Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Lands End to John O'Groats Cycling (in aid of Parkinson’s UK)

Evening All,

Think I have finally cracked up. Have signed up for the above. Am supporting Parkinson's UK - my mum has had the illness for 7 years and as such it is a charity close to my heart.

The challenge itself is daunting, but the £2900 fund raising total is even more scary!

Am on a begging mission here. Anything you feel you can contribute would be gratefully received.

Cheers

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/Tim-Chick2

Comments

• Tim. You forgot to mention that you will be cycling 1000 miles in 12 days!! That level of masochism deserves plenty of support from your fellow Addicks!
    I know a couple of mates who have Parkinsons, and one of them is looking more frail each time I see him, so I have a bit of an idea of the effects the disease has on people. I have started your fundraising off with a few quid and hope more than a few others follow suit.

If you need a bit of company while training, then I and a whole host of other Addicks will be preparing for the Football to Amsterdam ride in June (a paltry 150 miles or so), so maybe we could link up. I will also find out if you can become an honorary member of our fundraising cartel in recognition of this extraordinary effort.
  • I little donation to send you on your journey. This is an illness that will affect more and more until scientists find a way to stop it.

Enjoy the end bit.
  • One of my neighbours just broke the record for that ride (43hours 25 min of non stop cycling) - something to aim for :smile:
  • Thanks for the initial donations. Much appreciated.
  • Would love to do this one day. Good luck.
  • edited September 2018
    I did this back in 06 unaided on a mountain bike (deffo road bike next time), for MENCAP and at a slightly more leisurely pace with a couple of others, fantastic thing to do, good luck.

I remember one magical moment riding up the Cheddar Gorge up through the mist then up on to the flat above, peaceful, golden corn sunshine and then a deer bounded across the road.

Other less magical moments were odd bnb landlords, nylon sheets and one time having to share a double bed. Fantastic night in the club nr JOG at the end..

I was totally unfit too but have cycled all my life so that might have helped, but I was 3 months post an ACL knee operation. I did about 3-4 days and was about to give up around Bristol, but I just got back on the bike each morning and carried on - we were averaging 60 or so miles a day. When you have others to spur you on you just keep going, and they were quite patient guys thankfully.

I dont recall having any major problems after that except a brief spell in Scotland where the legs had gone, but that didn't last. The hills were tough, and we cycled/walked up the Spittle of Glenshea, but I blamed the bike for my lack of hill ability and not my sparrow legs at the time. The main wall we hit was the allure of a very nice flat all to ourselves in the middle of Edinburgh, by that stage you think you've made it cos your'e in Scotland, plenty more still to do however.
  • One of my neighbours just broke the record for that ride (43hours 25 min of non stop cycling) - something to aim for :smile:

Mike Broadwith lives in NY? :smile:
  • Good luck Clem. Definitely in my list to do at some point when I can't race any more. Might want to hit up Olster for advice on long distance day after day - the TCR will have given him a lot of knowledge he can pass on
  • Good luck, would never want to cycle the route but would love to drive it one day for fun

Shame you cant do it the other way round as you'd be going downhill that way!!
  • You mad bastard. I'll donate after pay day Clem, good luck!
  • Sponsored links:

• Evening All,

Think I have finally cracked up. Have signed up for the above. Am supporting Parkinson's UK - my mum has had the illness for 7 years and as such it is a charity close to my heart.

The challenge itself is daunting, but the £2900 fund raising total is even more scary!

Am on a begging mission here. Anything you feel you can contribute would be gratefully received.

Cheers

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/Tim-Chick2

Good Luck with this. I think you should bump this thread from time to time, (especially end/start of months ;-)), and let us all know how you're doing, post a few pictures.
    Hopefully you will enjoy the experience of this mammoth bike ride. A friend of mine did this a few years back, she had a puncher about 3 miles from Lands End and nearly gave up at that point, in tears. But by the time she got to the upper bits of Scotland she was really into this madness.

My granddad had this nasty disease many years ago, treatments have improved since his day but not without this fine charity.

I wish you and your mother well.

No he lives 50 yards from me in Hertfordshire!

Someone needs a forum name change :lol:
  • Good luck, would never want to cycle the route but would love to drive it one day for fun

I know this was a jokey comment, so I'm not being whooshed here - but there is a genuine reason it's harder to do a JOGLE. Prevailing wind in the UK is from the SW - doing the JOGLE could easily slow you down by 5-6 mph on average depending on wind strength

I know this was a jokey comment, so I'm not being whooshed here - but there is a genuine reason it's harder to do a JOGLE. Prevailing wind in the UK is from the SW - doing the JOGLE could easily slow you down by 5-6 mph on average depending on wind strength
    100% nailed on it will be a North Easterly for 12 days at the end of August 2019!
  • Real men go South to North, its uphill and tougher..

;)

Plus Lands End is nearer to London to start

:)

Someone needs a forum name change :lol:
    Or a decent atlas
  • Bump. Shameless begging begins again!
  • Good luck with the challenge, Clem_Snide. My 85 year old mum has had Parkinsons' disease for 3 years or so, very, very debilitating! Just made a donation on your page from myself and Redman. Wishing you lots of successful training before the ride.
  • Good luck with the challenge, Clem_Snide. My 85 year old mum has had Parkinsons' disease for 3 years or so, very, very debilitating! Just made a donation on your page from myself and Redman. Wishing you lots of successful training before the ride.

Thank you very much.
  • Sponsored links:

• Tim - can I suggest you change the title of the thread to include Parkinsons fundraiser or something. At the moment I suspect your thread only attracts cyclists.
  • redman said:

Tim - can I suggest you change the title of the thread to include Parkinsons fundraiser or something. At the moment I suspect your thread only attracts cyclists.

That is a very good idea, can't work out how to do it though!

Admin, can you add - In Support Of Parkinson's UK to the end of the thread title.

Cheers
  • Done. All the very best - you have my admiration!
  • Hi All, thanks to everyone who has donated so far. Not a bad start and am just over £400 into my target.

First fund raising idea is a night at Crayford dogs, I can get some tickets FOC and then sell them on for the charity. Would any lifers be interested in having a night there if I get the tickets?
  • Shameless bump!

Text donations now available Text TCLJ74 £chosen amount up to £10 to 70070

Cheers
  • Bumping this up.

Now have a few collecting tins which I am looking to place. Does anyone know a shop or bar owner who would take one, or have any suggestions as to where I could leave them?

Cheers.
  • Bumping this up.

Now have a few collecting tins which I am looking to place. Does anyone know a shop or bar owner who would take one, or have any suggestions as to where I could leave them?

Cheers.

I think someone on here might once have run a shop in Grove Park...
  • Bumping this up.

Cheers.

I think someone on here might once have run a shop in Grove Park...
    You serious? I bet he could tell us a few stories
  • He doesn't like to mention it...