Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Harry Lennon - retiring due to injury (p4)

edited May 2023 in General Charlton
Southend fan in peace - what's Harry Lennon like? Did Chris Powell work with him before?

Comments

• Spent time on loan @ Gillingham a few years ago ... Was a rock there and they wanted to build a team round him, we had injuries in the Championship so we needed him back and as Charlton fans have never really seen that side of him.

Like Wagstaff and Harriott could help his career by moving on from a club he's been at for a while now yet does have the odd mistake in him
  • Just OK for us, probably be the next Simon francis for you.
  • shirty5 said:

Why do fans from other teams come on here in peace?

Come on here in peace? They leave in pieces once the Charlton Life Mafia boys have torn them to shreds. :smile:

#donttanglewiththemangle
  • edited June 2018
    Oggy Red said:

shirty5 said:

Come on here in peace? They leave in pieces once the Charlton Life Mafia boys have torn them to shreds. :smile:

#donttanglewiththemangle
    I only challenge those fans from SE16.
  • Spent time on loan @ Gillingham a few years ago ... Was a rock there and they wanted to build a team round him, we had injuries in the Championship so we needed him back and as Charlton fans have never really seen that side of him.

Like Wagstaff and Harriott could help his career by moving on from a club he's been at for a while now yet does have the odd mistake in him

Good strong, enthusiastic lad .... will settle down to be a League One rock eventually.

Don't expect a cultured left foot though.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 2018
    Hit and miss, been unlucky with injuries. Marked Will Grigg out the game at Wigan away last season. Powell will know of him, not sure he featured much under Powell in the first team.

• ForeverAddickted ...... I don't know why I quoted your post though.
    Must have meant to hit the 'like' button, but missed. :smile:
  • The main thing Lennon needs is a run of games,he never really got that at Charlton.
    If he stays fit and plays regularly he is more than capable for league one.
  • Fair signing. Big strong lad, had a few injury problems; a bit on the slow side - but then he is a centre back - oh, and he can't pass water!
  • It will be eventful watching him. He’ll either make a mistake, get booked or give away a penalty- probably all 3 every few games.

• Greenie said:

Lennon is brilliant, a bit like Franz Beckenbauer.......only better.

And he's quite a bit younger than Beckenbauer.

• Ponderous, attritional lump of a centre half but is strong and left footed, which helps him. He is prone to a rash challenge in the box, and can't pass for toffee. However he has a physical presence and is a fantastic header of the ball
  • Done little more in his charlton career than give away penalties and cost us games, both from getting sent off or just poor defending in general. Gets an easy ride from some on here as you can see but if he was a Roland import he’d be ripped to shreds. Good luck with him, you’ll need it. Honestly thought a national league team would take him
  • Decent mid table League One defender in my opinion. Not great but nowhere near as bad as Harry above would have you believe.
  • Sponsored links:

• I'm probably toward the "don't rate him" extreme. He's poor on the ball. He gets sucked out of position far too easily. And he gets outmuscled. A bit of pace gets him out of trouble at times, but I think he's slow in reading the game and positioning is suspect at times. He made a couple big mistakes for us last season, but I've always felt he's gotten away with it up until then because his mistakes have been more subtle.

Now, all that being said, he's had a lot of problems with injury and went almost two years without really playing. I think he will improve being fit and playing regularly. But even then I think it could be a while before he's anything more than a mid-tier League One third choice center back. And that might suit you just fine. It's one of those catch-22s where he'll only get better by playing, but given we have two much better left-footed center halves, I don't think it's worth it for us to play him.

Powell has a good record of turning middling center backs into players, so if anyone can get something out of Lennon, it would be him. If you sit deep and make it so that he only has to defend, not read the game, close players down further up the pitch, or play the ball out of the back, I think he could grow into an effective player.
  • Oggy Red said:

Greenie said:

Lennon is brilliant, a bit like Franz Beckenbauer.......only better.

And he's quite a bit younger than Beckenbauer.

And has less bad hair.
    Hope that helps...
  • Doesn’t matter what people on here say, if Powell likes him that is good enough for Southend.

Powell, with us was an absolute master in picking up reasonably priced players, many unloved by their clubs, who went on to be superb League One and above players.... Kermogant, Morrison, Cort, Hamer, Stephens, Wiggins to name just a few.

The main question is, will Powell buy him back for Charlton when he returns after the takeover goes through. :smile:
  • Doesn’t matter what people on here say, if Powell likes him that is good enough for Southend.

Powell, with us was an absolute master in picking up reasonably priced players, many unloved by their clubs, who went on to be superb League One and above players.... Kermogant, Morrison, Cort, Hamer, Stephens, Wiggins to name just a few.

The main question is, will Powell buy him back for Charlton when he returns after the takeover goes through. :smile:

Agent Powell, taking deadwood off our wagebill before coming back with a huge transfer kitty to play with. Expect big bids for Ajose, Magennis and Sarr to come in :wink:
  • shirty5 said:

It's a ridiculous choice of words that show how stupid the poster is. In my opinion.
  • Been very unlucky with injuries and he hasn't had a run in the side for the last two seasons.

A shrewd signing by Chris Powell if it goes through - probably on the cheap - and I think that Harry Lennon will do very well in League 1.
  • You can call me stupid if you want. I'm a frequent poster on the Southend forum Shrimperzone and i've heard much worse. Just wanted some opinions, for which I've appreciated.

ps you're not getting Powell back, he's ours.
  • iainment said:

shirty5 said:

It's a ridiculous choice of words that show how stupid the poster is. In my opinion.
    Catty