Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

15 clubs censured, including CAFC, by ASA over betting ads

Comments

• *censured
  • edited September 2018
    I think every page on the clubs website has their sponsor partners at the bottom which will always include BETDAQ.

i.e.

https://www.cafc.co.uk/club/fans/mascot-packages

In general though it looks as if they've removed most pages relating to minors for now.

The whole betting business is a can of worms when it comes to football and juniors. Still find it ridiculous that you can't buy a shirt with the betting companies logo on but you can go to a game and see it all around including on the players shirts.
  • Rob7Lee said:

I think every page on the clubs website has their sponsor partners at the bottom which will always include BETDAQ.

i.e.

https://www.cafc.co.uk/club/fans/mascot-packages

In general though it looks as if they've removed most pages relating to minors for now.

The whole betting business is a can of worms when it comes to football and juniors. Still find it ridiculous that you can't buy a shirt with the betting companies logo on but you can go to a game and see it all around including on the players shirts.

And the player/team posters, whether produced by the club or in 3rd party publications will have their heroes advertising a betting company
  • It's odds on nothing will happen.
  • Not evens bothered!
  • @bobmunro How would you feel if England followed in Italy's steps and banned all gambling ads and such during football fixtures? (I think as sponsorship and on TV though I forget the details)

Are the two now near enough inextricably linked?
  • Sponsored links:

• PaddyP17 said:

@bobmunro How would you feel if England followed in Italy's steps and banned all gambling ads and such during football fixtures? (I think as sponsorship and on TV though I forget the details)

If I never see Ray Winston banging on about Bet365 it won’t be long enough.
  • Any sport worth it's salt would not wallow in the same bed as betting companies.
    The conflict of interests in so many areas is blatant and demeans any sport so involved.
  • PaddyP17 said:

@bobmunro How would you feel if England followed in Italy's steps and banned all gambling ads and such during football fixtures? (I think as sponsorship and on TV though I forget the details)

As we know, horse racing and betting go hand in hand and always has done - football has, to a very large extent, gone the same way. So yes, inextricably linked. When I first came into the game in 1981 football accounted for about 3% of turnover - now it's 65-70%. Betting companies after the advent of the internet became global brands, and football is the global game. This coupled with the start of SKY's ever increasing coverage which gave live coverage of football to the masses for the first time, and of course SKY gain huge advertising revenue from betting companies. Add the growth of live streaming of sport on betting websites and it becomes a powerful mix.

So banning betting advertising during football matches would be akin to banning betting advertising during Cheltenham or Royal Ascot! That said, I would not have an issue if betting adverts were banned or moved to after a specific watershed - although I doubt it would have much impact.

• edited September 2018
    I watched Sky Sports on the weekend for the first time in about a year and was stunned at the number of betting adverts. Sky Bet, Coral, Labrokes, Bet 365, Paddy Power all sponsoring the adds out of and into breaks in play for the cricket.
    Now of course it’s so easy to bet on your smartphone, no need to go out to a smoke-filled bookies.
    Worrying.
    And that nauseating Sky Bet ad with Jeff Sterling about ‘when the fun stops stop’....like someone with a gambling addiction can just stop.

• It’s very odd/weird to see Charlton, Blackpool and Blackburn on the same list...