Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Penalty shoot outs.

Following a drunken conversation in the pub last night, I might have a theory on how to always win a shoot out.

First player takes his shot, whether it scores or not he continues his run and kicks the goalie as hard as he can in the head.

Obviously the offender is sent off, but the goalie can't continue and subs are not allowed in the shootout stage,thus a non keeper has to go in goal.

Would this be worth flagging to Gareth and the boys?

Comments

• I'd be interested to know what the actual rules are on a keeper injuries during a pen shootout. Would an outfield player have to go in goal?
  • PopIcon said:

I'd be interested to know what the actual rules are on a keeper injuries during a pen shootout. Would an outfield player have to go in goal?

They would be allowed to replace the keeper with a substitute keeper as long as they hadn't used all their subs. If they had then an outfield player must go in goal.
  • Taken from the laws of the game:

A goalkeeper who is injured while kicks are being taken from the penalty mark and is unable to continue as goalkeeper may be replaced by a named substitute, provided his team has not used the maximum number of substitutes permitted under the competition rules.
  • I would assume the answer would be yes - whilst on the subject, was wondering about injured players taking pens - say you get to extra time and run out of subs, and you have to take a player off who is injured, are they still obligated to take a pen if it gets to the sudden death stage if all other players in the 11 have taken one? Or would it go back around to the first taker again?
  • I would assume the answer would be yes - whilst on the subject, was wondering about injured players taking pens - say you get to extra time and run out of subs, and you have to take a player off who is injured, are they still obligated to take a pen if it gets to the sudden death stage if all other players in the 11 have taken one? Or would it go back around to the first taker again?

Not sure, but I always thought it an anomaly that a team can have two players sent off during the game, hang on for pens, and then if they are level after nine pens have been taken, the team two short are not penalised...they start again while the full team has to go with the two remaining players.
  • Following a drunken conversation in the pub last night, I might have a theory on how to always win a shoot out.

First player takes his shot, whether it scores or not he continues his run and kicks the goalie as hard as he can in the head.

Obviously the offender is sent off, but the goalie can't continue and subs are not allowed in the shootout stage,thus a non keeper has to go in goal.

I'm all for playing the cheats at their own game. Especially as FIFA clearly condones cheating - shouldn't be such a surprise from a corrupt organisation. But your tactic seems a bit extreme :) Let's leave that to the Colombians.

No - the numbers are equalised for the shoot out. So if one team was down to 10 men then the other team would have to eliminate one of their 11 from the shootout.
  • Pedro45 said:

I would assume the answer would be yes - whilst on the subject, was wondering about injured players taking pens - say you get to extra time and run out of subs, and you have to take a player off who is injured, are they still obligated to take a pen if it gets to the sudden death stage if all other players in the 11 have taken one? Or would it go back around to the first taker again?

Not sure, but I always thought it an anomaly that a team can have two players sent off during the game, hang on for pens, and then if they are level after nine pens have been taken, the team two short are not penalised...they start again while the full team has to go with the two remaining players.
    I thought if a team had a player sent off, the opposition can then remove a player from their penalty takers (i.e. the Goalkeeper)
  • bobmunro said:

I would assume the answer would be yes - whilst on the subject, was wondering about injured players taking pens - say you get to extra time and run out of subs, and you have to take a player off who is injured, are they still obligated to take a pen if it gets to the sudden death stage if all other players in the 11 have taken one? Or would it go back around to the first taker again?

No - the numbers are equalised for the shoot out. So if one team was down to 10 men then the other team would have to eliminate one of their 11 from the shootout.
    Even if technically the player has not been subbed off (say because all subs have been used) but just unable to continue the game?

I suppose that makes sense that it would be only the players left on the pitch when the whistle blows that count towards the shoot-out...?
  • Sponsored links:

• Eric Dier has been praising Nick Pope for his role in preparing them for pens.
  • bobmunro said:

Even if technically the player has not been subbed off (say because all subs have been used) but just unable to continue the game?

I suppose that makes sense that it would be only the players left on the pitch when the whistle blows that count towards the shoot-out...?
    Yes it is equalised if either a player gets injured (and their are no more subs allowed) or a team has had one or more players sent off.
  • Following a drunken conversation in the pub last night, I might have a theory on how to always win a shoot out.

I think you're still drunk.
  • Eric Dier has been praising Nick Pope for his role in preparing them for pens.

Jordan Henderson wasn't f***ing listening then, was he?
  • bobmunro said:

bobmunro said:

Yes it is equalised if either a player gets injured (and their are no more subs allowed) or a team has had one or more players sent off.
    I think it actually happened when Chelsea "never got beat" on penalties by us. El Kak was injured so Chelsea had to nominate somebody not to take a penalty.
  • Remember an England age group (under 21?) final that went to a lengthy shoot out- went round all 11 players and started again. Fairly certain Scott Carson was in goal. Steven Taylor of Newcastle was a virtual passenger for the last few minutes as he was injured but was made to take a penalty as he had not left the pitch when the final whistle went. With no run up he did score but we lost in the end
  • Remember an England age group (under 21?) final that went to a lengthy shoot out- went round all 11 players and started again. Fairly certain Scott Carson was in goal. Steven Taylor of Newcastle was a virtual passenger for the last few minutes as he was injured but was made to take a penalty as he had not left the pitch when the final whistle went. With no run up he did score but we lost in the end

He may well have said he was prepared to take a penalty or the referee didn't accept that he was unable to take one due to injury. If he was genuinely unable to take a penalty (but he did, and scored!) then it would have been equalised to 10 penalty takers.