Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Bradford v Charlton | Sat 15 Sept | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Bradford City v Charlton Athletic
Saturday 15th September 2018 … 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Jeremy Simpson (Lancashire)

Introduction

Charlton go into this weekend having seemingly picked up a slice of form… seven points out of a possible nine from the last three games have propelled the Addicks into Play-Off contention and despite it being early days, is a good sign of what Lee Bowyer and his side can potentially achieve should luck remain on their side… This Saturday it’s a trip up the M1 to Bradford where we’ll be facing a team having their own struggling start to a season that should be much improved come May.

The Opposition
Name: Bradford City | Manager: David Hopkin
Ground: Valley Parade

No one said being a Football Manager was easy and even before the end of September, two managers in League One found themselves being sacked… the second of those being the more recent with the unknown Michael Collins being given no opportunity to show what he could achieve at Bradford, despite two wins the Bradford owners would fear for their clubs future at this level and on 3rd September would part company with Collins!!

Incoming is a man Charlton fans will be well aware of… Having had a successful career, he’s most remembered for having two spells in Surrey with Crystal Palace – A spell at Leeds in between means he’ll be familiar with our own Manager as the two ex-teammates come face to face with each other on the touchline. Having had a successful three years north of the border with Livingston (two promotion in two years) means he’ll be well aware of what’s needed to mount a promotion challenge.

In terms of playing staff; Bradford have had to deal with losing a handful of players over recent years to Charlton with Billy Clarke, Mark Marshall and Josh Cullen having represented both clubs (the last of those only on loan from West Ham) – Replacements have been impressive though and the likes of Josh Wright, Jack Payne and Eoin Doyle will certainly offer a fight to our players on Saturday.

Charlton Team News
Tis to be expected really… Since the opening day of the season there has been excitement at the thought of injured players (Fosu | Pearce | Reeves) returning and so strengthening the side, those players are now back (the former out suspended for the second game after his sending off at Southend) yet we now lose Nicky Ajose, Darren Pratley and Krystian Bielik for the short term.

Thankfully the squad saw Joe Aribo returning after missing one game and this Saturday will see Josh Cullen returning to the side, the West Ham youngster would have an impressive debut prior to heading off on International Duty so will no doubt take his place in the line-up… Also signing on deadline day was Jamie Ward, having signed too late to be involved against Southend he too was missing last week due to Northern Ireland commitments so will surely take his place on a strengthening bench.

Steer
Bauer | Pearce | Sarr
Solly | Aribo | Cullen | Page
Reeves
Taylor | Grant

Substitutes Bench: Phillips | Dijksteel | Marshall | Lapslie | Ward | Vetokele | Morgan

Prediction
No trip to Valley Parade is easy partly due to the fact that Bradford are one of the best supported clubs at this level of English Football – Our victory up there last season was one of the biggest highlights of Karl Robinson’s reign so there is no reason Bowyer can’t manage the same… With Hopkin taking charge of his first game at Bradford you’d expect his side to be up for any challenge so it’s the same as usual, getting three points won’t be an easy task!!

Comments

• Charlton win , wont be as easy as the form suggests but 0-1 or 1-2 to the mighty addicks! COYR
  • Bowyer indicated in his press conference that Ward might start, and Cullen (after an international on Tuesday) might appear as a sub. Fancy us to win this: 2-1.

Wonder if Reeves isnt quite ready for a starting berth and Ward will slip in ahead of him
  • In the absence of Pratley and Bielik, we do slightly lack steel in midfield. Therefore I'd be tempted to play Djiksteel in there.

OR push Solly into central midfield - he's played there before, has bags of experience and would have the discipline to "sit". Someone like Lapslie could then play right wing back, and give more energy down that side, wing backs do need to provide pace and attacking threat

• Comfortable away win 4-0.
  • 98 minutes of pulsating excitement in the freezing north.

• 0 - 1 Charlton , Taylor with another.
  • I predicted that we would win at Southend to start a run of 5 straight victories.
    Two down three to go.
    3 1 the mighty Addick's to continue our charge up the league.
  • Given Bowyer's comments this week, i think Ward will start
  • Hopefully they continue with their tricky start 0-1 to the Londoners.
  • Sponsored links:

• Got a good feeling about this one and Bradford have had a poor start. 3-1 Charlton
  • Bowyer indicated in his press conference that Ward might start, and Cullen (after an international on Tuesday) might appear as a sub. Fancy us to win this: 2-1.

