Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton 3 Wycombe 2 - POST MATCH THREAD 08/09/18

Comments

• Think Bielik is better suited for Charlton as DM.
  • When people are leaving the covered end walking down the stairs singing, you know we are getting our Charlton Back not had that for a while.

Roland fucks off
    Boycotters return

Charlton will be back

@shirty5 why the lol
  • seth plum said:

PWR.

Don't bother subscribing to Netflix, you get a whole box set of episodes in one single game at Charlton.

There were twists and turns, power ebbing back and forth, phases, goodies and baddies, characters introduced, others killed off, the story unfolding with more nip and tuck than you see in a Costume Drama, periods of silence, periods of noise, enough to fondly remember until series two comes in the next game.

I mean Southend last week wasn't exactly without talking points either. The Karl Robinson trademark 1-1 football, repeated like a cheap Australian afternoon soap opera, has been replaced by colour, richness, interest and freshness under Bowyer and Jackson, that anyone would be a liar to say it isn't massively more enjoyable at the moment.

There was even a prelude as the dropping of Phillips became a distraction for many.

We started brightly enough, very much on the front foot, then biff, a Wycombe goal well placed early on provided the end of episode one.

Episode two had Wycombe on top, an impressive display from old heads Makail-Smith, and especially an excellent Akinfenwa, both competitive playing like we would love if they were doing it for us. We came to the end of that tricky second album when the superb all afternoon, captain and leader Jason Pearce decided he'd had enough.

Episode three launched, as he decided to take Akinfenwa on, and put his head neck and body on the line to battle, compete and defend. What an example he proved to be in that spell, and it was men against men when after a particularly shuddering daggers drawn collision, both guys shook each others hand in manly respect, it was becoming proper Chariots of Fire.

It was indeed, because as soon as Pearce started to inspire others with sheer example, episode four had that slow motion feel as we passed around, and got increasingly closer, and, oh, we scored! Or rather Wycombe scored an unlucky yet head in hand own goal, the motion got slower and the music started to swell, expressions reversed in all parts of the stadium.

Episode five, the final part of the half, was both teams pugnacious wanting to show they still had belief, and both teams wanting to show the other that they could still sting if you weren't careful. Grant got a great stop from their keeper, and we had a spectacular overhead effort from Taylor.

The second half, or seventh phase, begins. Wycombe still wanting to prove better and the were increasingly forceful. Then the moment of big debate arrives to introduce new energy into the series. Pratley gets booked for getting their goalscorer and very dangerous player from behind, very similar to the one at Southend last week, could've got a red in both instances. As a result of his booking, and rather dreary performance up to then, screenwriter Bowyer decides to kill off Pratley and Ajose in a double plot twist and bring on Reeves and Lapslie.

On then to episode eight which is the point when Taylor, now getting more of a platform because of the extremely shrewd substitutions, becomes the star and lead character. Where Pearce had inspired the guys at the back in the first half Taylor decided to do the same with the guys at the front with his predatory, almost animalistic approach to his marker, their number 5. Clashes and injuries and treatment to Taylor followed, but his blasting into life brought on episode nine enigmatically titled "Willpower' by the writers.

This is when we scored twice. Both close range battling finishes, totally deserved from Taylor following a great low cross in, and Sarr firstly offering his face to be kicked before daring anybody to stop him scoring from close range following Reeves' free kick. Those were just the finishes though, because it is an episode called Willpower due to the sheer desire that was coursing through the team at this phase. Aribo, Solly, Lapslie, Grant even Reeves were buzzing beautifully everywhere like worker bees supporting the hive hero Taylor.

The last episode in this series, number ten finished with a finger wagging morality reminder about arrogance, complacency, mortality and all that kind of stuff. A Wycombe goal, a bullet header from a corner as the five extra minutes kicked in. That was the bit that had the shrill whistling, the substitution for the acclaim of Taylor by Igor, became the slow milking it time killing exit of Taylor for the defensively reliable Djiksteel. It all ended however with a sense that there are more thrills and spills to come next time.

And with three juicy points.

A great summary. I was thinking the same myself.
    I haven't seen a game like that, for a very long time, with so many twists and turns.
    Lapslie, ably assisted by Reeves transformed the game and I'd start them both next match.
    Ajose stunk the place out, even if he was playing attacking midfield.
    Aribo and Pratley were average at best.
    Taylor & Pearce were immense.
    Steer, Solly, Page, Bauer, Sarr and Grant all played well.
  • Quite disjointed at times. We made them look good for large parts of the first half. I don't know why we let teams play instead of getting in their faces from the off.
  • Highlight of a dire first half was watching from afar @clb74 sound asleep for the first 31 mins, then doing some sitting two arm aloft celebrations or our goal before settling back to his slumber.

Where is the Elf when I need him !!
  • First half crap. Second better. Midfield is still a concern. Taylor good. Keeper no better than Phillips. Where was the Arsenal bloke?

