Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Akinfenwa Yesterday.

Thought he was great first half and really enjoyed watching him waddle around and making use of the ball every touch.

Massive respect at his age and weight to be playing in league one and making a living.

Complete pest and people around me laughing at him and wondering why our players couldn't cope with a pub player.

Doffs cap

Comments

• Did you watch first half?
  • I thought it was Grant Basey blacked up (not very pc I know.....). Didn't have any real effect on the game. Made a nuisance of himself 1st half but nothing in the 2nd. Only real problem for our defenders was that they couldn't get round him to get at the ball.

Should rename him The Blob.
  • Very irritating when he runs thirty yards to stand 6 feet from the ball to prevent a free kick being taken.
    Did it time and time again and was lucky not to get booked for it.
    A right handful though.........until he slowly but surely ran out of steam.
  • Can't help thinking he would have had a better career had he not been carrying so much excess weight. Having said that, perhaps it is carrying the weight that made him the player is - no pace, but an excellent first and second touch with which he invariably found a colleague.
    Thought Pearce eventually got the better of him which led to his withdrawal during the second half.

I did indeed, he didn’t register a shot from memory, the only way I saw him be a nuisance is by being strong but Pearce didn’t give him anything

I did indeed, he didn’t register a shot from memory, the only way I saw him be a nuisance is by being strong but Pearce didn’t give him anything
    He linked play very well and didn't waste one pass. Jamie Vardy he ain't I'd agree but at 36 and 18 stone??? He's doing very well against defender 10 years his senior.
  • Junior I meant
  • Sponsored links:

• Difficult to play against for obvious reasons, but I wouldn't mind us playing him every week. He isn't going to get behind you and is slow and doesn't last long!
  • Don't think he contributed anything to the game. Didn't jump, can't run; many of those bumps and shoulder charges were borderline fouls. A bit of a freak show; a pity if it eclipses Randell Williams, scorer of first goal, who has real talent.
  • 560 games played for 15 different clubs, 183 goals scored. Not sure if those stats are interesting to anyone but I was bored.
  • Virtually 1 in 3 over that many matches is decent. I bet he has a lot of assists to his name too.
  • In the first half he won absolutely everything.

WTF!

WTF!
    Funny how people watch the games differently, not a dig.
    To be fair I agree he won absolutely everything for the first half hour, last 15mins we sussed him a bit and got to the ball first.

• I thought he was a great very big pain in the ass in the first half and was really impressed with what he did.

Not seen a player like him. Not fantastic but different and really quite good.
  • Sponsored links:

• All the time you challenge him for the ball, you will lose. But get to the ball first and he's just a big lump. He's got his uses at this level but not hard to suss him out.
  • Watched on Ifollow and the Wycombe commentators just about wet themselves every time the ball went near him, kinda embarrassing. Thought our back 3 especially Pearce dealt with him well, can only remember him using him ample chest to the lay the ball off a few times.
  • edited September 2018
    thenewbie said:

All the time you challenge him for the ball, you will lose. But get to the ball first and he's just a big lump. He's got his uses at this level but not hard to suss him out.

That is the way I see it. He isn't going to get better, but nobody can argue with his lower league career over the years. Nobody is going to beat him when strength is the factor but when you have sussed him out it explains why he is playing for Wycombe. If it was a good physique for football, we would see more body builders at professional level wouldn't we?
  • Funny how we all see the game differently. People on my timeline saying he’s a good player but I thought he was awful. Pearce had him in his pocket. Fair play to the geeza for making a career against the odds but fuck me if he was down here, our support would be in overdrive at what a shit player he is.
  • Watched on Ifollow and the Wycombe commentators just about wet themselves every time the ball went near him, kinda embarrassing. Thought our back 3 especially Pearce dealt with him well, can only remember him using him ample chest to the lay the ball off a few times.

They dealt with him, but it didn't look totally comfortable, but deal with him they did. it is a different sort of challenge.
  • Thought Pearce and bfg dominated him the whole game. He managed to hold it up every now and then and make some decent passes but apart from that he was ineffective and our centre backs dealt with him well.
  • Thought he got some joy early on (far from winning everything mind you) and then Pearce, in particular, sussed him out and then had Akinfenwa in his pocket for the rest of the game. He’s the kind of player Pearce relishes playing against and, albeit he is now getting on, I thought you could see why Akinfenwa never played higher than League 1. He wasn’t a patch on what Taylor was doing down the other end.
  • I thought he was really good in the 1st half, he was holding up the ball and laying it off really well for the first half hour especially, and because he has such a physical presence he tends to distract defenders and create space for his teammates.

It wasn't until the end of the first half when he started winning the 50/50s against him.
  • For a big guy he didn't win too much in the air but when he had it at his feet he generally found a teammate with a pass. I can see why he's carved a career at this level but not progressed any higher. I think he deserves respect for what he's achieved.