Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Stokes for £2.7m - he speaks about it...allegedly

WSSWSS
edited January 2007 in Rumours
From addickted.net

Charlton have agreed a £2.7million fee for Arsenal youngster Anthony Stokes, whilst Fulham's Collins John could also make his way to SE7.
Alan Pardew is hopeful that the Republic of Ireland wonder-kid will get the goals needed to keep the Addicks in the Premiership.

Celtic and Sunderland were also after Stokes, after scoring 16 goals in 18 games while on loan with Scottish side Falkirk, during the first half of the 2006/2007 season.

Stokes has decided to join Charlton after being told by Gunners manager Arsene Wenger he was better off leaving the Emirates, as there is no place for him at the club.

The 18 year-old feels he has what it takes to make it in the Premiership and playing for the Addicks is the best place to do it.

"I feel I'm capable of scoring goals in the Premiership and joining Charlton Athletic most certainly suits my current situation", said Stokes.

The deal is expected to be concluded once Charlton have offloaded some of the summer signings by ex-coach Iain Dowie, which have been unable to make an impact.

Elsewhere, Fulham’s Collins John has rejected a £2million move to Watford after they refused to meet his wage demands, which could pave the way for the Addicks to hijack the transfer.

Comments

• Kinsella would be instrunmental in getting him i reckon
  • £2.7m a risk isnt it? Only scored goals for Falkirk, no experience in the Prem/CCC.

I'm surprised Arsenal havent loaned him to see how good he is in the Prem (and therefore justify the pricetag)
  • I agree, they know that bendter is a good player so have loaned him too brum, if stokes was that good they would have done the same.
  • it will be no more than £500k up front with more add ons (re appearances, international caps etc) than you could shake a stick at...
  • ive never understood the "shake the stick" thing
  • Any player is a risk, just look at the ones we signed in the summer. But he is only 18 and has scored a lot of goals! Yes it is only the SPL but he was only playing for Falkirk and not one of the big boys, so his record is very very good in my opinion.

You have to ask why Wenger has kept Alialladerre that failed to score goals when he was on loan at Celtic but is prepared to let this lad go? Is it because he is not from mainland Europe?
  • 16 goals in eightenn games in any league isn't to be sniffed at. As stated it'll be about 500k with the rest added on. Some people still think we paid about 3m for Jeffers but it was much,much less and defo below 1m. RM isn't that stupid and although the fee for Diawara looks steep I cannot imagine that that was similarly staged. Also Brum are negotiating to sign Bertner on a permanent deal. One thing with Wenger is that he doesn't normally stnad in a players way unless they are exceptional, say a Rooney or Walcott, and let's them forge a career elsewhere.
  • to be honest, I think for the right price as mentioned above, it'd be a good buy.

not quite sure who some people think we are gonna be able to sign, there won't be to many 'quality' premiership standard players banging our door down to sign for us at the moment !!
  • this is based on a Sun price.

The same Sun that said we were selling Scott Minto for £2.3m on the day the £700k transfer went through...
  • edited January 2007
    it also says we won't buy him untill we sell some players to raise the 2.7mil, if he is going to cost a lot less at first then we should not have to wait.
  • Sponsored links:

• my concern is when was the last time Arsenal released a player who then went on to do well? And I'm not counting Thomas...
  • Bentley
  • According to Talksport Pardew asked about taking Walcott on loan before this stokes deal.

Cheeky bastard
  • sidwell

kanu

the guy who is at Barca at full back

andy cole!
  • He's only 18 and scored a lot of goals. It'll probably be somewhere around 1m-1.5m with add-ons. Also something to consider is building for the future, we want young hungry players and he would fit the bill. Would you rather have him for less than 2m or Boa Morte who's nearly 30 for 5m?
    And although it''s 'only Scotland' he's been playing for a rubbish team and scoring lots.
  • "been playing for a rubbish team and scoring lots"

He'll fit in well!
  • If he scores anywahere near the amount of goals in the 2nd half of the seaon for us we will stay up (he'll also end up with european golden boot aswell i reckon!!!)

Bring on the stokes!!!!!!!!!
  • my concern is when was the last time Arsenal released a player who then went on to do well? And I'm not counting Thomas...

Matty Upson.
  • stokes was training with us yesterday
  • yeah heard 2day he'd b signed 2day or 2moz

its pretty poss don't think there would have been much talk bout bent leavin if we didn;t already no were gettin in another striker
  • Sponsored links:

• Is this old news then - just appeared on BBC?

Charlton Athletic and Sunderland have both agreed a fee with Arsenal for the striker Anthony Stokes, BBC Scotland understands.
    It is now up to the 18-year-old Stokes to decide what he wants to do.

The Irishman spent the first half of the season at Falkirk, but his loan spell ended at Christmas before returning to the Gunners.

Celtic are also interested in the player who netted 14 SPL goals in his spell with the Bairns.
  • i think the Sunderland bit is new, so he has a choice between Roy Keane and Kinsella basically
  • always good to read the first post properly though isn't it!
  • edited January 2007
    why go sunderland? Knowing our luck he will!
  • Excellent facilities, Roy Keane, good chance of the play offs and promotion, therefore being in a higher league than us next season!
  • I still reckon Celtic will get him
  • Afraid Celtic might be a pull for him too. Come on Kins, use all your Irish charm. Fed up with us being the stalking horse for the Old Firm after Pressley and the Hibs lads.
  • I think this is the Beeb catching up. Sunderland have been interested for weeks but looks as though we have got it signed and sealed.