Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Cat deterrents

Can anyone please recommend deterrents for cats that actually work?

Both sides of neighbours have them and all coming into the garden and shitting all over it which is a pain as having to clear it up every day before letting the kids out there.

Can't really ask the neighbours to stop it as impossible to control cats other than lock them in and don't want to get into petty acts of lobbing it over fences as it achieves nothing and doesn't solve the problem.

A very first world problem I know but any suggestions that have worked for you will be gratefully received.

Cheers

Comments

• It takes a while but my neighbour's cat doesn't like me hissing at it or just the sight of my NERF gun. (If you like, you can blame my great nephew for a 66-year-old having a NERF. That's what I told Mrs cafcfan anyway!) The cat hasn't been in my back garden for over a year now.
  • edited August 2018
    Serious answer, there are plants you can get that cats don’t like, google should help.

There are also battery operated sounders that give off high frequency waves that stop them, not sure how good they are
  • When I was a kid, my mum used to put half filled plastic soft drink bottles (the 2 litre variety) and lay them in her rose garden bed. She said that they would keep the cats away, but I'm not really sure if it worked. It did look weird having two or three of these clear plastic bottles on the garden, but you never know and my mum said it would better that cat poo?
  • Pedro45 said:

When I was a kid, my mum used to put half filled plastic soft drink bottles (the 2 litre variety) and lay them in her rose garden bed. She said that they would keep the cats away, but I'm not really sure if it worked. It did look weird having two or three of these clear plastic bottles on the garden, but you never know and my mum said it would better that cat poo?

Hate to break it to you mate but I reckon that was just her secret stash of Frosty Jack's.
  • Not a serious answer but get a dog

Plan to in a few years mate but can't at present
  • edited August 2018
    A gun might work :wink:

• There are also battery operated sounders that give off high frequency waves that stop them, not sure how good they are

You can buy those to deter rodents - I asked a Rentokil bloke about them a few years ago and he said you just end up with deaf rodents wandering around. Presume it's the same for the cat ones.
  • Sponsored links:

• Can anyone please recommend deterrents for cats that actually work?

Both sides of neighbours have them and all coming into the garden and shitting all over it which is a pain as having to clear it up every day before letting the kids out there.

Can't really ask the neighbours to stop it as impossible to control cats other than lock them in and don't want to get into petty acts of lobbing it over fences as it achieves nothing and doesn't solve the problem.

A very first world problem I know but any suggestions that have worked for you will be gratefully received.

Cheers

Work out what cat belongs to what garden and throw the cat shit back in thier garden
  • cafcpolo said:
    Thanks. Was looking at those so may give them a try
  • clb74 said:

Cheers

Work out what cat belongs to what garden and throw the cat shit back in thier garden
    Was my initial thought but doesn't solve the problem as will still need to door it every day and just ends up causing aggro with neighbours without solving it unfortunately
  • cafcpolo said:
    Thanks. Was looking at those so may give them a try
    A NERF would be much more fun though. And you can pimp them. I particularly like this one. (If you don't want to watch half an hour of NERF geek boredom, skip to 35 minutes - the dinos crack me up!)

https://youtu.be/G7MDrUG4cws
  • Ever thought about getting a cat yourself? best way to keep cats out of your garden! Our two cats are sisters, getting on a bit at 14yo now but they love nothing more than chasing the foxes and squirrels out of our garden. We don't have a litter tray for them. One goes in our garden once a day in the same flowerbed, the other presumably goes elsewhere as we've never seen her.
  • clb74 said:

Cheers

I wonder what Blackpool72's deterrent is?!!!!!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Have the same problem as every house on my road seems to have a cat. Winds me up a treat as my kids step in it and cat shit stinks like no other.
    The problem has eased abit since I got a cat repellent spray from homebase. The problem with this is is that you have to spray it regularly which I forget to do at times. Also they don’t like the smell of lemon.
    Other than that I’m forever chasing them down the street which works for 10 minutes!!!!
  • Human male urine is the best way, what I do is piss into a 5 litre bottle and save it up, doesn't take long then slosh it around the borders of your garden. The frequency things are good too. Alternatively get some cats
  • cafcpolo said:
    these (well a very similar model) have worked brilliantly in my garden with the fox problem.
  • Sadly I've just checked.
    If you can't get fresh, eBay have boxes of lion dung pellets for £11.
  • A size eleven to it's 'arris!
    Works every time.
  • A gun might work :wink:

beat me to it

• clb74 said:

Cheers

I wonder what Blackpool72's deterrent is?!!!!!!
    If I posted that on here I'd probably get banned.
  • Pepper.

Get your own cat/dog

Also, since I replaced soil with stone in my garden it's too cold for the little f*ckers to sit on and sh!t.

I've had mixed success with pellets.

A gun or water sprinkler of sorts.