Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Bowyer's new formation? Solly the CB?

Is Solly really playing centre back now? Trying to work out how all the pieces fit and what Bowyer is thinking.

Have to say it looked like we played 4-4-2 against Sunderland the other weekend but apparently that wasn't the case again Marshall played as a wing back.

I'm now reading that Solly was again played as a CB as part of a three against Shrewsbury.

Comments

• No Solly was Right back
    It changed in second half cos of sub but in first half it looked like

Phillips
    Solly BFG Sarr Page
    Aribo Lapslie Pratley Marshall
    Grant Taylor

Aribo and Lapslie seemed to swap tho 1 minute aribo was out wide than Lapslie was.

• Sage said:

Last week we played 3 at the back with Marshall and Page as wing backs, Lapslie behind the front two.

Yesterday we started as a 4-4-2 with Lapslie on the right, Marshall on the left and Pratley being the more holding midfielder of the two of him and Aribo.

At half time, Bowyer changed it up and went back to the formation we played last weekend. This time Morgan came on for Marshall but played behind the front two and Lapslie played right wing back, whilst Solly actually played left centre back and Sarr right centre back with Bauer in the middle.

Phillips
    Sarr Bauer Solly
    Lapslie Pratley Aribo Page
    Morgan
    Taylor Grant
    When thqt system becomes:

Steer

Dijksteel, Bauer, Pearce

Marshall/Lapslie, Pratley, Aribo, Page

Fosu

Grant/Vetokele, Taylor

That's a good side..
  • Why would Solly play left and Sarr play right? Don't get that.
  • Solly went to LB with Page pushing up, and Sarr to RB with Lapslie going wide right, Morgan on for Marshall- but unless all of the Lower West missed it, nobody announced the substitution to the 'crowd'!
  • Talal said:

Why would Solly play left and Sarr play right? Don't get that.

Allowed us to have control of the middle of the park where it made us have almost like an extra man, it also allow us to spread the play easier with Sarr’s range of passing. He actually done very well at right centre back and I think Solly is very comfortable wherever he plays.

At first I was confused and didn’t understand but it did work so credit to Bowyer for that.
  • chilham said:

Solly went to LB with Page pushing up, and Sarr to RB with Lapslie going wide right, Morgan on for Marshall- but unless all of the Lower West missed it, nobody announced the substitution to the 'crowd'!

It was announced. The PA system to the lower west must be switched off because of cost cutting
  • Talal said:

It seemed ridiculous but it actually worked pretty well; it may have been different if Shrewsbury had offered more going forward
  • chilham said:

Solly went to LB with Page pushing up, and Sarr to RB with Lapslie going wide right, Morgan on for Marshall- but unless all of the Lower West missed it, nobody announced the substitution to the 'crowd'!

It was announced. The PA system to the lower west must be switched off because of cost cutting
    It was announced and I heard it in the Upper West. They must have tweaked the speakers- can't usually hear anything up there.
  • Sponsored links:

• Talal said:

Exactly, what I thought. I couldn't understand a right footer on the left & vice versa.
  • edited August 2018
    Talal said:

Guess it also depends how Bowyer saw Shrewsbury lining up

Usually Solly would sit on the right and face the left-footed winger with Page doing the opposite on the other flank

By going three at the back and swapping Sarr and Solly it could also have been to counter a swap on the flanks by Shrewsbury (I can't remember if they did or not) - Also felt from the first half that Marshall / Page were getting over ran a bit with most of Salop's attack coming down that side, whilst Lapslie and Solly were holding their own so may also have been Bowyer thinking that Page needed more support from Solly than Lapslie and Sarr would on the other side
  • There seems to be too many interpretations of how we line up. I always think it's better when the instructions to the players are simple. "Spread out" should be the message from Bowyer.

• Talal said:

Bows explained his tactical reasons, as he knew people would think he’s gone mad! His interview will be played on tonight’s Charlton Live at 7

• edited August 2018

Exactly, what I thought. I couldn't understand a right footer on the left & vice versa.

If the winger attacking you cuts inside, then you the defender can tackle with your stronger foot,
    stopping him getting a direct shot on goal.

Of course, should the winger go outside, then you're on your weaker foot ...... you don't commit and pressure him all the way, hopefully denying him the space and time to put his cross over. Even if he does, you've delayed him and bought time for your co-defenders to regroup.

• If we are playing 3 at the back, should we be looking to sign TWO centre backs, with Solly in midfield?
  • If we are playing 3 at the back, should we be looking to sign TWO centre backs, with Solly in midfield?

I believe that an important part of playing 3 at the back ,is that the 2 outside defenders are comfortable with their tackling.
    There are times when they need to be able to play like a fullback when drawn into wider positions.

Yesterday, both Solly and Sarr (even for a big man) were able to do that.
    But, for example, you wouldn't want to expose Jason Pearce drawn out wide.

I feel that Bowyer would want to sign a another central defender who is comfortable on the ball, decent mobility and can tackle.
    He might already have that player on board, perhaps, in Dijksteel.
  • Sponsored links:

• Oggy Red said:

If we are playing 3 at the back, should we be looking to sign TWO centre backs, with Solly in midfield?

I believe that an important part of playing 3 at the back ,is that the 2 outside defenders are comfortable with their tackling.
    There are times when they need to be able to play like a fullback when drawn into wider positions.

Yesterday, both Solly and Sarr (even for a big man) were able to do that.
    But, for example, you wouldn't want to expose Jason Pearce drawn out wide.

I feel that Bowyer would want to sign a another central defender who is comfortable on the ball, decent mobility and can tackle.
    He might already have that player on board, perhaps, in Dijksteel.
    Happy to see Djiksteel in a three but not a two, at least until he fills out as Konsa has.