Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Foul throws during the world cup

2»

Comments

• As the police might say, its a minor offence - let the game flow, lets not worry about minor technicalities ffs.

Bollocks.

LOAF are quite clear and unambiguous.

A foul throw is a foul throw and should be penalised everytime.
  • Croatia are the worst for it

I see what you did there.
    :wink:
  • Addickted said:

Croatia are the worst for it

I see what you did there.
    :wink:
    'Counting crows' sang about it
  • Stig said:

Am I the only one in the world that doesn't like all the requirements of throw-ins. The whole business as beautifully described above by @RedChaser, seems like it serves no other purpose but to confuse young school kids.

Really. Because by the time I started going to games I understood offside, foul throws and where the ball should be for a corner.

There’s nothing confusing about a foul throw, other than why it’s not enforced.

Of course you’re right, it’s not important, until it is. And then like every technical offense, everyone will complain that the ref doesn’t know the rules.

It should be called every time.
  • Stig said:

Stig said:

Am I the only one in the world that doesn't like all the requirements of throw-ins. The whole business as beautifully described above by @RedChaser, seems like it serves no other purpose but to confuse young school kids. What other reason could there be for all that old nonsense? It's like some secret masonic handshake - do you understand all the components of a legal throw in? Ahh, then you're in the secret football society. Both hands on the ball, both feet on the ground, trouser leg rolled up around the knee, stroke the other blokes palm and pretend that's normal... Its all just nonsense. Why not go the whole hog: the ball has to be thrown through your own legs whilst you are standing with your back to the pitch with one leg in the air. If you plant your non-standing leg before two other members of your team have touched the ball that counts as a foul and the opposition are immediately awarded a direct free kick. You must do all this whilst wearing a hat emblazoned with the words 'official throw-in taker' and continuously shouting 'Kabaddi, Kabaddi, Kabaddi...' until a second player on your team touches the ball. If not then...(well, you get the message).

Football is the greatest sport on earth. It is the greatest sport despite, not because of, throw ins. Personally, I'm all for allowing any type of throw, one-handed, two-handed, one foot on the floor, right arm over the wicket, it really doesn't matter. Let's just get the ball in play as quickly as possible and play 'football'.

If you allowed one-handed throw ins we may as well pack up and go home.
    You'd quickly have 2 teams, with their best hurler throwing the ball from one end to the other.
    A bit like Rory Delap when at Stoke, but far far worse.
    I presume you were joking.
    I presented my argument in a jokey style, but certainly wasn't joking. I used to watch a lot of Diadora football in the nineties and loved the kick-ins. I don't understand why everyone wants to hold things back. Let's get that ball moving about.
    The ball would be moving about with one-handed throw-ins.
    It's just that it would be overhead most of the time and very little football played.
    You're not John Beck are you ?
  • It does seem petty, but at the same time how often do we see play get held up because the ball is one inch misaligned when a corner is taken... why be so strict on that and completely ignore throw ins?