Had a ticket in the West Upper today and looking round at the home stands was utterly depressing.
  • Thought Joe Aribo was class today.
  • Strange game and performance. At times we were terrible, at other points of the match we were excellent.

Mixed feelings on Steer, had an uncertain first half but improved and showed his distribution ability in the second half. Some of his kicking was Ben Hameresque

We didn’t miss Ajose and Pratley when they went off injured. Getting a bit fed up of the hack from behind which Pratley does every week.
  • Highlight of a dire first half was watching from afar @clb74 sound asleep for the first 31 mins, then doing some sitting two arm aloft celebrations or our goal before settling back to his slumber.

Where is the Elf when I need him !!

Properly watching the dog and duck somewhere
  • I felt this match turned in the first half, there was propa ding dong battle around the half way line involving Peirce and Co, which our players decided thry would not loose!
    Half time Bow helped lots with the subs, all in all an enjoyable hard fought match, it’s got me believing we just may have enough this time!!!!!!

COYR and Feck off quickly Duochebag!!!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Steer look

Strange game and performance. At times we were terrible, at other points of the match we were excellent.

Mixed feelings on Steer, had an uncertain first half but improved and showed his distribution ability in the second half. Some of his kicking was Ben Hameresque

We didn’t miss Ajose and Pratley when they went off injured. Getting a bit fed up of the hack from behind which Pratley does every week.

Street's kicking looked good but hard to see he is any better than Phillips.
  • Ben Reeves, Georgey Laps, outstanding.
  • When’s Sarr getting knighted. Greatest footballer to ever put on the shirt

Getting better and looking the part.

As his confidence grows, I can see him making a big contribution to this season.
  • What a load of b@llocks 1st half that bad I fell asleep.
    Our goal woke me up , at half time a couple of people said did I enjoy my kip.
    Be the same next Saturday as I'll be on the 5.35am out of Bromley south.
    Best I've seen us play this season at home we lost Peterborough.
    And any f@cking chance we can have some on the halfway line for their set plays.
    Ffs it's Wycombe at home
  • When people are leaving the covered end walking down the stairs singing, you know we are getting our Charlton Back not had that for a while.

Roland fucks off
    Boycotters return

Charlton will be back

@shirty5 why the lol
    Because you need more lols, Paulie :smile:

• Oggy Red said:

When people are leaving the covered end walking down the stairs singing, you know we are getting our Charlton Back not had that for a while.

Roland fucks off
    Boycotters return

Charlton will be back

@shirty5 why the lol

TBF I am edging close to 7K now so the more lols the better
  • Oggy Red said:

When people are leaving the covered end walking down the stairs singing, you know we are getting our Charlton Back not had that for a while.

Roland fucks off
    Boycotters return

Charlton will be back

@shirty5 why the lol

TBF I am edging close to 7K now so the more lols the better
    Haha .... okay here's another one for your collection :smiley:

• Wasn’t too worried when Bowyer took off Ajose at half time and brought on Reeves and then swapped the rather clunky Pratley for the more energetic Lapslie. The amount of space in midfield that we were giving up in the first half was poor and Bowyer nipped that right in the bud. Ajose didn’t look anywhere near the races and maybe it was because he was not in his natural position but it was good to see Bowyer change it. We still had to be patient as it took about 15 minutes for us to get a foothold in the second half in which we gave far too many free kicks outside our area. Grant and Taylor look like they can cause problems for any defence and with Reeves, Cullen, Ward, Clarke and Vetokele all coming back we look, on paper, a strong contender for promotion as long as we can keep everyone fit. Good times will be even better times once RD sells up.
  • Lewis Page

Verified account

@LewisPage3
    2h2 hours ago
    More
    3 points at home! Wasn’t pretty at times but good result and keeps the momentum! Happy days

• Sponsored links:

• ross1 said:
    Did wonder if Steer came in because of the opposition rather than Phillips being poor

Next Saturday will be interesting to see who is in goal
  • Joe Aribo

@J_Aribo19
    2h2 hours ago
    More
    3 Points at The Valley!

• When over half the League draw and Charlton win, it’s got to be a good day for CAFC
  • Naby Sarr

Verified account

@nabysarr
    2h2 hours ago
    More
    +3 Well done Boyz The valley was on thanks for the support #backtoback #CAFC

• Jason Pearce

Verified account

@jpearce05
    36m36 minutes ago
    More
    Not at our best today but dug out the 3points. Two big results, need to keep it going!!! thank you for the support. #momentum #cafc #coyr
  • Charlton have fresh injury worries with Kristian Bielik, Nicky Ajose and Darren Pratley all out.

Loan signing Bielik missed today’s 3-2 win over Wycombe with a calf strain.

Ajose, above, was replaced at half-time with a hamstring injury, the same problem forcing Pratley off in the second half.

Addicks manager Lee Bowyer said: “[Bielik] pulled his calf on Thursday. It’s too soon to say [how long he will be out].

“We’re just getting everybody back and then we lose three.”

http://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/953519425?-11197:833