Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

World Cup New Stars

The World Cup is upon us and the tournament usually throws up some stars that maybe were under the radar a bit before. Who do you think will come out of it with a much enhanced reputation/rating. I'm going to go for an England player. A player who has impressed me greatly every time I have seen him play. Maguire

Comments

• under the radar can depend on your depth or lack of football knowledge too and how much interest you pay in football outside of England.

Someone like Milinkovic-Savic was one of the best players in Italy last year, so you couldn't count him as under the radar but then the general football fan in England might never have even heard of him.

Lozano is another great example.
  • Rodrigo Bentancur for Uruguay. Broke through at Juve this year and he looks very, very good. A player who looks well beyond his 20 years.

Another for Uruguay who probably won't start is Lucas Torreira. Looked very good for Samp this year.

I kind of fancy Thomas Delaney to break through. Whenever I've seen him for Bremen he's looked good, and he's just signed for BVB.

Zakaria for Switzerland. Saw him a couple times for Gladbach and he looks a real player.

I'm not even going to bother trying to spell his first name Milik. Good end to the season with Napoli, playing up front with Lewandowski. Also, Pietor Zielinski, also of Poland and Napoli.
  • This is one of the best parts of a World Cup.
  • Torreira is a great little player, Arsenal looking to buy him.

I agree on Zielinski too, and obviously Milinkovic-Savic is going to be the best player in the world if he continues his upward trajectory.

Another big name I'm expecting great things of is Mbappe.

Other players that could have a good tournament are Ziyech, Azmoun, Al-Sahlawi and Cueva
  • The World Cup is upon us and the tournament usually throws up some stars that maybe were under the radar a bit before. Who do you think will come out of it with a much enhanced reputation/rating. I'm going to go for an England player. A player who has impressed me greatly every time I have seen him play. Maguire

I hope Maguire gets a chance to show what he can do, could easily be at a top six club!!

Amazing to think that we did the double over a Sheffield United side that included Harry Maguire and Kyle Walker in 2011/12
  • Well, there won't be any Saudis detaining this thread, that's for sure.
  • Well, there won't be any Saudis detaining this thread, that's for sure.

I'm not sure, that 'keeper might live long in the memory!
  • Golovin was sensational yesterday

Standard not really high enough to judge properly but he was a class apart.

"Henry" Hirving Lozano - looking forward to seeing him. Exciting player.

But most of all want to see Rashford play. The fella has it all in his locker but will he explained played in a role that suits? How do you squeeze him in? Much prefer him through the middle than out wide but how do u play him with Kane? Come on Gareth, surprise us and shoehorn kane sterling and rashford into a front three.
  • Sponsored links:

• se9addick said:

Well, there won't be any Saudis detaining this thread, that's for sure.

I'm not sure, that 'keeper might live long in the memory!
    I couldn't believe how poor the keeper was - can't they afford keeper coaches? He looked totally uncoached! Not to blame for every goal though!
  • I would of said Sane......
  • Harry Kane
  • Another vote for Lozano, Pavon I like as well

Mbabbe is lethal domestically in France and I'd be surprised if he doesn't catch fire at some point

I also agree with the plaudits for McGuire, proper defender, a tough unit who can play a bit too. Rated him as a youngster at Sheffield United and he has been quality for Leicester

• The World Cup is upon us and the tournament usually throws up some stars that maybe were under the radar a bit before. Who do you think will come out of it with a much enhanced reputation/rating. I'm going to go for an England player. A player who has impressed me greatly every time I have seen him play. Maguire

I hope Maguire gets a chance to show what he can do, could easily be at a top six club!!

Amazing to think that we did the double over a Sheffield United side that included Harry Maguire and Kyle Walker in 2011/12
    Kyle Walker was a regular for Spurs back in 2011/12. Harry Maguire played for Sheffield United at the time yes, but he was only 18.
  • Milinkovic-Slavic looked very decent
  • Hirving Lozano of Mexico.

19 goals for PSV as a winger in his debut season in Europe, won't be long before he gets a move to a bigger club.

My man Lozano, what a goal!
  • Lozano looks amazing, ashamed to say I don't think I'd heard of him before!
  • edited June 2018
    Wrong thread....
  • Sponsored links:

Happy with my call :)
  • SDAddick said:

Rodrigo Bentancur for Uruguay. Broke through at Juve this year and he looks very, very good. A player who looks well beyond his 20 years.

Another for Uruguay who probably won't start is Lucas Torreira. Looked very good for Samp this year.

I kind of fancy Thomas Delaney to break through. Whenever I've seen him for Bremen he's looked good, and he's just signed for BVB.

Zakaria for Switzerland. Saw him a couple times for Gladbach and he looks a real player.

I'm not even going to bother trying to spell his first name Milik. Good end to the season with Napoli, playing up front with Lewandowski. Also, Pietor Zielinski, also of Poland and Napoli.

Yikes, not good.

I thought Bentancur was very underwhelming. He was asked to do two or three different jobs for Uruguay, including playing as a muted 10 for a team that likes to attack directly or via the flanks. But he really struggled to make an impact.

Torreira was absolutely excellent when he came into the team.

Delaney was nothing special. Zakaria barely played, even though at times it felt like Switzerland could use some youth and drive in their midfield. Milik was poor in Poland's first game and barely played afterward. Zielinski really disappointed.

2/10 from me.

Great shout Muttley.

Harry has turned into a beast for England with a superb temperament. Maguire really caught my eye in that FA cup game and CP last game at Sheffield.
    Took him a bit longer to come through because of a slow start at Hull but since he got into the Leicester side he has been top class.

Seriously, Maguire has made a massive breakthrough in this World Cup from a decent PL player to one who will be interesting all the big clubs, and not just in this country.
  • Mbappe from my list is the only one who made a positive impact