Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Sweden v England

3pm on Saturday.

Good time for a football match.

Comments

• edited July 2018
    There's no such thing as an easy world cup quarter final and all 7 teams deserve the requisite respect, but before the tournament if I could have hand picked an opponent out of those 7 teams it would be Sweden (or Russia, but you wouldn't choose the host nation if you can help it).

Having said that I would say if we accept that it was probably at best 55/45 for us to beat Columbia, it's probably only 65/35 for us to beat Sweden by my reckoning so by no means a sure thing.

Just hope there were no significant injuries - Alli, Young and Kane appeared to be carrying knocks, hopefully nothing serious and just more tiredness than anything...

• Will be watching the game in Greenwich before going to what will hopefully be a massive after party with Noel Gallagher at the naval college afterwards
  • I’ll be in Amsterdam for this one. Can’t wait. Come on England.
  • edited July 2018

Winner 25% ...... Runner up 30% ..... losing semi finalist 25% ......losing quarter finalist 20% ...... It’s coming home , it’s fucking coming home

Not according to your percentages!

Glad England have the early game; only 11pm in Japan, which is where I'll be watching. The late games start at 3am there, rather than last nights slightly more civilised 1am (Thai time).

Sweden have been a bit of a bogey team for us but we've broken the penalty jinx, now let's break the Sweden one.
  • Pardon monsieur ??
  • I've watched one live match of each of the sides so far. England won comfortably (Panama) while Sweden put on an extremely average and forgettable performance. I'm going to watch this one as it starts at 10pm on Saturday, perfect time for me. Fingers crossed for an England victory and then I'll get ready for the 2am semi-final next Thursday!
  • Another tough game. We need to go for the early goal. They're such a well organised side and will be tough to break down if they get a lead. Tight game ahead and won't be surprised if it's extra-time again.
  • Sponsored links:

• Another tough game. We need to go for the early goal. They're such a well organised side and will be tough to break down if they get a lead. Tight game ahead and won't be surprised if it's extra-time again.

This. Germany really struggled to break them down.
    It's a winnable game, but it's imperative we don't concede first.
  • So Euphoria over, we may well get through this one with a same standard performance but we need to find another gear, even two gears, before we can think about not coming up short against a better team.

Alli, Sterling and Lingard carry so much attacking responsibility for us but are just not at world class level. I’ve no idea how we change that, without hot changing the whole for,action. RLC for Alli maybe?

100% Alli for RLC and Rashford for Sterling.

Should have been done after 30mins last night.
  • edited July 2018
    Didn't think Ali looked 100% fit and Sterling, well was Sterling. Felt both should've been subbed on the hour. Vardy never did a lot when he came on and neither Loftus Cheek or the other squad players staked aclaim v Belgium but hey in Gareth we trust. Injuries permitting he'll probably go with the same starting eleven and Delph will also be available after the birth of his baby.
  • Alli and Sterling now have a combined 4 goals in 68 England appearances.
  • I would pick Loftus Cheek over Sterling all day long.
    But Southgate is doing such a good job that I'm reluctant to moan to much.
  • Alli and Sterling now have a combined 4 goals in 68 England appearances.

That is simply not good enough. It has to be one or the other - cant have them both in the same team. I’m don’t particularly like either, but I’d probably go for sterling and Rashford in for Alli.
  • Unpopular opinion: Sterling makes us tick, we became very average when he went off.

Wasn't really down to Sterling though, it was down to both sides changing shape. By then we had 2 holding midfielders on and were sitting back a bit more and Colombia had gone all out attack.

2-3 minutes after Sterling goes off they score from the corner and had the momentum. We were desperate in the first half of extra time but whatever Southgate said at the interval worked as we looked decent in the second half of extra time.
  • edited July 2018

Unpopular opinion: Sterling makes us tick, we became very average when he went off.

This.

In Sir Gareth we trust.
  • Sterling first half was poor and he improved 2nd. Agree Ali didnt look fit but personally id be starting Loftus Cheek ahead of Delph.

Bit disappointed that we sat back as early as we did, I know we tried to hit them on a counter but they lumping it up and we couldnt get a foot on it! We let them back into the game when we should have kept pressing.
  • Sponsored links:

• We have a 4 day turnaround, and have just played 120 minutes of mentally draining football, it will be interesting if Southgate slightly changes it just for freshness

I imagine Sweden will sit quite deep, so we will have plenty of possession in front of their defence. I'm not sure we have the creative midfielder to unlock them though
  • We have a 4 day turnaround, and have just played 120 minutes of mentally draining football, it will be interesting if Southgate slightly changes it just for freshness

I imagine Sweden will sit quite deep, so we will have plenty of possession in front of their defence. I'm not sure we have the creative midfielder to unlock them though

I think in many ways Sweden will suit our play much more than Columbia - and of the three games to reach the final, Columbia, Sweden and probably Croatia I believe last night was the hardest. That doesn't mean we reach the final of course!
  • I've watched us against Tunisia, Belgium and Colombia (yes ! I missed the Panama game)
    I think we have a very poor squad with little guile, ambition or skill (except Kane) Three extremely dull and lifeless performances.
    I'm pleased we continue to progress but I don't know how we are doing it.
    It was good to knock out Colombia who were just a bunch of cheating thugs who didn't deserve to win.
    Perhaps we'll bore Sweden into submission?it would actually be nice to produce a performance.
  • So Euphoria over, we may well get through this one with a same standard performance but we need to find another gear, even two gears, before we can think about not coming up short against a better team.

Alli, Sterling and Lingard carry so much attacking responsibility for us but are just not at world class level. I’ve no idea how we change that, without hot changing the whole for,action. RLC for Alli maybe?

so true. last night was totally underwhelming. don't get all the good performance nonsense. it was bang average, wasn't impressed at all.

• Daggs said:

I've watched us against Tunisia, Belgium and Colombia (yes ! I missed the Panama game)
    I think we have a very poor squad with little guile, ambition or skill (except Kane) Three extremely dull and lifeless performances.
    I'm pleased we continue to progress but I don't know how we are doing it.
    It was good to knock out Colombia who were just a bunch of cheating thugs who didn't deserve to win.
    Perhaps we'll bore Sweden into submission?it would actually be nice to produce a performance.

Clearly you didn't watch Sweden against Swiss. Yawn-o.