ve only predicted for 8 games there Paulie.
    What’s the missing one?
  • edited September 2018

Block Two - games 10 to 18

Luton (A)
    Scunthorpe (A)
    Coventry (H)
    Walsall (A)
    Barnsley (H)
    Oxford (H)
    Rochdale (A)
    Doncaster (H)
    Portsmouth (A)

1 Luton
    3 Scunthorpe
    3 Coventry
    3 Walsall
    1 Barnsley
    3 Oxford
    3 Rochdale
    3 Doncaster
    1 Portsmouth

So get over 18 points
  • 9 game blocks are for flip charts & management meetings.

just try to win every game. some you'll win, some you'll lose.

too much pressure if we go the next 3 without a win.

footballers are simple folk.
  • (A) Luton - 3 points
    (A) Scunthorpe - 1 point
    (H) Coventry - 3 points
    (A) Walsall - postponed, international call ups
    (H) Barnsley - 1 point
    (H) Oxford - 3 points
    (A) Rochdale - 3 points
    (H) Doncaster - 3 points
    (A) Portsmouth - 0 point
    (H) Bristol Rovers - 3 points

20 points.

37 from 18, game in hand over most teams, into second place.
  • Sponsored links:

After Plymouth were are

P9 W5 D2 L2

2 points per game will get you automatic promotion 9 times out of 10.
    So 92 points should be enough.
    Agree. The old rhyme says it all:
    A win at home,
    A draw away,
    Brings promotion,
    Any day!
  • 9 game blocks are for flip charts & management meetings.

Yes and no, Golfie.

Absolutely agree you can only play one game at a time - and that's where your focus should be.
    But breaking the season down into '9-game mini-seasons', also gives a measure of progress being made.

If the team is struggling, it gives a 'time focus' to put things right. Win that 'mini-season', you're on target and know you are in a good place, which builds confidence to progress the next 'mini-season'.

But the focus will always be on one game at a time.

• Oggy Red said:

9 game blocks are for flip charts & management meetings.

Yes and no, Golfie.

Absolutely agree you can only play one game at a time - and that's where your focus should be.
    But breaking the season down into '9-game mini-seasons', also gives a measure of progress being made.

If the team is struggling, it gives a 'time focus' to put things right. Win that 'mini-season', you're on target and know you are in a good place, which builds confidence to progress the next 'mini-season'.

But the focus will always be on one game at a time.

This.

Is exactly what Powell did throughout the season we won League One last time.
  • Winning four on the bounce is going to help you reach the target. I am still trying to gauge how good the good teams are in this league. I honestly don't think there is a Blackburn or Wigan this season.
  • Winning four on the bounce is going to help you reach the target. I am still trying to gauge how good the good teams are in this league. I honestly don't think there is a Blackburn or Wigan this season.

It's a shame the Walsall game will probably get called off.
    But in a months time we will have at least another 4 games behind us
    Including
    Scunny a
    Luton a
    And Barnsley at home we will then have more idea , beat Luton Saturday and we will be 8 ahead of them.
  • Having just won four in a row to end the first block takes the pressure off the next game. It's the start of a new block rather than a fifth in a row. Helpful - bit like monthly sales targets in the commercial world.

Oh, there is ...... it's us! :wink:

• edited October 2018
    So how are we doing in block II?

Luton (A) 1
    Scunthorpe (A) 0
    Coventry (H) 0
    Barnsley (H) 3
    Oxford (H) 1
    Rochdale (A)
    Doncaster (H)
    Walsall (A)
    Portsmouth (A)*

Five points from a possible 15 so far.

We need to win the next four to hit the five wins/two draws minimum.

* Likely to be postponed for international call ups in which case Bristol Rovers (H) becomes game 9

• So how are we doing in block II?

Luton (A) 1
    Scunthorpe (A) 0
    Coventry (H) 0
    Barnsley (H) 3
    Oxford (H) 1
    Rochdale (A)
    Doncaster (H)
    Portsmouth (A)*
    Bristol Rovers (H)

* Likely to be postponed for international call ups in which case Burton Albion (A) becomes game 9

Rearranged Walsall game 6 November Henners.
  • Sponsored links:

• RedChaser said:

So how are we doing in block II?

Luton (A) 1
    Scunthorpe (A) 0
    Coventry (H) 0
    Barnsley (H) 3
    Oxford (H) 1
    Rochdale (A)
    Doncaster (H)
    Portsmouth (A)*
    Bristol Rovers (H)

* Likely to be postponed for international call ups in which case Burton Albion (A) becomes game 9

Rearranged Walsall game 6 November Henners.
    Thanks @RedChaser will edit
  • edited October 2018
    Four winnable games to be fair. Assuming Portsmouth away is postponed
  • Croydon said:

Coventry and oxford were winnable
  • clb74 said:

Croydon said:

Cov 4 wins on the spin now, though.
  • clb74 said:

Croydon said:

Cov 4 wins on the spin now, though.
    Was still winnable
  • clb74 said:

Croydon said:

Totally agree with you, but that doesn't change the fact we should beat the next 4 teams if were serious about promotion.

As I write this we're losing 1-0 with less than 20mins to go, so I guess that's that for this block.
  • I hate this block.
  • There's no point even looking at this until we're averaging 2 points a game.

To do that we would have to win 8 consecutive games.

All very well if you genuinely believe you are automatic promotion contenders but we're actually closer to 1 point a game than 2.
  • Nine game block of crap.
  • Get average 2 points per game or thereabouts = promotion. Who gives a shit about some weird 9 game thing.