Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Squad (v Republic of Ireland/Belgium/Iceland from p29)

Comments

• Is Welbeck buying his waistcoats or something?
  • http://www.thefa.com/news/2018/sep/09/ben-chilwell-and-demarai-gray-added-to-squad-090918

2 players moved to senior squad.

Interesting that they have been moved when the under 21s have a qualifier
  • I'd have preferred it had Maddison been moved to the Seniors rather than Demarai Gray

Makes you wonder though doesn't it... Two Leicester players get called up to the Seniors for a Friendly being played @ Leicester
  • The U21 would have to monumentally fuck up to not qualify so I don’t think the two coming up the to seniors would make much difference in terms of expectation from the U21 game.

Southgate not being stupid with bringing up Chilwell and Gray with the game at The King Power, local crowd and familiar surroundings will obviously help.
  • The U21 would have to monumentally fuck up to not qualify so I don’t think the two coming up the to seniors would make much difference in terms of expectation from the U21 game.

not being stupid with bringing up Chilwell and Gray with the game at The King Power, local crowd and familiar surroundings will obviously help.

Chilwell is in better form than Rose and (if picked) could be the long term answer to England's l/back position .. Gray is OK but not yet international class as a striker/number 10
  • Deli Alli out of tomorrow's game injured, will England miss him? sorry but I have not seen anything about him to impress me since before the World Cup started.
  • ross1 said:

Deli Alli out of tomorrow's game injured, will England miss him? sorry but I have not seen anything about him to impress me since before the World Cup started.

Even spurs fans are slowly realising he is not great. Would rather someone like Maddison/RLC in that role.
  • I don't mind repeating myself

Delle Ali is outfield version of David James, if he works purely on instinct he is a genuinely world class footballer. If he has even 2 seconds to think, he will make the wrong decision. I love number 10s who always show for and want the ball, who can hold it, draw a foul or three, who retain possession. Delle Ali isn't the best at any of that, he is a goal threat no doubt about it and he rarely hides.

I'm by no means slagging him or David James off, they are just quick thinking, reactive players as opposed to the more proactive intelligent players.
  • The worst half of English football I’ve seen in the last 4 years or so I’d say. This is horrific
  • How can people expect England to win anything when half the team aren't deemed good enough to play regularly for their clubs?
  • Sponsored links:

• Good to see a Charlton flag at tonight's game
  • edited September 2018

http://www.thefa.com/news/2018/sep/09/ben-chilwell-and-demarai-gray-added-to-squad-090918

Gray 0 minutes
    Chilwell 11 minutes

Was it worth taking them away from playing 90 minutes for under 21's
  • http://www.thefa.com/news/2018/sep/09/ben-chilwell-and-demarai-gray-added-to-squad-090918

Gray 0 minutes
    Chilwell 11 minutes

Was it worth taking them away from playing 90 minutes for under 21's
    Yes, just being around The squad will have been a huge benefit, The u21s will qualify without a problem.
  • Sancho
    Maddison
    Mount

All get 1st call ups
  • edited October 2018
    Southgate has signed a new Contract till 2022

James Maddison | Jadon Sancho | Mason Mount have all received senior call ups

• 4 keepers again seems strange to me
  • Chalobah gets in having played one premier league game this season?
  • England squad to face Croatia & Spain

Trent Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool),
    Ross Barkley (Chelsea),
    Marcus Bettinelli (Fulham),
    Jack Butland (Stoke City),
    Nathaniel Chalobah (Watford),
    Eric Dier (Tottenham Hotspur),
    Joe Gomez (Liverpool),
    Jordan Henderson (Liverpool),
    Harry Kane (Tottenham Hotspur),
    James Maddison (Leicester City),
    Harry Maguire (Leicester City),
    Alex McCarthy (Southampton),
    Mason Mount (on loan at Derby County from Chelsea),
    Jordan Pickford (Everton),
    Marcus Rashford (Manchester United), Danny Rose (Tottenham Hotspur),
    Jadon Sancho (Borussia Dortmund),
    Luke Shaw (Manchester United),
    Raheem Sterling (Manchester City),
    John Stones (Manchester City),
    James Tarkowski (Burnley),
    Kieran Trippier (Tottenham Hotspur),
    Kyle Walker (Manchester City),
    Danny Welbeck (Arsenal),
    Harry Winks (Tottenham Hotspur)
  • Would rather have seen Sturridge than Welbeck the way both have been playing
  • Sponsored links:

• At least four of those players i’ve never even heard of.

Who???
  • 4 keepers again seems strange to me

Going by the size of the squad I imagine there will be a few called up who are simply for Southgate to look at in training... He always seems to call up large squads and then doesnt play a handful of players

i.e. took Nick Pope about three call ups before he got his debut
  • edited October 2018

4 keepers again seems strange to me

Going by the size of the squad I imagine there will be a few called up who are simply for Southgate to look at in training... He always seems to call up large squads and then doesnt play a handful of players

i.e. took Nick Pope about three call ups before he got his debut
    I think it was only a squad or two for Pope. But it's harder with keepers.

But yeah I think for the likes of Maddison and Chalobah and Sancho and Mount it's a chance to see where they are in their development and how they do being with the seniors. And just undd
    er two years out from the next major tournament that's what you'd expect.

As an aside I think very highly of Chalobah, who is vastly experienced at pretty much every youth group for England. Were it not for injuries and coming through at Chelsea he'd have some senior caps by now. He has a ton of ability and is a tremendous athlete. Hopefully he can stay healthy for Watford and England.
  • Good to see some players in form picked like Maddison.

I see Chalobah has been selected despite only just coming back from injury and not started a league game yet ..

Will Hughes might consider himself unlucky - Mout has done well but in the Championship.

Anyway probably start with Dier and Henderson away to Spain and Croatia..

Who???
    Five actually

McCarthy
    Mount
    Sancho
    Chalobah
    Bettinelli
  • Wonder why still no Foden.
  • Wonder why still no Foden.

Young and is barely getting any game time... Sancho is coming off the bench for Dortmund but at least he's getting a good run out whereas Foden gets 2 / 3mins per game - Was stupid to even leave him out for so long when they played Huddersfield as that game was done before Half-Time

Who???
    Five actually

McCarthy
    Mount
    Sancho
    Chalobah
    Bettinelli
    Alex McCarthy was the Goalkeeper for Yeovil in that game which saw him conceding a corner from a Goal Kick

Mount | Sancho | Bettinelli are easy to struggle with as they're youngsters coming through (the latter has been Fulham's Goalkeeper) whilst Chalobah despite being at Watford now has been injured long term
  • Good squad. Southgate has included a lot of technically gifted players, if we can somehow find a way to utilise Sancho and Sterling on the wings I think we could have a very good side for 2020