Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

What is your favorite UNESCO World Heritage Site?

Numbers continue to rise from the original 12 in the 1970s to almost 1100 today... Which impressed you and why?

I still love Greenwich.

Comments

• Liked Malacca in Malaysia, cool town to walk around with a vibrant market. Macchu Picchu was pretty impressive as well. Took the train there, none of this walking shit.
  • Sydney Opera House and Tower of London have to be two of my favourites that Ive been to on the list

Yosemite would have to win as my favourite of the UNESCO National Parks
  • Yellowstone National Park.

I just think that it is one of the most incredible landscapes on the planet, always find myself watching the nature docs on Yellowstone.

and the concept of it being a 'super-volcano' and if it erupts it could bring about a mass extinction just intrigues me, considering it is still active and scientists believe it is long overdue an eruption.
  • Yellowstone of the natural wonders, and the Ankor Wat complex of the man-made. Also really like Penang, Malaysia.
  • Not sure I can explain why but I quite enjoyed the city of Gjirokastër in Albania. It's a very weird place.
  • The Hiroshima Peace Memorial. It's extremely sobering to stand on the spot where an atomic bomb exploded.

Hiroshima is a surprisingly nice city for somewhere that was nothing but a flattened pile of burning rubble in living memory. Miyajima just across the bay is a world heritage site too that's worth a visit.
  • Anghor Wat, in Cambodia... just amazing watching the sunrise.
  • Stonehenge, alway something mystical about the place
  • Pont du Gard.
    Impressive anyway, then when you consider its 2000 years old...
  • Sponsored links:

• New Lanark for Robert Owen and Torres Del Paine.
  • The Galapagos Islands are amazing, the remoteness, the unique wildlife.

In terms of cities, Venice takes a lot of beating

In the UK I visited Avebury recently, part of the "Stonehenge, Avebury and Associated Sites" grouping. Well worth a visit, it's much quieter than Stonehenge and you can approach the stones too
  • Hashima island - an abandoned island 9 miles from the city of Nagasaki. Commonly known as Gunkanjima ,meaning Battleship island, this was used in the James Bond Skyfall film.
  • Macchu Picchu

Maritime Greenwich

Great Barrier Reef

Vatican City

Historic Centre of Rome

• Antigua Guatemala (my profile picture)

The Mezquita in Cordoba
  • McBobbin said:

Liked Malacca in Malaysia, cool town to walk around with a vibrant market. Macchu Picchu was pretty impressive as well. Took the train there, none of this walking shit.

You done the right thing, trek there was crap.
  • Hastings Old Town.
  • IdleHans said:

Pont du Gard.
    Impressive anyway, then when you consider its 2000 years old...

Magical place...camped there in 2014.

The Mezquita in Cordoba

Love the Mezquita, and the Alhambra etc in Granada

Antigua is a stunning place too, really enjoyed the cathedral ruins, quite spooky in there

The Mezquita in Cordoba

Very impressed with Cordoba last year when we were there....even had a micro-pub.
  • Sponsored links:

• Pedro45 said:

Yellowstone of the natural wonders, and the Ankor Wat complex of the man-made. Also really like Penang, Malaysia.

George Town.
  • Angkor Wat, with Ha Long Bay as a close 2nd.
  • Taj Mahal; Grand Canyon; Lahore Fort; Tower of London; Westminster Abbey; Lake District; Canadian Rocky Mountain Parks.
  • Taj Mahal; Grand Canyon; Lahore Fort; Tower of London; Westminster Abbey; Lake District; Canadian Rocky Mountain Parks.

Good one, I should have included that.
  • Plitvice Lakes National Park in Croatia.
  • Gunung Leuser National Park in Sumatra.

Mountains, thick jungle and some of the best wildlife in the world.
  • Another vote for Yellowstone Park. Approaching from the NE, travel over the Beartooth Mountains and then drop into Yellowstone. Saw antelopes of all kinds, 100s of Bison and two wolfpacks. The geological marvels add to the beauty.