Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Penalty shoot out question...

What is to stop a player deliberately "doing" the opposition goalkeeper towards the end of extra time so he can't take part in a penalty shoot out?

Picture the scene - world cup final, couple of minutes to go and its England vs Brazil. All square and heading for penalties. Neither team has any subs left.

What is stopping someone "sacrificial" like Gary Cahill taking one for the team and going and injuring the opposition goalie so they have to play an outfield player to go in goal for the penalty shoot out.

Cahill would get a ban but would probably take international retirement and be a hero to his nation.

I wonder why it hasn't ever happened before

Comments

• Schumacher did it the other way to Battiston.
  • Pride.
  • What happened to the ABBA system?

No Swedish band jokes

No Swedish band jokes

Good luck with that.
  • That's taking cheating to another level. How badly do you have to go in to deliberately injure a keeper anyway? Break a leg? Would possibly ending another players career really earn a player a heroes reception in England? Doubt it.

That might wash in South America but he wouldn't get another job in football if he did that whether we won or not - the press would pulverise him and rightly so. No TV pundit work, no coaching or managerial work, nobody would touch him with a barge pole after that.

And the whole world would know England cheated to win the world cup we would get zero kudos or respect for that.
  • That's taking cheating to another level. How badly do you have to go in to deliberately injure a keeper anyway? Break a leg? Would possibly ending another players career really earn a player a heroes reception in England? Doubt it.

That might wash in South America but he wouldn't get another job in football if he did that whether we won or not - the press would pulverise him and rightly so. No TV pundit work, no coaching or managerial work, nobody would touch him with a barge pole after that.

And the whole world would know England cheated to win the world cup we would get zero kudos or respect for that.

But apart from that you'd go with it - right?

I'm really surprised it's never happened going by some of the shithouse behaviour at this World Cup

No Swedish band jokes

It met its Waterloo
  • Swisdom said:

What is to stop a player deliberately "doing" the opposition goalkeeper towards the end of extra time so he can't take part in a penalty shoot out?

Picture the scene - world cup final, couple of minutes to go and its England vs Brazil. All square and heading for penalties. Neither team has any subs left.

What is stopping someone "sacrificial" like Gary Cahill taking one for the team and going and injuring the opposition goalie so they have to play an outfield player to go in goal for the penalty shoot out.

Cahill would get a ban but would probably take international retirement and be a hero to his nation.

I wonder why it hasn't ever happened before

Are you Dave Brailsford?
  • Sponsored links:

• i'm sure players have probably been targeted in a more subtle way towards the end of extra time to nobble penalty takers, but I think the main reason it doesn't happen is in the mindset of the players it only takes one moment to score and not need to go to penalties in the first place and players will do everything they can to avoid them (unless they are Russia against Spain I suppose but even they would have broken up field if they could have in the last minute)
  • edited July 2018
    One thing I have wondered is what happens if penalties need to be taken by the whole team to get a result when one team has less than 11 players. Let’s say Team A has two players sent off who are bad penalty takers and it’s level after 9 kicks each. Surely, Team A has an advantage as its best penalty takers can take a second penalty while Team B would be using their 10th and 11th choices. Or, does something else happen?
  • edited July 2018

One thing I have wondered is what happens if penalties need to be taken by the whole team to get a result when one team has less than 11 players. Let’s say Team A has two players sent off who are bad penalty takers and it’s level after 9 kicks each. Surely, Team A has an advantage as its best penalty takers can take a second penalty while Team B would be using their 10th and 11th choices. Or, does something else happen?

This was mentioned the other day.

If team A has 2 players sent off
    Team B nominate 2 players not to take a penalty

http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/82458/penalty-shoot-outs#latest
  • One thing I have wondered is what happens if penalties need to be taken by the whole team to get a result when one team has less than 11 players. Let’s say Team A has two players sent off who are bad penalty takers and it’s level after 9 kicks each. Surely, Team A has an advantage as its best penalty takers can take a second penalty while Team B would be using their 10th and 11th choices. Or, does something else happen?

This was mentioned the other day.

If team A has 2 players sent off
    Team B nominate 2 players not to take a penalty
    If I was the manager of team B, the two players I would choose to nominate would both be team A players.
  • I reckon if it was seen to be deliberate (ie, the player was shown a straight red) the ref would allow a sub keeper.
  • edited July 2018

That's taking cheating to another level. How badly do you have to go in to deliberately injure a keeper anyway? Break a leg? Would possibly ending another players career really earn a player a heroes reception in England? Doubt it.

But in the end the winner takes it all.

