Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Speculation and sleaze in Belgian football

A very interesting article from the New York Times

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/09/sports/soccer/belgian-clubs-and-foreign-money-a-modern-soccer-mix.html

So much potential for undermining the integrity of the sport, especially with players agents moving into club ownership

Comments

• How long before Roland claims they are all copying him, and that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery?
  • Is it very different to how Arsenal used Beveren for years though?

Belgium has more lenient rules when it comes to signing Non-EU players so the likes of Arsenal were able to send the likes of Toure and Eboue over to Beveren for a few years until they were then eligible to get a permit allowing them to come and play here in England
  • Reading that, I think I get an understanding of how Duchâtelet thinks he is a success. That Belgian 2nd Division sounds like a mess and full of power hungry & money mad individuals, with no idea about football at all.

Belgium appears to be a cheap and slightly dirty country that accommodates these people and the players they are trafficking.
  • Chatting to some Leicester fans recently who were singing the praises of Nigel Pearson .. 'where's he now' asked I .. 'managing a club in Belgium owned by the same people who own us (i.e. the Foxes)' was the reply .. so the Duchatelet 'model' is far from unique .. the owners of Watford have shown that it can work given the right resources and management
  • N01R4M said:

How long before Roland claims they are all copying him, and that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery?

It's pretty clear that the methods employed at St Truiden are working at The Valley!
  • Love Rory K. Smith (or now just Rory Smith). The articles he writes for the NYT are so good, especially for an American publication, that it's unreal.