Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Athletic Women's Team - Updates

edited October 2018 in General Charlton
As many of you will know, I have moved over to become General Manager of the Charlton Athletic Women’s team and I’d like to get more fans involved with the club. Women's football is coming along a long way and the development within the Charlton team is fantastic to see.

Women’s football is very different to men’s football. We are independent so funding is very limited in comparison and the women aren’t full-time footballers so money raised all goes towards running of the club including paying for footballs, football coaches, transport to games, renting of our ground etc. There are no stakeholders making profit and a lot of the club is run by the goodwill of fantastic volunteers.

As well as attending games if any fans could help support us it would be very appreciated. We would love to get a game for as many people to come and experience women's football to see how far it has and is evolving.

FILMING TOWER

The Oakwood doesn’t have any raised areas inside the ground so we need to build a filming tower to get good highlights of games. If anyone has any ideas, has any old scaffolding or is a builder and could help us with this it would be hugely appreciated. We aren’t expecting a complete freebie and have lots of advertising we can pass on as well to say thank you for any help. My contact remains the same steve.adamson@cafc.co.uk.

DECORATING OAKWOOD

We are allowed to decorate The Oakwood with Charlton Athletic branding so the ground looks and feels like our home rather than just VCD’s home which we borrow. We want to raise some funding for this so we can re-paint parts red, add signage, add our logo – just generally make this feel more like our home.

PROGRAMMES

We have some programmes left from Sunday’s game as well as programmes for future games available. We are offering subscriptions priced at £2 per programme plus £1 P&P. If anyone would like a Women’s Programme subscription, please email Charltonwomen@cafc.co.uk.

GENERAL FUNDING

We have a very generous new principal sponsor coming on board which we are delighted with, but we still need to raise a lot more funds to keep the club running. If any fans or companies would like to get involved then your support would be very appreciated. From small donations, player sponsorships or larger perimeter board, every penny does help the club survive.

Donations can be sent via Paypal to charltonwomen@cafc.co.uk or please email myself on steve.adamson@cafc.co.uk and I'm sure we can help boost publicity to other businesses and fans as well.

Thank you again for all the fans support, it really is appreciated and I can re-illiterate every penny raised goes towards keeping the club alive and getting more girls and women into the game.

Comments

• Bromley Addicks very pleased with our player sponsorship which includes a season ticket.

And the museum have taken out a programme subscription.

Well worth given the team some support.
  • One question which has a 'YES' or 'NO' answer.

Apologies in advance if it appears stupid to some.

Is the Ladies section completely independent of Duchatelet?
  • My understanding is the answer is yes. When we got relegated from tne Prem. The womens team (not ladies) was disbanded, to be ressurected through the community trust which is independent of the club. Not sure if it is still run by community trust but it is indepedent of the club and therefore Duchatalet.
  • edited August 2018
  • Why move the club to Crayford to the ageing VCD ground, when Thamesmead Town had good modern facilities, car parking and raised areas in the main stand where you can get a good view of the pitch for watching or filming the matches?
    Was there a contractual issue involved? Seems a strange decision by CAWFC to move further away from SE7.

The move was before I joined so I don't know the full details of the move so can't comment much on the reason why.

I know that as part of our bid with the FA to play in the higher leagues of women's football, our ground had to meet certain requirements which Oakwood fits.

There is a larger car park at Oakwood as well as good transport connections.
  • edited August 2018
  • Thamesmead Town Bayliss Avenue capacity 6,000 (661 seated) - VCD Crayford capacity 1180.
    As for transport links Thamesmead has excellent road and bus services and crossrail will open at nearby Abbey Wood in December '18

I'm sure there were other reasons - Sorry I'm not too sure of the details as it was before I joined but all I know is I want to make Oakwood our home and brand it as much Charlton as we can.
  • What attendances do the woman's team get

A few hundred last season but we would love to grow as much as we can now we are in the higher league.
  • Sponsored links:

• Thamesmead Town Bayliss Avenue capacity 6,000 (661 seated) - VCD Crayford capacity 1180.
    As for transport links Thamesmead has excellent road and bus services and crossrail will open at nearby Abbey Wood in December '18

I'm sure there were other reasons - Sorry I'm not too sure of the details as it was before I joined but all I know is I want to make Oakwood our home and brand it as much Charlton as we can.
    https://www.cafcwomen.co.uk/news/women039s-team-to-play-at-oakwood-next-season-2252.php
  • Upto a couple of years ago this site raised money to sponsor CAFC players’ kits. Why not start a similar sponsorship for the women’s team, I’d join in how about the rest of you?