I don't want to talk
    About the things we've gone through
    Though it's hurting me
    Now it's history
    I've played all my cards
    And that's what you've done too
    Nothing more to say
    No more ace to play
    Except to break the goalies leg.
  • edited July 2018
    Do penalty shoot out goals go towards your personal goal tally or are on,y goals scored in 90 + 30 min extra time included?
  • Solidgone said:

Do penalty shoot out goals go towards your personal goal tally or are on,y goals scored in 90 + 30 min extra time included?

No, they don't
  • Solidgone said:

Only those in real game time.
  • Orlando City had their goalkeeper sent off before a defender made the winning save as they beat New York City FC in a bizarre penalty shootout to progress in the Major League Soccer play-offs.

The shootout was poised at 4-3 to Orlando after both sides had taken four penalties, when Orlando keeper Pedro Gallese thought he had sealed the win for his side by saving Valentin Castellanos' penalty.

But VAR intervened and ruled Gallese was off his line, and he was shown a second yellow card, having been booked for time-wasting in extra time.

Orlando brought on substitute keeper Brian Rowe, but as he stood on the goalline for the retake the referee indicated a substitution was not allowed and sent him back off the pitch.

Instead, Argentine defender Rodrigo Schlegel took the gloves.

Castellanos scored at his second attempt to level things up and the shootout went to sudden death when Orlando and former Manchester United forward Nani's penalty was saved.

Both teams scored to make it 5-5 before Schlegel's heroics as he saved Gudmundur Thorarinsson's attempt - cue celebrations from Orlando players and staff who thought the game was over, unaware the shootout was still level.

Eventually Benji Michel scored to seal a 6-5 win - Orlando's first ever victory in the play-offs.

Opta tweeted that there had been 21 minutes 35 seconds between the first and last penalty attempts in the shootout.

The match had earlier finished 1-1 after extra time with Orlando having right-back Ruan sent off in the 87th minute for violent conduct.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55032073

• Sponsored links:

• clive said:

Orlando City had their goalkeeper sent off before a defender made the winning save as they beat New York City FC in a bizarre penalty shootout to progress in the Major League Soccer play-offs.

The shootout was poised at 4-3 to Orlando after both sides had taken four penalties, when Orlando keeper Pedro Gallese thought he had sealed the win for his side by saving Valentin Castellanos' penalty.

But VAR intervened and ruled Gallese was off his line, and he was shown a second yellow card, having been booked for time-wasting in extra time.

Orlando brought on substitute keeper Brian Rowe, but as he stood on the goalline for the retake the referee indicated a substitution was not allowed and sent him back off the pitch.

Instead, Argentine defender Rodrigo Schlegel took the gloves.

Castellanos scored at his second attempt to level things up and the shootout went to sudden death when Orlando and former Manchester United forward Nani's penalty was saved.

Both teams scored to make it 5-5 before Schlegel's heroics as he saved Gudmundur Thorarinsson's attempt - cue celebrations from Orlando players and staff who thought the game was over, unaware the shootout was still level.

Eventually Benji Michel scored to seal a 6-5 win - Orlando's first ever victory in the play-offs.

Opta tweeted that there had been 21 minutes 35 seconds between the first and last penalty attempts in the shootout.

The match had earlier finished 1-1 after extra time with Orlando having right-back Ruan sent off in the 87th minute for violent conduct.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55032073

I think I put this better on the MLS thread 🤣🤣

They didnt even mention the referee miscounting, which added to the fun

https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/87373/mls-2020/p3

• Wonder what would have happened if it had gone round to the (sent off) keeper's turn to take a penalty!

I think the ref is sup the other team choose a "non-taker" when the keeper was sent off.

Heaven knows what happens if the score is 10 - 10 and the eleventh penalty is saved. After saving the penalty, the goalkeeper could deliberately get himself sent off so he doesn't actually have to take his turn. Would it revert to his teams best penalty taker to take the eleventh strike and win the game? 
  • Wonder what would have happened if it had gone round to the (sent off) keeper's turn to take a penalty!

I think the ref is sup the other team choose a "non-taker" when the keeper was sent off.

Heaven knows what happens if the score is 10 - 10 and the eleventh penalty is saved. After saving the penalty, the goalkeeper could deliberately get himself sent off so he doesn't actually have to take his turn. Would it revert to his teams best penalty taker to take the eleventh strike and win the game? 
    It probably would but the trouble with that scenario is that if their best penalty taker misses then the opposition's best penalty taker (and all the subsequent ones) is facing a non keeper
  • You get booked for being off your line? I thought the punishment was a retake (if the penalty is saved) - the West Brom ‘keeper wasn’t booked yesterday in similar circumstances.