Wonder if Reeves isnt quite ready for a starting berth and Ward will slip in ahead of him
    my guess is simply that Ward is a better player
  • I'd be quite tempted to bring Dijksteel in to midfield. When Bielik hasn't played in midfield there's often been a hole in front of the back four. That said, playing three center backs plus a defensive midfielder makes us limited going forward, especially when one of the wingbacks doesn't like to get forward.

It'll be an interesting sign of intent from Bowyer. I don't always think things break down this simply, but for tomorrow if he goes 4-4-2 then I think he will be looking to get at them and take three points. Three center backs would make sense, especially with the form the three of them have been in, but it would be more defensive.

If it's 3-5-2 then I agree with you FA, if 4-4-2 Diamond then I think it will be
    .............Steer
    Solly Bauer Pearce Page
    ..............Cullen
    .......Lapslie.....Aribo
    ..............Reeves
    ..........Taylor Grant

Even though I would start with Dijksteel at the base of the diamond, it seems to me that Jackson and Bowyer don't trust him in midfield for whatever reason, in fact I don't think he's played there at senior level yet. I thought Cullen looked good when he dropped in to the base of midfield against Southend. He casn break up play and start moves from the back.

Team selection should be interesting tomorrow. I personally can't see Ward coming in if for no other reason I don't think we really need him to, and he'll have only had a couple days training with the team.
  • I'm feeling good about this one .. Bradford are in poor form though they are not losing by many goals .. conversely, we are in good form .. new manager bounce? .. could apply to us (just about) or them, I am going for us especially now that there is competition for starting places

Bradford City 1 v CAFC 2
  • Ì think I've virtually all my predictions wrong so far this season........so going for a 2-1 home win. Beliek will be a big miss.....he's Poles apart from the rest of them.
  • edited September 2018

Ì think I've virtually all my predictions wrong so far this season........so going for a 2-1 home win. Beliek will be a big miss.....he's Poles apart from the rest of them.

I will take the flag down. I just want you to sit there and think about what you did.
  • Ì think I've virtually all my predictions wrong so far this season........so going for a 2-1 home win. Beliek will be a big miss.....he's Poles apart from the rest of them.

why the abuse flag ?
  • edited September 2018

Ì think I've virtually all my predictions wrong so far this season........so going for a 2-1 home win. Beliek will be a big miss.....he's Poles apart from the rest of them.

why the abuse flag ?
    Bad pun (I've taken it down in case there was any confusion).
  • edited September 2018
    SDAddick said:

I will take the flag down. I just want you to sit there and think about what you did.
    get a grip f f s .. I made a quip about a 'very tall pole' on another post should I now apologise or pay penance? .. I'm not standing up for @golfaddick but pc scrutiny just only should go so far and to imply that a light hearted pun is beyond the pale is just ridiculous
  • edited September 2018

SDAddick said:

get a grip f f s .. I made a quip about a 'very tall pole' on another post should I now apologise of pay penance? .. I'm not standing up for @golfaddick but pc just only should go so far
    Nah it's not a PC it was a joke about a bad pun. Sorry for the confusion golfie, hope you got it in the spirit it was intended. And for the record I snort-laughed at it as well.
  • Sponsored links:

• reading their forum it seems they have quite a few injuries and aren't very hopeful but wish Cullen was on their side
  • Forever hopeful, 0-2 win, although if we are winning 2-0 they will obviously score a late goal
  • 0-2 to the mighty reds following which LeedsAddick cycles the short journey home whistling the Red, Red Robin.
  • ross1 said:
    Did he miss or did it go in? wasn't very clear to me
  • What makes me optimistic is they threw away a 2 goal lead and lost last Saturday in the last six minutes. Weather an initial storm and they should be there for the taking.
  • In the absence of Pratley and Bielik, we do slightly lack steel in midfield. Therefore I'd be tempted to play Djiksteel in there.

OR push Solly into central midfield - he's played there before, has bags of experience and would have the discipline to "sit". Someone like Lapslie could then play right wing back, and give more energy down that side, wing backs do need to provide pace and attacking threat

Not a bad shout, he's got all the attributes to make a decent defensive mid. Worked when Philip Lahm did it.
  • Watched the highlights last week and for most of the game Blackpool looked quite good. Amazed when Bradford went into a 2-0 lead, right against the run of play.
    Would like to think we'll get a result - even if it's a draw.