That would be fantastic, and I'm sure we could sort out a different rate for the amount of people who want to get involved
  • Upto a couple of years ago this site raised money to sponsor CAFC players’ kits. Why not start a similar sponsorship for the women’s team, I’d join in how about the rest of you?

That would be fantastic, and I'm sure we could sort out a different rate for the amount of people who want to get involved
    @AFKABartram @LoOkOuT
  • edited August 2018

• The Chairman of CAWFC stated that the club wanted to move the team nearer to CAFC's fanbase, does he therefore assume that all fans live in NW Kent? What about Charlton (SE7) and postcodes in London SE2-28 doesn't he know that a substantial portion of the dwindling support live in SE London. If Charlton fans can get to the Valley they can easily get to Thamesmead Town! It's not rocket science, there is Google and Sat' Nav'. I've never personally had a problem parking at Thamesmead Town and the elevated view of the pitch and comfort for fans is excellent.
    AS the Chairman also states Thamesmead Town staff were very good to CAWFC during their stay and the facilities they enjoyed were excellent.
    I think moving out of the Borough of Greenwich to an older facility in the Borough of Bexley is a backward step, however as Lee Bowyer often says ''it is what it is'', you appear to have tied yourselves to a four year deal so good luck with it.
    Somehow doesn't make sense to this South London boy!
    Good luck to CAWFC in the championship this season.

I've asked for more clarification and a lot of it surrounds the FA bid requirements to play in the Championship. The pitch at Thamesmead would have been used more times by more teams than is allowed in the FA requirements which is one of the larger factors.
  • edited August 2018
  • If you could kindly provide a definitive answer to this puzzling decision, rather than the moving nearer to our fan base nonsense then it would be understood and accepted as a necessary requirement of the progression of the Women's team.

he did
  • If you could kindly provide a definitive answer to this puzzling decision, rather than the moving nearer to our fan base nonsense then it would be understood and accepted as a necessary requirement of the progression of the Women's team.

Hi there

There is not one single reason for the move but multiple reasons of which most are to do with the club's FA Championship bid.

This includes but is not limited to; the amount of games played on a pitch by other teams as well as ourselves, amount of shelter (both standing and seated) and for us Oakwood offers us better warm-up facilities for the players.

I hope this answers the question
  • On the original point if anyone is able to offer any help towards improving the ground and helping us purchase or create a filming tower please get in touch, it is appreciated and we want fans to be more involved with the club.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2018
  • edited August 2018

The Chairman of CAWFC stated that the club wanted to move the team nearer to CAFC's fanbase, does he therefore assume that all fans live in NW Kent? What about Charlton (SE7) and postcodes in London SE2-28 doesn't he know that a substantial portion of the dwindling support live in SE London. If Charlton fans can get to the Valley they can easily get to Thamesmead Town! It's not rocket science, there is Google and Sat' Nav'. I've never personally had a problem parking at Thamesmead Town and the elevated view of the pitch and comfort for fans is excellent.
    AS the Chairman also states Thamesmead Town staff were very good to CAWFC during their stay and the facilities they enjoyed were excellent.
    I think moving out of the Borough of Greenwich to an older facility in the Borough of Bexley is a backward step, however as Lee Bowyer often says ''it is what it is'', you appear to have tied yourselves to a four year deal so good luck with it.
    Somehow doesn't make sense to this South London boy!
    Good luck to CAWFC in the championship this season.

I've asked for more clarification and a lot of it surrounds the FA bid requirements to play in the Championship. The pitch at Thamesmead would have been used more times by more teams than is allowed in the FA requirements which is one of the larger factors.

If you could kindly provide a definitive answer to this puzzling decision, rather than the moving nearer to our fan base nonsense then it would be understood and accepted as a necessary requirement of the progression of the Women's team.

he did
    He was seeking further clarification, try and keep up!!
    keep up : - )
  • edited August 2018
  • You want him to reiterate? Don't do that - we'll just get typo of the year again
  • 'He's behind you'........

'Oh no he isn't'......... :mask:
  • edited August 2018
  • Very best wishes with this @sadamson84 - the women's team is a fantastic opportunity to grow the Charlton brand and influence over the next few years.

Is this your full-time role now, or are you employed by CAFC and do this as extra-curricular activity?
  • Chizz said:

Very best wishes with this @sadamson84 - the women's team is a fantastic opportunity to grow the Charlton brand and influence over the next few years.

Is this your full-time role now, or are you employed by CAFC and do this as extra-curricular activity?

Hi there.

This is now my full-time role. I'm based at The Valley still but officially work for CAWFC rather than CAFC. The GM position is funded by The FA for each team to help boost and promote women's football to help raise funds with the ultimate goal of driving more attendance.