Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

UEFA European Championship Quiz - The 80's

So as we are all once again getting excited about a summer football tournament let's go back to the bad old days. The Euro's for England in the 80's were a disaster. In Italy in1980 the tournament was still a small affair with only 8 teams. We finished 3rd in our group of four and so were eliminated. We didn't qualify for '84 and in '88 lost all our matches. Those last two FINALS we were managed by Bobby Robson. His resignation was called for constantly throughout the 80's by the press and he reportedly did offer his resignation more than once, but due to lack of alternatives (Brian Clough??) the FA refused to accept it. Of course Robson finally went out in a blaze of glory following Italia '90.
So here are 3 questions about the three Euro's of the decade of perms and tight shorts. Mainly England based but not totally. Now of course no one will be able to get everything correct first time, many on here will be to young too remember anything. So if you don't know but are interested in the answers then Google away but PLEASE don't post the answers you have found on here. If you think you know then have as many guesses as you like. Correct answers will be acknowledged asap.

Euro '80

1) Liverpool FC unsurprisingly had the most players in the 23 man England squad with 6. Ray Clemence, Phils Neale and Thompson, Terry McDermott and Ray Kennedy. Who was the 6th?
2) Ray Clemence and Peter Shilton were the first two keepers but who was England's number three "No.1"?
3) Which future World Cup winning manager was in his countries squad? Teams present that were future WC winners were W Germany, Spain and Italy

Euro '84

1) Who scored Denmark's infamous goal at Wembley that put paid to England's qualification?
2) Who scored a hat-trick for England in their (non) qualifying 9-0 victory V Luxemboug?
3) Two future Prem managers were in their countries squads - France and Denmark. Name them.

Euro '88

1) Squads were only of 20 players for this tournament and 1/5 of our squad were registered with clubs outside of England at the time. Name the four.
2) In our 3 defeats we managed two goals. One was scored by the managers son Brian, who got the other?
3) Two future Prem winning managers appeard in the same squad. Who were these two?

Comments

• edited June 2018
    Euro 84.

1 - Allan Simonsen

2 - Luther Blisset

3 - Tigana, Laudrup

Euro 88.

1 - Lineker, Hoddle, Hateley, Woods

2 - Tony Adams

3 - Ancelotti, Mancini

• 80 1 Alan Kennedy? 2) oggy? 3) Beckenbauer?

84 1 jasper Olson? 2) Luther blissit? 3) tigina and Laudrup?

88 1 butcher, Steven, Woods, Lineker. 2) it was against ussr, Tony Adams I think, 3) reberto manchini and carlo ancholoti?

Hope you can make out my awful spelling, probably all wrong anyway.

• Euro 80

1 - David Johnson?

2 - Joe Corrigan

3 - Del Bosque?

• Better answers and better spelling than me Mr otto
  • Riviera said:

Ruined by @ricky_otto

If it’s any consolation, it made a train journey pass very quickly for me - some good questions in there.
  • Riviera said:

Ruined by @ricky_otto

If it’s any consolation, it made a train journey pass very quickly for me - some good questions in there.
    And all your answers were just off the top of your head?
  • Riviera said:

Riviera said:

Ruined by @ricky_otto

And all your answers were just off the top of your head?
    Yes mate. The only ones I wasn’t sure about were Johnson and Del Bosque.